AmaWaterways 2017 Sailings

doktor

Would love to chat for the next 14 months with all that are headed on a European River Cruise with AmaWaterways in 2017. Also, would love to hear about past and current AmaWaterways clients for advice and pros and cons.

We are sailing on The Legendary Danube April 16th.

Thanks,

Sandy

You chose well with AMA. We did a wine cruise on the Danube in Nov. 2014 and honestly for us only pros and no cons. We did pre and post on our own but purchased transfers to the ship from AMA (Prague to Vilshofen).

Enjoy all the planning, anticipation and, most of all, the cruise.

You should start a roll-call thread then, in the appropriate forum.

It could be a general one, like "AMA Europe 2017" or something such, since this type of thread seems to work best.

I find that unfortunately many of these threads tend to be just of the "who's on board?" variety, without much sharing of info about the ports, hotels, etc.

You should start a roll-call thread then, in the appropriate forum.

It could be a general one, like "AMA Europe 2017" or something such, since this type of thread seems to work best.

I find that unfortunately many of these threads tend to be just of the "who's on board?" variety, without much sharing of info about the ports, hotels, etc.

You are very right, however like you stated, these threads tend to get lost. I think, in the case of river cruises, the more broad the topic is might lead to better responses. Even if you are going to China, Russia, etc, you can still comment or ask questions about AMA. In doing my research prior to deciding on where to go, and what line to choose, I found it difficult to find any info on the different lines.

You aren't likely to meet anyone from your particular sailing, so IMHO it's better to post questions as individual threads on this main board than to post on the Roll Call forum -- there are many more "views" here.

You are very right, however like you stated, these threads tend to get lost. I think, in the case of river cruises, the more broad the topic is might lead to better responses. Even if you are going to China, Russia, etc, you can still comment or ask questions about AMA. In doing my research prior to deciding on where to go, and what line to choose, I found it difficult to find any info on the different lines.

Ah, I'm sorry, I interpreted your post incorrectly and assumed you were booked. Then by all means, you should get lots of questions answered here about AMA and that particular itinerary.

Ah, I'm sorry, I interpreted your post incorrectly and assumed you were booked. Then by all means, you should get lots of questions answered here about AMA and that particular itinerary.

Wendy, you are right: He is booked:

countdown.pl?image=panamacanal&name=Doktor&date=4-16-2017&text=Our%20First%20River%20Cruise&ship=AmaDante

We are seasoned ocean cruisers and have booked the AMASonata Christmas market cruise, Dec. 2016. I am hoping to read reviews etc regarding the cruise. Any info is beneficial, no comment too small.

Thanks so much,

Marcia

I agree with you, any info that I can get is good. We too are seasoned Ocean Cruisers. I found it really difficult to get any info on river cruises. The ocean broad are full of info.

Hi:)...I agree about the Roll Call section. I am going on my first river cruise

in April.....and tomorrow is February:D....not much longer now. Anyway,

I started a roll call and nobody has posted on it. It would be nice if there

were some replies but to be honest, I don't care too much. I know I am

going to have a good time:D

And as for information on "River Cruises"......this main board is very helpful.

Ask some questions and most of the folks on here will be happy to answer them.:)

Edited by Lois R

Hi:)...I agree about the Roll Call section. I am going on my first river cruise

in April.....and tomorrow is February:D....not much longer now. Anyway,

I started a roll call and nobody has posted on it. It would be nice if there

were some replies but to be honest, I don't care too much. I know I am

going to have a good time:D

And as for information on "River Cruises"......this main board is very helpful.

Ask some questions and most of the folks on here will be happy to answer them.:)

What line are you going on and what river? Would love to hear from you when you return!

I can understand how it is difficult to receive reply's to a thread designated to an individual sailing and ship.. When you look at the Ocean sailing with their large number of cruisers, and then look at how many have joined a tread, it is totally understandable why you get no responses for individual dates and ships. I will sail with a max of 148. I may be the one and only on cruise critic for our sailing.

Connecting with fellow cruiser is great, but what I like more about the forums is the general or specific knowledge you may be looking for prior and during a sailing.

What line are you going on and what river? Would love to hear from you when you return!

I can understand how it is difficult to receive reply's to a thread designated to an individual sailing and ship.. When you look at the Ocean sailing with their large number of cruisers, and then look at how many have joined a tread, it is totally understandable why you get no responses for individual dates and ships. I will sail with a max of 148. I may be the one and only on cruise critic for our sailing.

Connecting with fellow cruiser is great, but what I like more about the forums is the general or specific knowledge you may be looking for prior and during a sailing.

I am going on AMAStella (brand new...I am on her Inaugural sailing:D)

and the cruise is called TULIP TIME. Sailing out of Amsterdam and going

around the Netherlands and Belgium. As for the name of the actual

rivers? I will do some more research but AMA does not list a name

as other rivers.....you know, Rhine, Danube, etc......

For this cruise it just says Belgium Waterways........

Got my invoice from. TA for our trip April 17. Now to obtain travel insurance. I am almost sure I am going to buy primary insurance, cover preexisting conditions, and cancel for any reason.

Judging by your cruising history -- unless your earliest experience was as a toddler! -- I'm assuming you are "of a certain age." In addition to the medical insurance that you get from a good policy, I advise joining MedJet Assist to insure that IF something goes wrong (enough that you are admitted to a hospital) YOU will be in control of evacuation to the hospital of your choice back home. The annual membership is very cheap (and even better if you have AARP).

Judging by your cruising history -- unless your earliest experience was as a toddler! -- I'm assuming you are "of a certain age." In addition to the medical insurance that you get from a good policy, I advise joining MedJet Assist to insure that IF something goes wrong (enough that you are admitted to a hospital) YOU will be in control of evacuation to the hospital of your choice back home. The annual membership is very cheap (and even better if you have AARP).

I am going to check this out.

• 2 weeks later...
Would love to chat for the next 14 months with all that are headed on a European River Cruise with AmaWaterways in 2017. Also, would love to hear about past and current AmaWaterways clients for advice and pros and cons.

We are sailing on The Legendary Danube April 16th.

Thanks,

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

I'm surprising my DH (his 65th) with an AMA Spain & Provence this July (oh will it be hot but right now its 20 degrees in NY). Like you I have found few people on RC boards unlike the "regular boards". Basically I'm very excited about our upcoming cruise and have started reviewing the 2017 itineraries. The Taste of Bordeaux cruise looks very interesting.

Where & when are you booked?

Carole

Hi Everyone!

I'm booked for my First Riverboat cruise on the AMA Waterways...AMAViola (brand new) on April 21, 2016...Tulip Time cruise.

Question...

Is anyone familiar with the Embarktion and Disembarktion times for AMA Waterways riverboats?

I'm looking for a heads up on the above info from people who have cruised with AMA Waterways before. When can we start to board and when do they usually start off loading passengers at the end of the cruise?

Thank You for any info you can share with me. :)

Pat

Hi Everyone!

I'm booked for my First Riverboat cruise on the AMA Waterways...AMAViola (brand new) on April 21, 2016...Tulip Time cruise.

Question...

Is anyone familiar with the Embarktion and Disembarktion times for AMA Waterways riverboats?

I'm looking for a heads up on the above info from people who have cruised with AMA Waterways before. When can we start to board and when do they usually start off loading passengers at the end of the cruise?

Pat

It is very different from Ocean cruises. Departing passengers off-load at various times throughout the day, depending on their next connection. You have to vacate your room at a set time in the morning, but you are welcome to stay in the lounge or on the sun deck as long as you please. Likewise new passengers arrive at various times -- and there is often overlap. If your cabin isn't ready they will store your luggage and ask you to wait in the lounge (where there will be a light lunch or snacks available) -- or you can leave the ship to sightsee. We generally check in and dump our luggage as soon as we are ready to leave the pre-cruise hotel, and then go off sightseeing unencumbered.

So you can board as early as you like, but there's no need to rush to board early -- your cruise starts with an overnight in Amsterdam and there are no activities before the welcome lecture/reception, which is just before dinner -- this is very important as you will meet the Cruise Manager and the rest of the crew, and learn lots of info about your cruise. After dinner the Cruise Manager may lead a walking tour of Amsterdam, or you will be free to do it on your own.

Hi Everyone!

Question...

Pat

We have departed at 4am on more than occasion due to very early flights.

Upon arrival, we often drop our bags in the morning and then head out to enjoy the area. Many international flights arrive and we have always been able to leave our bags aboard.

For our Tulip Time cruise with AMA, we arrived at Amsterdam airport quite early in the morning, took the train to central station and then walked to the boat. We did not arrive the day before.

Great choice for your cruise!

Edited by caviargal