Seadream II - my first time.....

MillieRyan08

Review of first time on Seadream

After a year long wait we have finally completed our first, but definitely not our last, Seadream yacht cruise. We sailed from Rome to Venice on 23 July 2016 for 10 days and thought you may like to read my thoughts. Unfortunately I am not as eloquent, or as witty as that famed writer, turned tv star, Mr H. Hum. I have read his excellent review in “idle jottings” and I agree with most that he said, with a couple of differences from my point of view. As an aside, we were fortunate enough to share in one or two sparklers with said Hum and aptly described beautiful partner, Blondie, and found them both to be extremely good fun, clever and funny, and most importantly very down to earth, just as I thought they would be. How lucky were we!

So onwards and upwards, my review! After re-reading, I’ve rambled on a bit, but read what you want, discard the rest.

We received our “documents/tickets” about 5 days before our cruise. In fact I had to chase our travel agent to see if anything had arrived as we were planning on visiting other places prior to boarding SeaDream and only had a couple of days to spare before leaving the country. No fault of Seadream. However I was very disappointed when I did get the documentation. I received a photocopy of an email which contained the itinerary and the contract, which were hurriedly put together in the cruise company’s generic folder. I would have thought Seadream would have their own folder with a logo or something. No big deal, and I probably would have chucked the folder out, but not a good first impression, it wasn’t what I was expecting, that’s for sure. I got over it.

The day came to board from the port of Rome and it was filled with so much anticipation I thought I would burst. And it was wonderful, just as I’d imagined it. The day was warm and the champagne flowed. (I checked, it was champagne, phew!). Our check in was smooth and we were whisked to our room in no time at all. I’d read a lot of mixed reviews about the staterooms, and I was expecting a small, oldish room with a tiny bathroom. I wasn’t put off by this of course and I was very opened minded, however pleasantly surprised. Our stateroom was bigger than I thought. It was in excellent condition, and the bathroom was brilliant. I like to put all my toiletries out so they are at my fingertips and there was plenty of room on the shelf for me to do that (with room to spare for my husband who is happy to live out of his toiletry bag!). The added bonus was a dressing table type set up at the end of the bed with a lighted make up mirror where I could spread out my makeup. But back to the bathroom, there was ample storage, how it worked I don’t know, but it did, perfectly. And the shower pressure was the best (never did work out the multi jet thing but I wouldn’t have bothered with it anyway).

The room was nicely laid out with space for all our stuff without having to leave any of it lying around.My only gripe would be the lousy motel style hairdryer. Although I will add that I was warned by the good folk at CC prior to my cruise (thanks Zimmy and vandrefalk) that I should take my own. Alas, as we were travelling around for a month, I had no room to spare and I had to make do. I got over it. Our room attendant (Ederlyn) was the best. Couldn’t find my sunglasses one morning. Finally found them on a shelf, that we had not noticed before. More storage space. One day I couldn’t find my sun hat. And there it was, on top of the lampshade. Great spot out of the way, which we continued to use. I guess I’m saying in a long winded way that the small suite was actually very cleverly and thoughtfully laid out. Loved it!

After unpacking we decided to go check out the boat and of course, started at the top. Our first encounter with a crew member (other than at check in) was with Cameron, one of the bar crew. We chatted for a while, and found out he was relatively new to Seadream, like us. He set the scene for us for the rest of the trip. We were in for a treat, he was wonderful. And throughout our ten days, he would seek us out, and see how we were going.

The food onboard was delicious and nothing was too much trouble. Whatever we wanted, we could have. I wasn’t really going to mention names in this review, but too late for that now. Most days for both breakfast and lunch, and I presume it was the table(s) we chose, either Jerry or Robert were attending us. And how lucky were we. Both were funny and chatty and interesting in their own ways and made meal times all the more enjoyable. They were both a real delight.

The offered wines were sometimes not to my taste, but another bottle (I mean glass, ha) of something else was always suggested so never did I go thirsty….ever……ever……

The condition of the vessel was excellent, contrary to some reviews I had read. A crew member was always painting, polishing, scrubbing, every day.

I really didn’t want to name names because to be honest, every crew member we came across was fantastic. But of course, we did not meet them all so can only go on those that personally interacted with us on a daily basis. And everyday we spoke with Frud, Christophe, Nicola, Cameron, Sev, Jerry and Ederlyn. They are the best. I could not imagine what the voyage would have been like without them.

Overall we met some fantastic people from all over the world, and we even met some great fellow aussies that live 10 minutes from our home.

Seadream lived up to its name and I would not hesitate to book again. Love Love Loved it! I would score the entire voyage a 9 out of 10. Now if the famed Jim Avery was onboard, that would have made my experience complete and my overall score would have been a 10. Next time.

Cheers, Millie

Darling,

Hum delayed posting because of events on SDI.

Hum knows you understand.

Wow !

What a fantastic review.

Review of first time on Seadream

We were fortunate enough to share in one or two sparklers with said Hum and aptly described beautiful partner, Blondie, and found them both to be extremely good fun, clever and funny, and most importantly very down to earth, just as I thought they would be. How lucky were we!

If you really want "very down to earth" then Jim's your man !

Practically subterranean !

Overall we met some fantastic people from all over the world, and we even met some great fellow aussies that live 10 minutes from our home.

Yeah them Aussies get everywhere these days !

But yes they were great fun.

Hum "crashed" their dinner !

They were having too much fun to keep just to themselves !

Seadream lived up to its name and I would not hesitate to book again. Love Love Loved it! I would score the entire voyage a 9 out of 10. Now if the famed Jim Avery was onboard, that would have made my experience complete and my overall score would have been a 10. Next time.

Cheers, Millie

If Jim was onboard you would have given a 10 !

Is Hum reading this correctly ?

Extraordinary.

Most people ask for a refund when he's onboard .......... and they always get it too !

Haha

No, Jim is great !

A true gent, handsome they say (don't see it Hum-self but it takes all sorts), funny, courteous and charming.

And above all a great sport.

It's a privilege to count him as a chum.

A brilliant review Millie.

Shocked about the documentation from SD: a very poor 1st impression indeed.

Yes they ALL say the hairdryer is poor (though Abenaki wouldn't notice !).

But the crew stood out for you as they do for everybody.

And may Hum say how wonderful company you and your husband were.

We thoroughly enjoyed meeting you both, very much.

You determined to enjoy yourself and you certainly did.

A "great little mover" on the dance floor with Blondie too.

It was a real, real pleasure meeting you both.

Will you and that wonderful man of yours be joining SD again ?

Thanks so much......you are an inspiration to others to post (HINT, HINT !).

Millie,

Great review!

You wrote beautifully how hubby and I feel about Seadream and crew!

It's always fun to hear how the ladies in the cabins make space for all their make up and toiletries...while hubby is left scrambling in their little travel pouches! Haha.

Thanks!

Kathy.

Thanks so much......you are an inspiration to others to post (HINT, HINT !).

OK, dearest hum, you were cruising for a bruising ... :D

As an aside, we were fortunate enough to share in one or two sparklers with said Hum and aptly described beautiful partner, Blondie, and found them both to be extremely good fun, clever and funny, and most importantly very down to earth, just as I thought they would be. How lucky were we!

Are you sure, blondie traveled with "our" hum on this cruise???:confused:

While reading these lines, BoH can't believe it! ;)

Great review, Millie, I enjoyed it very much, indeed!

Darling,

And may Hum say how wonderful company you and your husband were.

We thoroughly enjoyed meeting you both, very much.

You determined to enjoy yourself and you certainly did.

A "great little mover" on the dance floor with Blondie too.

It was a real, real pleasure meeting you both.

Will you and that wonderful man of yours be joining SD again ?

Dear Hum Hum, you are just so lovely, you and Blondie both, and we do hope to be on another Seadream voyage. Will let you know beforehand (so you can stay or flee!). And fingers crossed Seadream I can be put back together again for everyone to enjoy. I feel for the crew, its their livelihood, so hopefully their contracts will see them through.

I've posted a pic that probably belongs in "idle jottings" which would add to the numerous "in jokes" that seem to be happening over there, but I'm here now so here is a memory of my voyage that only those in the know will see the funny side. (Hope it works).

Cheers, Millie

IMG_0613.JPG.6b0fffbcea919bd9c4be7597e948991c.JPG

Edited by MillieRyan08

Dear Hum Hum, you are just so lovely, you and Blondie both, and we do hope to be on another Seadream voyage. Will let you know beforehand (so you can stay or flee!). And fingers crossed Seadream I can be put back together again for everyone to enjoy. I feel for the crew, its their livelihood, so hopefully their contracts will see them through.

I've posted a pic that probably belongs in "idle jottings" which would add to the numerous "in jokes" that seem to be happening over there, but I'm here now so here is a memory of my voyage that only those in the know will see the funny side. (Hope it works).

Cheers, Millie

[ATTACH]393779[/ATTACH]

"The Hot Dog Farter" would be more accurate !

Never again !

Only champagne, fine wines and foie gras from now on !

Sorry for the inside joke chums.

It relates to a time when Hum had a reaction to this disgusting food item.

Hum's constitution is delicate (and un-accustomed to processed fast food).

Oh and Blondie and Hum are "stayers".

Would love to meet up with you both.

That's if your first choice (Jim) can't make it !!!

No, fully understand.

Not another word.

Hum's cool about it.........(Grrrrrrrrrrr.....)

Thanks for the detailed review, we are getting excited for our upcoming November SDII cruise. Many of the crew names listed are familiar, but I haven't seen mention of one of my favorite bar staff Andy/Andreas.

Is he still with SD? Or did he get further casting calls after his stint on Ho Hum's reality show?

Thanks for the detailed review, we are getting excited for our upcoming November SDII cruise. Many of the crew names listed are familiar, but I haven't seen mention of one of my favorite bar staff Andy/Andreas.

Is he still with SD? Or did he get further casting calls after his stint on Ho Hum's reality show?

Sadly Andreas left the company........the film offers just poured in.

What do you mean by 'set up'? Given a script, or something more nefarious?

The film producer had an agenda.

He wanted some "edge".

And he would manipulate the actuality to such a degree that he would distort the subject.

We would not "play" but others were manipulated to deliver what he was aiming for.

Yes, having worked in the entertainment/TV business for many years I'm aware that is typical. Hoping that A left on his own accord and not forced because of this

Oh heck no, not because of that (it was only a silly film)......and there H must leave it except to say he was/is a rare talent and is greatly missed by ourselves and crew alike.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review, very interesting as we are hoping to try Seadream soon, perhaps in the Caribbean. Can you tell me what the champagne is on Seadream please? It sounds as though you had a great time, which is very encouraging.

Thanks for the review, very interesting as we are hoping to try Seadream soon, perhaps in the Caribbean. Can you tell me what the champagne is on Seadream please? It sounds as though you had a great time, which is very encouraging.

Jacquart

Whoa Millie! Not so fast. Very glad you had a great SD cruise, but where are the details, the day by day travelogue? Enquiring minds want to know! If you need an example of a detailed trip report, please see my report about our trip to France in ....ij thread. That would be a minimum level of detail we'd like to see (but you can skip parking details....). Those that enjoy reading these threads must pay back :D

Whoa Millie! Not so fast. Very glad you had a great SD cruise, but where are the details, the day by day travelogue? Enquiring minds want to know! If you need an example of a detailed trip report, please see my report about our trip to France in ....ij thread. That would be a minimum level of detail we'd like to see (but you can skip parking details....). Those that enjoy reading these threads must pay back :D

Couldn't agree more Raggy, your detailed acoounts of tank museums, roundabouts, parking ticket dispensers, light and "hole in the wall" burger joints was the "stuff of travel"........like an older Jack Kerouac.

Back in my youth, I read "On the Road" while staying in a mansion at the top of one of the seven hills of Athens. A school chum, Pericles, had a gig house-sitting the manse for a summer. Read the book while lounging by the pool, overlooking all of Athens.

Picked and stomped grapes for a day at Pericles's uncles farm. Evening brought a awesome homemade spread of Greek specialties, and lots of the previous years wine. It was great being a Greek for a week :D

Coming back to work in the US from that I was definitely "beat"....