Carnival magic review

J458r

Hello,

We just returned from a 7 day western Caribbean Cruise on the carnival magic. I wanted to post my honest review somewhere so hopefully it can help someone planning a cruise. I've never posted a review before so I'll probably be less structured then others but I'll post what I know.

Boarding the boat was extremely easy and quick. I expected to stand in line for awhile but I'd say it was less then 20 mins.

Every person we ran into was so extremely nice. We heard constant how are you this morning, how are you this evening , how's your trip going from everyone. I'd say the entire staff were some of the nicest people we've ever ran into.

The food was eh for us. I don't like to complain and honestly it wasn't a make or break for us. We still truly enjoyed ourselves but the food was not a plus for us. We spent more time eating burgers and pizza then we did the MDR. Both daily and formal dinners, buffets and desserts lacked any real taste for us. Most of the food seemed like it lacked flavor. The pizza,Burger and BBQ place were awesome though. With all that being said they are producing food for 3-4,000 plus people a day so I'm sure that adds to it. When you think about it like that the foods not so bad :)

The photos... ugh ... the photos were awesome. They do a wonderful job taking the photos and they know it. As an FYI these photos were crazy expensive and there is no "deals" . This was our first cruise so we had no idea we'd be paying 21 bucks a photo. Again not a complaint just an FYI. We'd take photos again but we'd be more selective on when and where we took them. It's really hard to pick between 20 photos when they all look AMAZING !!

The drinks, oh the drinks were amazing. We purchased the Cheers package and took full advantage of it. We tried drinks we wouldn't normally try and never felt like we had to watch how much we were spending. We had a 15 drink max daily and never hit it once but we did get our monies worth.

The towel animals were awesome and we enjoyed seeing them nightly.

We docked in cozumel, belize, mahogany bay and Costa maya.

In cozumel we went to Mr sanchos and also did some walking around right outside the port. We didn't get to experience all that Mr sanchos has to offer because of some strong waves and wind but what we did experience was pretty nice. For $50 bucks for adults and $40 bucks for kids we got unlimited drinks and food. You could either order off the menu or eat from the buffet. Both options were very tasty and the drinks were nice and Cold.

In belize we did a snorkeling excursion thru carnival. I don't remember the name but it was about $75 bucks and we went to a private island. This was an awesome excursion. For the snorkeling part you had three men with you. One leading the group, the other in a little paddle boat and another gentlemen who was there incase someone got to tired. This man was my snorkeling savor. We all walked in together and practiced putting our faces in the water and breathing with our snorkel gear. Sounds easy enough right? Not for me ! I just couldn't get the hang of it. I was freaked out and ready to go back but this man insisted I give it more time. He swam next to me and took the time to work with me till I got it . He had me hang on to the orange floater he was holding and helped me till I was comfortable and then still allowed me to use the floatation device but it gave me comfort. They had food on the private island which consisted of hamburgers and hotdogs. They weren't the best but if you're hungry they worked. They also had pop, water , coconuts and coconuts with rum. The boat ride to the island and back wasn't bad either.

In mahogany bay we had intentions of walking out of the port and seeing if Victor Boden tours had anything open. While looking we were approached by a gentleman with another tour company(big daddy tours). He offered us a tour of the town with the possibility of stopping at places like the chocolate factory, rum cake , shopping and ziplining. He said it'd be $15 a person but when we suggested $10 he took it(I should add we had a group of 14 all together for our cruise). I'll admit that I was nervous. We had no idea who these people were or where they'd take us. It ended up being a nice tour and the people were pretty nice. We stopped at a ziplining place who offered the ziplining for $45 a person but when we offered $30 a person for the 9 that were going they took it . The kids and adults loved the ziplining and the guides were great they said. I have everyone's cards for all the places we used and will come back and post them once we have them unpacked. They had a small zoo with birds and monkeys which we all enjoyed. After that we went to a little area for photos of the island and some shopping. We then went back to the port and came on board the boat to drop off our things and eat. We ended up going to the private beach from there and did some more snorkeling.

Our last and least favorite port was costa maya. Although the water is beautiful the port people are ridiculously pushing. They were rude and persistent also. I get that it's their job to sell stuff but they were over the top. They demanded tips for everything. My husband purchased a chess set and the seller expected a $10 dollar tip just because he sold us the chess set. This was the norm for the entire port. All of the adults in our party experienced it at several stores. As a matter of fact before you even go in there is a group of people who are dressed up in silly clothing wanting you to stop and take a photo with them. We did it because it was a neat photo opportunity but then realized we didn't have change to tip them. I told the heavy set guy (who I have a clear photo of his face) that I needed to grab change and I'd be back. When I did this he almost became even more pushy. He told me he'd take a $20 then. My husband and I laughed and said no thank you but if you have a $5 I'll give you a $10. He said ok and so I handed him the $10 and then he refused to give me my change back. We immediately felt extremely uncomfortable and left. We ended up being approached by people renting golf carts to tour the city. This was still done by a company inside the port. He gave us a great deal and a map of the area. We were just looking to see the beach and do some non pushy sales people. We drove over to that area and met some wonderful locals who were selling nice souvenirs. They were all very nice and nobody asked for a tip just because they sold us something. We would for sure skip the port and go shopping there again if given the choice. I'm not sure why we only got to port there till 1 but I wish we would have had more beach time.

Our wait staff in the MDR was amazing also. She remembered everyone's name and even made sure to ask where certain people were when they didn't attend dinner on some nights. She engaged us with conversation and seemed to honestly like speaking with us.

The pools were smaller then what we expected but they were still enjoyable.

The shows and parties were nice too.

By the 7th day we were exhausted. I don't think we'd go for a 7 day 4 port cruise again(especially not as a first cruise) but we'd for sure cruise carnival again.

Oh I should add that leaving the boat the last day was pretty easy too.

I'd say the major downside for us was the tipping. I love to tip and we do so pretty freely. I just don't like being asked to tip before I even get the chance. Not everyone was this way but the ports were pretty heavy on the tipping signs. Almost everyone even down to the bathroom attendant expected a tip even if they did nothing for you. I was kind of prepared for this but I just kind of expected to be able to tip on my own and not be harassed for it. All in all with the expecting of Costa maya it wasn't a trip breaker.

I tried to think of anything I could add that could help a future cruiser for this cruise ship but I'm sure I left out 500 things. If you have questions just ask and I'll try to answer. Thank you :)

Thanks for the review!!:D:D

Sounds like you guys had a great time. We are on the Magic in June, and cannot wait.

We've been on the Breeze twice, so we know what to expect.

We also have 4 ports, but we are mostly beach people, so either way, we are chilling out with a drink in hand......:D:D

Thanks for the review!!:D:D

Sounds like you guys had a great time. We are on the Magic in June, and cannot wait.

We've been on the Breeze twice, so we know what to expect.

We also have 4 ports, but we are mostly beach people, so either way, we are chilling out with a drink in hand......:D:D

We were told by a frequent cruiser that your first cruise you try to do everything but after that it's a little more relaxing!! Can't wait till our next one :) we will spend a lot more time on the beach

Brisket on the new bbq was very good. Strange thing though is if you wanted water had to buy a bottle. Many people including us would make a plate and than go up to lido.

My family loved the BBQ place too. That stinks that you can't get water there by the cup. We bought the bubbles package for all non alcoholic passengers but it was barely used. They ended up drinking the free drinks the entire time pretty much.

You did GREAT for your first review! We were on the same cruise, it was our 20th Carnival Cruise so we can relate to being over the food "thing". You will learn to pace yourself when it comes to ports!

It was our first time on the Magic and that is why we chose this cruise. We sailed Dream 3x and wanted to give her sister ship a try. We really love the cove balcony.......we spend a good bit of time out on our balcony. When you have had enough of the crowds it is a fantastic retreat.

I had to laugh at security when we were boarding. I have ALWAYS carried on two 750 ml bottles of sangria with me and this was the very first time the security person questioned, "is this alcohol".......she could not read the labels on the bottles......I had to explain to her that it was wine and carrying on two 750 ml bottles is allowed.......she said ok and off we went.

We attended one production show Flick, it was very well done and enjoyable. We attended several comedy shows......which were loads of laughs, however, the best comedian we remember from years ago is Happy Cole.

We enjoyed several Dive In Movies under the starts......Avengers; Jason Bourne; Deepwater Horizon; The Secret Life of Pets.

It was our 2nd time sailing in January and the weather in ports was amazing. Cozumel and Costa Maya, I believe snorkel excursions in Cozumel were canceled due to the wind conditions.

In Cozumel we went to Paradise Beach and lounged at the pool....best fresh salsa.

Belize we did not leave the ship, another sea day for us, and less crowds around the pools.

Mahogany Bay we walk to the beach. It appears that the big corporations have come in an bought up all the locals that had restaurants on the beach, Fat Tuesday's is the predominate owner of the bars and restaurants.

While in Mahogany Bay the Dream was also docked so the beach was rather busy but there was plenty of room. We met some fellow cruisers from the Dream and we enjoyed chatting with them.

Costa Maya was a 7 am til 2 pm port day......heck it was still dark outside when we arrived! It was our first visit to this port. We walked into port and back to the ship to just enjoy the beautiful views of the coast line and the water. NCL Getaway and Oceania Marina were also in port with the Magic.

We left port late as we were waiting on five stragglers who never got back onboard until after 2 pm. I can remember a time when the ship would have left without them! Small world I met the last man to board the next day while in line to book a future cruise. He was late because he met up with some locals and was enjoying some tequila!

The crew did a great job, always pleasant and speaking with the passengers. Many could take an example from them.

I have never been on a cruise where so many people are walking around on the cell phones.......really you can't go 7 days without.......it really has ruined our country IMO.

Forget about using the Magic Wifi, yes it is free but it is beyond slow, even to go to the free websites to search future cruises, just not worth the time IMO.

The biggest thing we noticed was lack of parental supervision by parents cruising with children. There was a time when children were not allowed in the hot tubs, not on this cruise. There were children in the hot tubs with snorkel gear! There were children in the hot tubs without parental supervision and these children were younger than 10! The hot tubs were just lukewarm so no worries about getting overly heated.

We watched children around the Lido pool without parental supervision, I am talking about 3 years old and younger.

On the flip side we ran into one grandmother who was sailing with 6 of her grandchildren and ALL of them were well mannered and well behaved so there is hope for our future leaders.

We met many wonderful repeat cruisers, one couple celebrating their 123rd cruise and they were doing back to back on Magic. We enjoy meeting and chatting with other cruisers.

We did not purchase anything to take home for us it is all about enjoying the ship and the open ocean and the scenery......the immigration officer asked me "you made no purchases"......nope not even a t-shirt that Carnival had on sale. I looked at them but there was nothing I couldn't live without.

We are booked again on the Magic for Eastern in January 2018 and we will try and fit in a short cruise before then.......we are Carnival fans!

Sounds like you had a great cruise. We love Magic and are booked again for this years Christmas cruise as well.

By far the best food on this ship is Tandoor Grill, the flavors and ingredients used are excellent. We wish it were open for longer than just lunch time. We ate there every afternoon.

We love the Eastern itinerary (San Juan, St. thomas, GT and Amber Cove) and have sailed it 3 times. We also love the western itinerary and have not had an issue with Costa Maya. We always use a strong "no thank you" if we run into an aggressive merchant but never a problem.

As far as the restroom attendants, remember they may not give you service directly but many of those restrooms are pretty clean considering the amount of people that come through them. As those attendants are the ones cleaning in between guests/tourist, I am happy to tip them whether there is a sign or not. I like a clean public restroom and dont forget the reason for most signs, because there are many people that just dont give the courtesy of thinking about it. If you do not want to tip then dont. But a reminder for many people is warranted believe me.

My next cruise is on the Magic with the same itinerary that the OP went to. I have only done eastern Caribbean so far and am worried that I won't like the western as much. It's great to hear you had a good time.

I have also done the Amber Cove, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk and loved it! We just did the Grand Turk, San Juan, St Kitts and St Maarten and loved that one even more! I would love it if they had St Kitts, St Maarten, St Thomas and Grand Turk as an option... may have to do a B2B to do that!

Sounds like you had a great cruise. We love Magic and are booked again for this years Christmas cruise as well.

By far the best food on this ship is Tandoor Grill, the flavors and ingredients used are excellent. We wish it were open for longer than just lunch time. We ate there every afternoon.

We love the Eastern itinerary (San Juan, St. thomas, GT and Amber Cove) and have sailed it 3 times. We also love the western itinerary and have not had an issue with Costa Maya. We always use a strong "no thank you" if we run into an aggressive merchant but never a problem.

As far as the restroom attendants, remember they may not give you service directly but many of those restrooms are pretty clean considering the amount of people that come through them. As those attendants are the ones cleaning in between guests/tourist, I am happy to tip them whether there is a sign or not. I like a clean public restroom and dont forget the reason for most signs, because there are many people that just dont give the courtesy of thinking about it. If you do not want to tip then dont. But a reminder for many people is warranted believe me.

You did GREAT for your first review! We were on the same cruise, it was our 20th Carnival Cruise so we can relate to being over the food "thing". You will learn to pace yourself when it comes to ports!

It was our first time on the Magic and that is why we chose this cruise. We sailed Dream 3x and wanted to give her sister ship a try. We really love the cove balcony.......we spend a good bit of time out on our balcony. When you have had enough of the crowds it is a fantastic retreat.

I had to laugh at security when we were boarding. I have ALWAYS carried on two 750 ml bottles of sangria with me and this was the very first time the security person questioned, "is this alcohol".......she could not read the labels on the bottles......I had to explain to her that it was wine and carrying on two 750 ml bottles is allowed.......she said ok and off we went.

We attended one production show Flick, it was very well done and enjoyable. We attended several comedy shows......which were loads of laughs, however, the best comedian we remember from years ago is Happy Cole.

We enjoyed several Dive In Movies under the starts......Avengers; Jason Bourne; Deepwater Horizon; The Secret Life of Pets.

It was our 2nd time sailing in January and the weather in ports was amazing. Cozumel and Costa Maya, I believe snorkel excursions in Cozumel were canceled due to the wind conditions.

In Cozumel we went to Paradise Beach and lounged at the pool....best fresh salsa.

Belize we did not leave the ship, another sea day for us, and less crowds around the pools.

Mahogany Bay we walk to the beach. It appears that the big corporations have come in an bought up all the locals that had restaurants on the beach, Fat Tuesday's is the predominate owner of the bars and restaurants.

While in Mahogany Bay the Dream was also docked so the beach was rather busy but there was plenty of room. We met some fellow cruisers from the Dream and we enjoyed chatting with them.

Costa Maya was a 7 am til 2 pm port day......heck it was still dark outside when we arrived! It was our first visit to this port. We walked into port and back to the ship to just enjoy the beautiful views of the coast line and the water. NCL Getaway and Oceania Marina were also in port with the Magic.

We left port late as we were waiting on five stragglers who never got back onboard until after 2 pm. I can remember a time when the ship would have left without them! Small world I met the last man to board the next day while in line to book a future cruise. He was late because he met up with some locals and was enjoying some tequila!

The crew did a great job, always pleasant and speaking with the passengers. Many could take an example from them.

I have never been on a cruise where so many people are walking around on the cell phones.......really you can't go 7 days without.......it really has ruined our country IMO.

Forget about using the Magic Wifi, yes it is free but it is beyond slow, even to go to the free websites to search future cruises, just not worth the time IMO.

The biggest thing we noticed was lack of parental supervision by parents cruising with children. There was a time when children were not allowed in the hot tubs, not on this cruise. There were children in the hot tubs with snorkel gear! There were children in the hot tubs without parental supervision and these children were younger than 10! The hot tubs were just lukewarm so no worries about getting overly heated.

We watched children around the Lido pool without parental supervision, I am talking about 3 years old and younger.

On the flip side we ran into one grandmother who was sailing with 6 of her grandchildren and ALL of them were well mannered and well behaved so there is hope for our future leaders.

We met many wonderful repeat cruisers, one couple celebrating their 123rd cruise and they were doing back to back on Magic. We enjoy meeting and chatting with other cruisers.

We did not purchase anything to take home for us it is all about enjoying the ship and the open ocean and the scenery......the immigration officer asked me "you made no purchases"......nope not even a t-shirt that Carnival had on sale. I looked at them but there was nothing I couldn't live without.

We are booked again on the Magic for Eastern in January 2018 and we will try and fit in a short cruise before then.......we are Carnival fans!

I was almost positive those people in casta maya were late runners haha! I thought for sure they didn't wait for anyone.

It sounds like you experienced the same awesome team work from the ships crew that we did 💓💓

I can't wait to book our next cruise. We will for sure take it a lot slower the next time.

I think we will try the eastern cruise next time.

I am a big tipper. It's one of my favorite things to do (reward those who deserve it I mean). And I'm not above tipping a bathroom attendant but we have heavily populated areas where I live and they're required to keep it clean too. I did tip them though as well as others. I just feel like it's more about the tipping in some of the areas we visited then about the experience. Just my opinion. And that might change the more cruises we go on.

My next cruise is on the Magic with the same itinerary that the OP went to. I have only done eastern Caribbean so far and am worried that I won't like the western as much. It's great to hear you had a good time.

I have also done the Amber Cove, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk and loved it! We just did the Grand Turk, San Juan, St Kitts and St Maarten and loved that one even more! I would love it if they had St Kitts, St Maarten, St Thomas and Grand Turk as an option... may have to do a B2B to do that!

I can't compare the eastern vs western because I've not been on the eastern cruise but I think you'll love it. Everything was so beautiful. And honestly if you get the chance to do the $75.00 dollar snorkeling thru carnvial in belize you should do it !! We also loved Mr sanchos if you get the chance to look them up on Facebook ( they're in cozumel). I can't wait to hear if you liked it 💓

Really hard to be pushed into giving tip. But glad you did enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for the feedback.

Not true, you can very easily be pressured into giving tips.

Again mine stated I liked to tip just didn't like the constant push for them or the need to tip someone because they sold me something.

But since it's my first day back at work and I'm having a beautiful Monday I'll take your comment as not being a ding and say for you to have a good day also 😉😉😉

I was on this cruise also, and while I love the Magic (and Dream class in general) there were some things I was disappointed with (not that I let them ruin my cruise, just worth mentioning).

Service in the main dining room was very slow (except for the second elegant night, which many people skip since they don't want to dress up). I had early dining and it was the slowest I had ever seen on a Carnival cruise, except for when YTD was first introduced.

I was underwhelmed by the Pig & Anchor BBQ food, it was just OK. The sauces were too runny and the brown sugar one was pretty bland, and the mac & cheese just tasted too artificial-cheese to me.

I purchased a spa pass in order to use the Thalassotherapy pool and heated loungers. In Mahogany Bay they closed the pool for a few hours to chlorinate it during regular open hours. When I called about it they said it was because that port facility had options for flushing the water that other ports did not, and it was not allowed in the open ocean. The pool wasn't as warm as usual and it was actually cold after they chlorinated.

I purchased the intermediate internet package (not sure what free WiFi Hogladyrider was referring to?) and it is extremely slow for anything other than Facebook. Using it around 2 - 3 am was faster but not by a lot.

My room steward was probably the best ever, and I got more goodies this cruise because I turned platinum :D I was glad to get the night light instead of the stationary or croc hat, lol. But the chocolate covered strawberries are not that great, the chocolate is really waxy. I guess I have become a chocolate snob!

I was part of the Piano Bar-Barians group and would like to apologize for any of us who were rude to other cruisers. We had a private party in the piano bar several nights but one of the nights the sign wasn't put out and the doors were open, so there was no way to know. Unfortunately at least one of our group was unnecessarily snippy to some people who happened to stop by just to get a few drinks. I tried to diffuse the situation and welcome them back later, most of us are open to introducing new people to the fun of the piano bar.

Edited by LibratPDX

I was on this cruise also, and while I love the Magic (and Dream class in general) there were some things I was disappointed with (not that I let them ruin my cruise, just worth mentioning).

Service in the main dining room was very slow (except for the second elegant night, which many people skip since they don't want to dress up). I had early dining and it was the slowest I had ever seen on a Carnival cruise, except for when YTD was first introduced.

I was underwhelmed by the Pig & Anchor BBQ food, it was just OK. The sauces were too runny and the brown sugar one was pretty bland, and the mac & cheese just tasted too artificial-cheese to me.

I purchased a spa pass in order to use the Thalassotherapy pool and heated loungers. In Mahogany Bay they closed the pool for a few hours to chlorinate it during regular open hours. When I called about it they said it was because that port facility had options for flushing the water that other ports did not, and it was not allowed in the open ocean. The pool wasn't as warm as usual and it was actually cold after they chlorinated.

I purchased the intermediate internet package (not sure what free WiFi Hogladyrider was referring to?) and it is extremely slow for anything other than Facebook. Using it around 2 - 3 am was faster but not by a lot.

My room steward was probably the best ever, and I got more goodies this cruise because I turned platinum :D I was glad to get the night light instead of the stationary or croc hat, lol. But the chocolate covered strawberries are not that great, the chocolate is really waxy. I guess I have become a chocolate snob!

I was part of the Piano Bar-Barians group and would like to apologize for any of us who were rude to other cruisers. We had a private party in the piano bar several nights but one of the nights the sign wasn't put out and the doors were open, so there was no way to know. Unfortunately at least one of our group was unnecessarily snippy to some people who happened to stop by just to get a few drinks. I tried to diffuse the situation and welcome them back later, most of us are open to introducing new people to the fun of the piano bar.

We did have slightly slow service in the dinning room but we just assumed it was the norm because of the size of the boat. We didn't eat there every night so I couldn't compare some nights to others.

I myself am a vegetarian but my family loved the BBQ place. I wanted to taste the mac and cheese but never got around to it so I'm thankful that I didn't miss much!!

We looked into some spa stuff but never booked. The pools were freezing cold but I just assumed that was the norm also. We thankfully got to get out and experience the mahogany bay port for the entire day.

No Internet for us or prizes (it was our first cruise) but our room steward was super nice and we loved our waitress in the MDR!!

And small word.. we were those people that just stopped by to experience a different type of drink/atmosphere in the Piano bar. The bar tender said "we have a private party starting in ten minutes. Please take your drinks and come back after 10". Our response was wow, we didn't even know that was an option. But we'll come back at 10 and see what's going on (we'd never been in a piano bar before). No sooner then the words were out of our mouth at least 3 members starting talking trash. We became completely uncomfortable while waiting for our drinks and started having to defend our actions. It still at this point was not 10 pm and members of the piano club party started chiming in. Honestly I wish security would have been called. I wish the way that the members of this club acted would have caused them to not be able to continue with this party. We are a fun group of 6 adults who brought our children on a cruise for the first time and were simply looking for a good time. Had we just been allowed to get our drinks before the private party started and leave and come back we could have all had some wonderful conversations. I think the actions of many members of that group were uncalled for and brought a negative face to any future piano groups we see on future cruises. I actually took it upon myself to email carnival and ask them to review any future bookings with the group that was there that night. Do I think it'll stop them from being allowed to book? No. But do i think it might make carnival add some security to any future parties with this group yes. I also asked if there is a time buffer to which the room needs to be cleared out before the reserved time and they said no.

I decided not to include this interaction in my original post because I wasn't sure how to address it. Since you commented I decided to reply my thoughts. I hope you enjoy any future cruises you take. Thanks.