Tipping Queen's Grill

paulista1950

As a veggie, I get a lot of attention from the section Head Waiter, so he/she always gets a tip, the waiters get something and we generally hand it over to the waiter and ask him to share with his assistant. The Maitre d' - well it depends how much contact we have had.

Last time, the "diet" chef, cooked me a surprise every night - and wonderful things I have never had before - so he got a little extra too.

We leave an extra tip on the table and make it obvious. The waiter and assistant can batttle it out.

If we get the table we want, the Maitre d' gets a thank you.

If the Head Waiter cooks for us, he gets a thank you too.

Stewart

We tip staff as well as keeping the standard gratuities on the accounts but don't make it obvious. In the restaurant, the two wait staff members get individual envelopes, as does the Head Waiter and also the Maître 'd. All envelopes handed over as discreetly as possible so no one is aware of what we're doing.

The wait staff because they are always marvellous and put up with us being last in the restaurant night after night; the Head Waiter because he looks after us so well and no off menu request is too difficult and the Maître 'd as he always gets the table right.

Job done.:)

No need for a tip every night. But on the final night a couple of envelopes stuck in the menu aand/or wine list when you hand it back is much appreciated. If you think to pass the matre d' an envelope for the kitchen his eyes will light up, everybody forgets them.

Your auto gratuities are already higher because you are in Queens Grill so why would you want to give any extra.

We did for those who exceeded our expectations but didn't for ones that didn't.

No right or wrong on this. It's really a personal decision.

Keith

Three or four years ago I was talking to the Maitre d' by his desk in the Princess Grill when someone brushed by him and slipped him an envelope. He knew I had seen it. He said, whilst not turning down a tip because it would appear rude, he was embarrassed to receive it. He was salaried and paid well whereas there were a lot of low paid workers on the ship who were far more deserving. He favoured auto tipping for this reason.

Three or four years ago I was talking to the Maitre D' and Asst Maitre 'D by his desk in the Princess Grill when someone brushed by him and slipped him an envelope. He knew I had seen it. He said, whilst not turning down a tip because it would appear rude, he was embarrassed to receive it. He was salaried and paid well whereas there were a lot of low paid workers on the ship who were far more deserving. He favoured auto tipping for this reason.

And he probably kept it without checking if it had to go into the 'pool' because the pax gifting it cancelled their auto tips. On Island Princess recently, it was pathetic to see the Head Waiters and Maitre'D skulking around the tables with their lists of removed gratuities, keeping an eye on the waiters who got 'ye olde envelopes.'

The whole issue of tipping is in the dark side in my view. I keep our auto tips on and thus subsidise the service crrew wages, but give no more. But those Grills pax who spend a lot of money on their voyages, if you can afford to auto tip and cash tip, well then do it. As a steerage pax, often paying thousands on flights to board these ships I can't afford it and on a matter of principle won't do it.

Stand by for incoming. Kevlar on.

No need for a tip every night. But on the final night a couple of envelopes stuck in the menu aand/or wine list when you hand it back is much appreciated. If you think to pass the matre d' an envelope for the kitchen his eyes will light up, everybody forgets them.

And you reckon the Maitre'D passes on that kitchen tip? Maybe some do, maybe some keep it.

Love tipping threads, on fire !!!

As a veggie, I get a lot of attention from the section Head Waiter, so he/she always gets a tip, the waiters get something and we generally hand it over to the waiter and ask him to share with his assistant. The Maitre d' - well it depends how much contact we have had.

Last time, the "diet" chef, cooked me a surprise every night - and wonderful things I have never had before - so he got a little extra too.

Good stuff, I am a Coeliac my dinner every night in MDR is prepared by special diets Chefs, as ordered by me with my section Head Waiter, they deserve a few quid, always do it, no matter what the line.

And you reckon the Maitre'D passes on that kitchen tip? Maybe some do, maybe some keep it.

Love tipping threads, on fire !!!

I'm quite certain that the kitchen never receive any of the tips that no-one thinks to send.

As for whether intended tips actually get there, I can only hope that it's more effective than our foreign age budget, where a significant proportion gets snaffled on the way to the target.

I'm quite certain that the kitchen never receive any of the tips that no-one thinks to send.

As for whether intended tips actually get there, I can only hope that it's more effective than our foreign age budget, where a significant proportion gets snaffled on the way to the target.

We sent a tip to the "diet chef" and he came out to say thank you!

We tip staff as well as keeping the standard gratuities on the accounts but don't make it obvious. In the restaurant, the two wait staff members get individual envelopes, as does the Head Waiter and also the Maître 'd. All envelopes handed over as discreetly as possible so no one is aware of what we're doing.

The wait staff because they are always marvellous and put up with us being last in the restaurant night after night; the Head Waiter because he looks after us so well and no off menu request is too difficult and the Maître 'd as he always gets the table right.

Job done.:)

I'm trying to imagine the attempts to be discreet in handing over plain envelopes:, particularly on a larger table.

In my humble experience, and as a late diner, both the table waiter and his assistant are very busy at that time of the evening and it has not always been easy to attract both their attention.

The 'A' team, Queen Mary 2, December 2016...

31880880831_2bd8b572e7_z.jpg

See above.

No doubt about it.

I'm trying to imagine the attempts to be discreet in handing over plain envelopes:, particularly on a larger table.

In my humble experience, and as a late diner, both the table waiter and his assistant are very busy at that time of the evening and it has not always been easy to attract both their attention.

The 'A' team, Queen Mary 2, December 2016...

I don't recall mentioning when any extra thanks are given and they certainly aren't given out at the table or in front of fellow passengers.

It's amazing what can be handed over in a 'thank you for everything' handshake and it's amazing what can be discreetly accepted in a handshake too!

Practised discretion, from the giver and the receiver. :)

I don't recall mentioning when any extra thanks are given and they certainly aren't given out at the table or in front of fellow passengers.

It's amazing what can be handed over in a 'thank you for everything' handshake and it's amazing what can be discreetly accepted in a handshake too!

Practised discretion, from the giver and the receiver. :)

That's my technique too.

I believe in providing extra tips for those who have done something special. Otherwise I support the automatic tipping system.

What about all those crew who do so many special things to make a cruise better with whom we do not come into contact? Laundry. Engine room workers. Cleaning staff etc. That's why I like the crew welfare fund system they have on luxury lines. You make a donation and the whole crew benefits, not just the ones we see.

Following a particularly good dish I have been known to show my appreciation in the more traditional naval manner by inviting the Head Chef to the table...

32052094094_d69fa8e822_z.jpg

Wow! How generous of you, but then,.who could resist an invitation to your table? A great photo op to show not only your magnanimity but also your beautiful cornflower blue (velvet?)

dinner jacket.

Edited by Salacia