Embarkation

gadabout60

I am not wishing to get into a debate again about what I (and many others) perceive to be a poor embarkation system, but given the system is what it is, why can't P&O give pax early notification of their boarding times.

For my next I am trying to consider whether to travel by taxi or come the day before and book a hotel or book a train ticket. The later they tell me the embarkation time the less chance I have of getting a reasonably priced train ticket or get my first choice hotels without paying over the odds

Of course I will be building lots of leeway into whatever way I travel but I don't want to arrive in Southampton at 11am if my boarding time is 3.30

For once I agree with you, there seems no reason why, if you have an allocated cabin i.e. you have booked early, you should not get an indication of the time you would be boarding. They must follow a pattern for each ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

For once I agree with you, there seems no reason why, if you have an allocated cabin i.e. you have booked early, you should not get an indication of the time you would be boarding. They must follow a pattern for each ship.

I appreciate the desire to know early to book transport but I think that the 5-6 weeks notice that is given is quite reasonable. I suspect that if times were given much earlier in the process, they would be more subject to change as the ship gets booked up and people would have justification in complaining.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to allocate the earliest times at time of booking so that those who book earliest board first and those who book late availability board last. Alternatively, maybe as a perk, those who book select rather than saver should be given the opportunity to book their embarkation time as part of the booking process (subject to availability). Presumably however, the system P&O use is the one that suits them best so they may be resistant to change.

I appreciate the desire to know early to book transport but I think that the 5-6 weeks notice that is given is quite reasonable. I suspect that if times were given much earlier in the process, they would be more subject to change as the ship gets booked up and people would have justification in complaining.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to allocate the earliest times at time of booking so that those who book earliest board first and those who book late availability board last. Alternatively, maybe as a perk, those who book select rather than saver should be given the opportunity to book their embarkation time as part of the booking process (subject to availability). Presumably however, the system P&O use is the one that suits them best so they may be resistant to change.

I have to agree with Dai on this, although there is nothing wrong with Pete's proposal for early bookers getting early boarding.

However whatever system is proposed there is no reason why P&O have to wait for the e-tickets going live to allocate a boarding time, which can be known well in advance in any case.

My understanding is that by and large your time depends on the deck you are on. When you have an allocated cabin then your embarkation time must be known. I have booked with a select fare and know my cabin so seems no reason why I can't know when I can embark

I don't like P&O's embarkation system but I am trying to adhere to it and not just turn up at a time that suits me. Surely P&O can extend the courtesy of letting me know my embarkation time

Well I think they must have an idea. We jumped at the Adonia offer. Not quick enough though to get a suite of some sort . We are not yet at Caribbean level, so I said when booking..i guess we will be late boarding..she looked at the deck we were on and reckoned it would be about 2pm...so I see no reason why they cannot let people know much earlier...

I can understand why 6 weeks before is not early enough. If you want to get really cheap train tickets you need to book 12 weeks before..when they first come out.

Pete 14.

If you are traveling by train the best deals are on line 12 weeks before the date of travel so important to know your embarkation time to work back. Other forms of transport possibly not as time constrained.

Pete 14.

If you are traveling by train the best deals are on line 12 weeks before the date of travel so important to know your embarkation time to work back. Other forms of transport possibly not as time constrained.

It is possible to cover more eventualities if you are flexible. Firstly, if you think you might stay in a hotel the night before but are not certain then book with Travelodge or Premier Inn on the flexible terms rate. It is more expensive than saver rate which cannot be changed. You can cancel up to 4pm the day before without penalty. Just read the terms carefully, print out your reservation and if you cancel then they give you a cancellation reference number which you print out in case there is a misunderstanding later. Your room may be a little dearer but if you still want to go down the pre-cruise hotel the night before and think you have paid too much book a second hotel with the other company at the saver rate then cancel the original hotel.

Twelve weeks is best for trains as Dai says above, so another strategy is book a cheap train early to arrive early on. Then book a cheap non-alcoholic Cruise Lounge place at the Grand Harbour Hotel, you get free drinks, light snacks and will look after your suitcases if you go into town and a transfer to the quayside with their driver in a 15 minute slot you select from their availability sheet. You can book a Cruise Lounge place a few days before travel if necessary depending on your Boarding Time Allocation. So no need to commit early. Cruise Lounge opens at 7am and closes at 7pm.

Check out the details with the relevant operating people above before booking anythingas rules change from time to time.

Regards John

Well I have my time now with 5 1/2 weeks to go - its 3pm.

I am being very good and not going to comment on what I feel about boarding so late!

Rather than get irritated on the day we are turning it into a positive and are going to meet friends in Southampton for lunch

So my next question (as we are coming by taxi) is - what time does the hole in the wall open - we will need to take the taxi to the terminal and drop off the luggage then taxi back to our friends for lunch. So just wondering when we can drop the luggage off and we assume there is no problem doing this then going back into town

Because I travel by train, what I will be doing will be to check the price of the tickets. If they are absurdly cheap, which they often are, then book a couple, one to arrive early and the other to get me there for 3pm.

If they are not cheap, then just buy the 3pm ticket. If P&O allocate an early time, tough, I will be turning up at 3.

We always stay in a hotel overnight as the other half will not risk travelling by road from the North West the day of the cruise. We usually have a leisurely morning in Winchester which is absolutely beautiful and make it part of the holiday experience.

Well I have my time now with 5 1/2 weeks to go - its 3pm.

I am being very good and not going to comment on what I feel about boarding so late!

Rather than get irritated on the day we are turning it into a positive and are going to meet friends in Southampton for lunch

So my next question (as we are coming by taxi) is - what time does the hole in the wall open - we will need to take the taxi to the terminal and drop off the luggage then taxi back to our friends for lunch. So just wondering when we can drop the luggage off and we assume there is no problem doing this then going back into town

The unloading time for luggage is on P&O's Q&A, I think it is 11:30, but you need to check it on their site.

The unloading time for luggage is on P&O's Q&A, I think it is 11:30, but you need to check it on their site.

It may say 12.00 however the sign on the wall by the 'hole' I am sure still says 11.00.

We get there 11.30 to 12.00. There are always porters and we are never first. I think you will be safe at 11.30.

However my observation is that when this started they stuck to the times quite rigidly but they seem to be pulling them forward at the start. On our back to back on Arcadia there were people coming into the 'lunch' not long after 12.00. On the first of those cruises the ship was late in being delayed by storms in the Atlantic. We were still on board by 12.30ish.

It does indeed say 12 on the website

As always when travelling a long distance the problem is timing your arrival

We will aim to arrive at about 11.45 and see how we go

Incidentally I recently joined a fb P&O forum- not saying which one and not promoting it! I am amazed on there how many pax say to ignore your boarding time and turn up when you want

It does indeed say 12 on the website

As always when travelling a long distance the problem is timing your arrival

We will aim to arrive at about 11.45 and see how we go

Incidentally I recently joined a fb P&O forum- not saying which one and not promoting it! I am amazed on there how many pax say to ignore your boarding time and turn up when you want

Most of them are still living in the past. Or just being stroppy.

I did this recently. Booked a hotel for the previous night, just to ease the stress of travelling & time constraints. Arrived 4 hours too early for embarkation (as had to leave the hotel). Put luggage in by 11:30. Then we just sat in the embarkation terminal. It's really not bad - there is a tea/ coffee & snack place & as many free magazines as you like (help yourselves for cruise reading) & plenty of people watching to do, as well as reading, wifi, talking, planning my itinerary, looking out of the windows at the docks & the ship, etc etc. Are people's lives really so vitally hectic that they can't manage to just sit for a few hours?! OK, so I'd hoped for earlier embarkation & didn't get it, talk about '1st world problems' !

I did this recently. Booked a hotel for the previous night, just to ease the stress of travelling & time constraints. Arrived 4 hours too early for embarkation (as had to leave the hotel). Put luggage in by 11:30. Then we just sat in the embarkation terminal. It's really not bad - there is a tea/ coffee & snack place & as many free magazines as you like (help yourselves for cruise reading) & plenty of people watching to do, as well as reading, wifi, talking, planning my itinerary, looking out of the windows at the docks & the ship, etc etc. Are people's lives really so vitally hectic that they can't manage to just sit for a few hours?! OK, so I'd hoped for earlier embarkation & didn't get it, talk about '1st world problems' !

We usually do this because it is far less stressful than sitting in jam on the motorway on sailing day. We will be doing it again next month, we know that we have a late boarding time ( 3:30 because we like C Deck ) but are quite happy to sit and read or people watch if we have to wait over 3 hours.

Last time I sailed P&O there were not enough seats and loads of folk were standing

Celebrity manage this so much better - you are straight through with them

I will put up with any wait as I know that is the P&O way but I don't have to like it or pretend that a cup of tea in a polystyrene cup and a free magazine will be a good start to my holiday

Last time I sailed P&O there were not enough seats and loads of folk were standing

Celebrity manage this so much better - you are straight through with them

I will put up with any wait as I know that is the P&O way but I don't have to like it or pretend that a cup of tea in a polystyrene cup and a free magazine will be a good start to my holiday

Careful gadabout or you might be accused of being stroppy or living in the past.;p

Careful gadabout or you might be accused of being stroppy or living in the past.;p

Nooo he is not suggesting that everyone turn up at 11.30 as some people do. And have done for years. Effectively say the rules are for everyone but not me. Just please yourself.

Just got my time for Azura today; C deck balcony, 3.30! Thank goodness I've finally reached Caribbean Tier last year and can board at 1pm. If they ever take that loyalty concession away it would finish me with P and O.

I'm another of those who turn up whenever they like. If they want me to wait until the appointed time that's okay.

I travel down the day before and have done so about a dozen times so spending the morning hanging around in Southampton has little appeal and I may as well offload my bags and sit in the terminal as loiter in Starbucks or go shopping.

By the way, I wonder how many of those people with early times are travelling down on the day can't get there at their ticketed time, thus leaving gaps earlier in the day and causing a build-up later.

I'm another of those who turn up whenever they like. If they want me to wait until the appointed time that's okay.

I travel down the day before and have done so about a dozen times so spending the morning hanging around in Southampton has little appeal and I may as well offload my bags and sit in the terminal as loiter in Starbucks or go shopping.

By the way, I wonder how many of those people with early times are travelling down on the day can't get there at their ticketed time, thus leaving gaps earlier in the day and causing a build-up later.

They do not leave anyone waiting if there are gaps in arrivals. If there is a lull in the number of passengers arriving on time they slot the early arrivals in so you do sometimes get on earlier than your allotted time but it is not guaranteed.

Nooo he is not suggesting that everyone turn up at 11.30 as some people do. And have done for years. Effectively say the rules are for everyone but not me. Just please yourself.

Have you not read my signature Dai, "Rules are for the guidance of wise men, and the observance of fools", and I am definitely no ones fool.;p:halo: