Tips question

archer_310

Sorry, the search doesn't seem to be working for me, so this may already have been answered. We're first-time Carnival cruisers. I know that I can ask that tips be taken off my account so that I can pay them in cash, but I'm confused by when this should be done. I've previously read that they put them on the account a few days into the cruise. However, I've been told by a previous Carnival cruiser that I should wait until the last day to take them off my account and then ask for envelopes in order to hand cash directly to the people we want to tip.

I'm now not sure what my best avenue is in this regard. Could someone clarify?

I understand what you want to do but the automatic tips cover more than just the people you are in contact with. They are split among buffet servers etc. There is a breakdown somewhere. Most people pay the tips either ahead of time or they are deducted daily from the sign and sail card. Then you can top extra to those who made your experience special if you wanted.

Sorry, the search doesn't seem to be working for me, so this may already have been answered. We're first-time Carnival cruisers. I know that I can ask that tips be taken off my account so that I can pay them in cash, but I'm confused by when this should be done. I've previously read that they put them on the account a few days into the cruise. However, I've been told by a previous Carnival cruiser that I should wait until the last day to take them off my account and then ask for envelopes in order to hand cash directly to the people we want to tip.

They will charge them to your account on day 2, but you can remove them at any time. The question is, why would you want to? I, personally, don't want to run all over the ship looking for everyone who provided great service just to hand them an envelope. Leave the auto-gratuities in place and tip extra if someone provides extraordinary service.

I prepay them so it's one less thing I have to worry about being billed for onboard. I consider them the same as taxes and port fees - just a part of cruising. It's done and over with and I know that the people that depend on them are getting what they are supposed to. If I have excellent service, which I usually do, I will tip that person extra in cash usually at the end.

I previously posted this:

Copied from the CCL FAQs :

Our recommended guideline to what is appropriate is $12.95 USD per person, per day for guests in standard stateroom accommodations and $13.95 USD per person, per day for guests booked in suites. The majority of the tipping amount goes to employees such as stateroom stewards, assistant stewards, dining room waiters and assistant waiters. A small portion goes to a mix of other personnel who are in guest-facing customer service positions within areas such as culinary and hotel services, along with certain key positions in entertainment and guest services.

Here is the breakdown, per day:

Housekeeping Team: $4.05 ($5.05 for suites)

Dining Team: $6.40

Alternative Services: $2.50

Remember that when they say Dining Team the Lido servers are included in that split so no mater where you choose to eat your tip is covered. :)

Also - if you take off the auto tips the staff members you tip in cash are required to turn that cash into the tip pool.

You can pay the tips ahead or you can just pay them at Guest Services the last day if you don't want them on your final charge card bill.

I would take them off immediately and then tell your server and steward so they don't get surprised later on when you do it. They will be asked what happened when someone removes the tips and also I believe (there is debate on this) that if someone removes the tips and pays in cash the cash still has to be distributed (like the steward and his team) and the wait-staff and their team, etc...They 'could' pocket it but then questions will arise

I previously posted this:

Also - if you take off the auto tips the staff members you tip in cash are required to turn that cash into the tip pool.

I know some restaurants do this, but is this a fact on a cruise ship? or just something someone mentioned once? So I tip the cabin steward $20 on day 1 to keep the ice bucket/cooler filled for my smuggled booze and to hustle about for every perceived "need" I may have during my stay, and he/she has to give it up to the proles running the vacuums on another deck?:rolleyes:

Just wondering... Why do u want to remove the gratuities?

We're long-time Disney cruisers and we generally prefer to pay in cash. Just wanted to clarify because I had heard several different things about the method to do this. Not trying to "jip" anyone of their tips.

OP should find Fred's very old thread about the list posted of those who cancelled tips hanging in galley. Not a good idea to remove tips since you won't be giving them to all those who deserve them.

Search doesn't seem to be working today. In fact, a lot of things aren't working on the boards today!

We're long-time Disney cruisers

Disney Cruise Line doesnt have auto grats?

I ask because It has never once crossed my mind to remove auto grats and just wondering how they do it on Disney.

Like firemanbobswife, the auto grats are a cost of cruising to me. If want to hand out cash, that is above and beyond the auto grats. You can remove them at any point though Im pretty sure

I know some restaurants do this, but is this a fact on a cruise ship? or just something someone mentioned once? So I tip the cabin steward $20 on day 1 to keep the ice bucket/cooler filled for my smuggled booze and to hustle about for every perceived "need" I may have during my stay, and he/she has to give it up to the proles running the vacuums on another deck?:rolleyes:

I've actually seen a quote from a CCL line's crew services directory that lays out that policy.

If you take the auto tips off they must turn in cash tips they receive from you to the tip pool.

And before someone says "awwww they just pocket the cash" .... do you really think they'd risk being fired for your one tip - especially when they are asked by management why they think the passenger took their auto tips off??

if you leave the auto tips on and give tour steward $20 then I believe he keeps what is above and beyond the auto gratuity. if all tips are removed I believe he has to turn it in to be counted in the group because if a group is supposed to get the tip amount, it doesnt matter whether he gets it from auto gratuity or handed to him/her, it has to be pooled. It makes sense for those that say they want to hand people tips. since pooling is what is done on the ships, you handing it to one person should not make a difference since the rule is pooling regardless.

above and beyond the auto grats can be kept I believe

We're long-time Disney cruisers and we generally prefer to pay in cash. Just wanted to clarify because I had heard several different things about the method to do this. Not trying to "jip" anyone of their tips.

Search doesn't seem to be working today. In fact, a lot of things aren't working on the boards today!

since Disney cruises has auto tips since at least 2013 , you still didn't answer why not leave the auto gratuities in place?

Unfortunately, if you remove auto-gratuities, you will "jip" someone of tips. There are tons of people who share in the tip pool that you may not remember to tip ... the server who clears the dishes on the Lido, your steward's assistants, the servers at breakfast/brunch, etc. If you want to be sure that those who serve you well get their tips, just leave them in place and tip extra for those who go above and beyond.

It is typically the thursday of a 7 day cruise, they add them to your S & S account. You can go to GS after they have been added should you want to adjust them in any way (we have friends that keep the tips in place but rearrange the amounts to be given to each department). We pay our tips ahead but also bring envelopes to add extra and hand deliver to certain crew members that we feel deserve a little more.

If you want to tip in cash, please bring some to any meals eaten in the dining room during breakfast, brunch, lunch and dinners. You will have different wait teams at every breakfast, brunch and lunches. If you have ATD, your wait team could also change nightly.

The "tips" are added to your account on a daily basis...but NOTHING is CHARGED to whatever form of payment you use until the cruise is over. The tipped employees do NOT get the money until the end of the cruise.

It's best to leave the daily tips in place...that way, everyone who is supposed to be tipped, will be tipped. No effort on your part. No additional tips are required or expected.

We always tip those who are of service to us. I do it because the crusielines are not paying the salaries as they should. I do not believe I can trust them to pay the people who I want to tip what I want. Think about how you tip here at home. You wouldn't want your hard working server to not keep his tips. There are some restaurants now doing what the cruise lines are doing and taking the tips and using them as salary.

I also generally tip more than asked. I also bring with $2 bills and give them to those who serve me. They remember me and are very grateful. I like being able to say thank you and show them by handing them a tip. I find the crew remember me and welcome me back the next time I cruise. I've cruised 3 times in 6 months.

I just don't trust a company who wants me to pay the salary they ought to be paying. It's a tip and it's my choice. I do it my way.

The auto tips couldn't be any easier, it's a more than reasonable amount and it covers everyone. I don't understand the "tipping in cash" thing. You more than likely have to get change in different denominations for the staff that you are tipping, figure out who is going to get what amount, put that amount in envelopes and go find everyone to make sure they got their tip.

If you leave the auto tip in place, it's DONE, you don't have to think about it at all. Unless of course, you got exceptional service and you give him/her an additional amount.

Really, just leave it as is.:)

since Disney cruises has auto tips since at least 2013 , you still didn't answer why not leave the auto gratuities in place?

As I said, it's just something we've always done with Disney - we prefer to give our tips in cash. Not trying to start a war here, just trying to clarify the procedure.

There is absolutely no reason to remove tips, unless you are planning on not tipping people. Whether you prepay or not, or it is automatic, the cruise line assumes the employee received the tip, and those tips are taxed and distributed based on that assumption. When you remove the tips, it is irrelevant. The majority of the people who remove tips, do so as not to tip.

The only thing you are doing, is to think you are doing something great, but you are under the wrong assumption. Just like many restaurants that pool tips. They assume that you are receiving the tips, place it in your pay to tax, and handle the back tipping on the books. So if no tip is handed out, that person, still shares what is expected.

Just don't do it. Leave it alone. Don't play games. It complicates it worse for the employees. You are not helping. Your are hurting them. Leave it alone.