AmaWaterways Danube Christmas Market Cruise Review

atheneze

Enjoyed your pics and your review! I took my 32 year old daughter on a Christmas markets cruise a couple of years ago, and she wasn't the youngest on the ship. So glad your t.a. Didn't talk you out of going! Hope you enjoy another cruise soon...Christmas markets on the Rhine are really nice too, and you get to go to both German and French markets.

Enjoyed your pics and your review! I took my 32 year old daughter on a Christmas markets cruise a couple of years ago, and she wasn't the youngest on the ship. So glad your t.a. Didn't talk you out of going! Hope you enjoy another cruise soon...Christmas markets on the Rhine are really nice too, and you get to go to both German and French markets.

Actually, my Disney cruise line TA discouraged me. So, I found one that specializes with river cruises. We loved it! We are hoping to do the Rhine Christmas Markets Cruise too. :)

• 7 months later...

We are booked for Christmas Market cruise on Amastella, leaving December 13th out of Nuremberg. I"m interested in information regarding the excursion to Salzburg - I have some questions - if someone has been on this excursion with AMA please let me know. Thanks!

We are booked for Christmas Market cruise on Amastella, leaving December 13th out of Nuremberg. I"m interested in information regarding the excursion to Salzburg - I have some questions - if someone has been on this excursion with AMA please let me know. Thanks!

We are scheduled to leave Dec. 11 on the AMASerena out of Nuremberg and want to do the Salzburg excursion. So I too would be interested in anybody that has done this - especially during the Christmas Markets cruise.

:)

We are scheduled to leave Dec. 11 on the AMASerena out of Nuremberg and want to do the Salzburg excursion. So I too would be interested in anybody that has done this - especially during the Christmas Markets cruise.

:)

We did the Salzburg excursion last year with AmaWaterways. http://www.adventuresamust.com/?p=1589 That is my link to my blog post!

We are curious as to how long we actually have in Salzburg itself if we take the Ama excursion. I have been to Salzburg before and have done all the "Sound of Music" stuff but don't necessarily want to repeat. And my husband is not interested in SOM. So I want to be able to show him all the other fabulous sites and don't want to be tied to the official "tour" if we don't have to. Ideally we would like to hire a driver for a roundtrip into Salzburg. So far I haven't had much luck finding anything that is anywhere nearly affordable. We are toying with the idea of renting a car and driving to Salzburg ourselves. Wondering what time we arrive in Passau and what time we are scheduled to depart. Train isn't a good alternative as I think it is a 2.5 hour each way, taking up too much of our day.

We did this tour as part of a Christmas market trip. Nothing Sound of Music on ours. We did take a tour of the city, had lunch on our own and spent a good bit of time in the beautiful Christmas market. Some of the most beautiful handmade items ever. We also experienced rain and snow that day. Pat

We are curious as to how long we actually have in Salzburg itself if we take the Ama excursion. I have been to Salzburg before and have done all the "Sound of Music" stuff but don't necessarily want to repeat. And my husband is not interested in SOM. So I want to be able to show him all the other fabulous sites and don't want to be tied to the official "tour" if we don't have to. Ideally we would like to hire a driver for a roundtrip into Salzburg. So far I haven't had much luck finding anything that is anywhere nearly affordable. We are toying with the idea of renting a car and driving to Salzburg ourselves. Wondering what time we arrive in Passau and what time we are scheduled to depart. Train isn't a good alternative as I think it is a 2.5 hour each way, taking up too much of our day.

We probably had a good 4 hours in the city before we met up at the Starbucks across from Mozart's Birth House.

For those of you who have done this cruise how was the weather? We are on the Dec 18 sailing out of Nuremberg and will keep our eye on the forecasts but just wondering what you experienced in terms of temperature and precipitation? Thanks in advance.

We went on the first week of December last year. It was quite gloomy in Salzburg but no rain. Regensburg, on the other hand, rained and we had to use umbrellas provided by the ship. ;p