Can I take my scooter on a cruise ship.

Peery5

We have been on several cruises and I have always rented a mobility scooter from Care Vacations to use during the cruise.

While I own a larger, four-wheel scooter that would be a hindrance to transport to a cruise port, I am considering purchasing a light weight, three-wheel scooter be able to take it with me on cruises.

Do any of you well traveled cruisers out there know if there are any restrictions for scooters that people bring from home. I know that they have to clear customs but are there any other potential obstacles that would prohibit me from bringing my own scooter.

We have several cruises planned and for what it costs to rent a scooter for each of the cruises I could buy a lightweight scooter.

Any info. is appreciated.

You are allowed to bring your personal scooter. The only restriction is that the scooter MUST be stored in your cabin. It cannot be left in the Hallway to impair the safety of others moving through the hallway. This is both a Coast Guard Safety regulation and a regulation of the cruise line. If you have not booked HC cabins and if the scooter does not fit through the cabin doorway, than you will have to make arrangements with guest services to have the scooter safely stored in another location each night and brought back to you in the morning when needed.

My wife purchased a TravelScoot that we just used in our Western Mediterranean cruise aboard the Celebrity Solstice. It was absolutely fabulous!!!! I can't recommend it enough. She rode it all over the ship, and the staff was great about it. They even loved taking it from the dining room table back to the main entrance for storage.

It was also great in port as it only weighs 33 lbs. We used it everywhere, and I even carried it up 79 stairs in Dubrovnik. Just make sure you get the dry, lithium ion battery AND contact your airline at least 48 hours in advance to ensure you have met their requirements for transport of the battery (they don't care about the scooter!!).

Do NOT take Delta airlines. They will refuse passage with any scooter with a battery. So far they are the only airline we've heard of. Air Canada is fine, Westjet is fine, Aer Lingus is fine and so is United. Stupid rule, but could be very expensive and dangerous for you if you are rejected at the airport. In other words, don't just expect the scooter to be accepted at the airport.

My wife purchased a TravelScoot that we just used in our Western Mediterranean cruise aboard the Celebrity Solstice. It was absolutely fabulous!!!! I can't recommend it enough. She rode it all over the ship, and the staff was great about it. They even loved taking it from the dining room table back to the main entrance for storage.

It was also great in port as it only weighs 33 lbs. We used it everywhere, and I even carried it up 79 stairs in Dubrovnik. Just make sure you get the dry, lithium ion battery AND contact your airline at least 48 hours in advance to ensure you have met their requirements for transport of the battery (they don't care about the scooter!!).

Do NOT take Delta airlines. They will refuse passage with any scooter with a battery. So far they are the only airline we've heard of. Air Canada is fine, Westjet is fine, Aer Lingus is fine and so is United. Stupid rule, but could be very expensive and dangerous for you if you are rejected at the airport. In other words, don't just expect the scooter to be accepted at the airport.

Again, I've never had any airline, Delta included, reject my scooter.

I have a Pride Go Go Elite Traveler and love it for cruises. It's very mobile, gets into most places, it handles the ramps on and off the ship.

I have a travelscoot with the lithium batteries. I have had no trouble traveling with the batteries however lithium batteries MUST be removed from the scooter and stored in the cabin during flight. The travelscoot batteries come with a carrying case and this is easy to do. Lithium batteries can catch fire when in a high temperature environment - think sitting on the tarmac for an hour in July - and this would not be seen in the hold. We went to Europe in May 2011, declared the batteries and had no problems at any time.

I have a heavy four-wheel scooter that lives in my minivan for when I'm home, but I also bought a Pride Go-Go from the Scooter Store for traveling. I had intended to get a 3-wheel, but I'm so glad I tried out both the 3-wheel and the 4-wheel, because it took me less than 10 seconds to tip the 3-wheeler. SO glad I got the 4-wheel! It's not any wider than the 3-wheeler, since you still need 2 wheels in the rear.

I've been in a couple of non-HC cabins with it on Carnival and Royal Caribbean, and it fits through the doorway just fine. (Um . . . just barely. But it fits!)

It also handles flying better than my previous travel scooter. I am very happy with Pride scooters!

We've taken cruises on Celebrity and Princess. We are usually in a suite on Celebrity or an accessible room. The Go-Go Travelor scooter did fit through these doors. We were in an accessible mini suite and, of course, there were no problems but in the owners suite and a regular mini suite, the scooter would not go through the door.

We'll be taking the scooter on the Solstice and I'm sure hoping that it will fit through the Royal Suite door. If not? who knows what we'll do.

I travel with my Pride Go Go, and am so thankful I have it. I used to rent from CareVacations and they are wonderful but it gets expensive and I purchased my scooter for the price of one rental (bought it gently used). I cruise on Princess and leave it in the elevator area without any problems. I bring my battery in the cabin when it needs charging, but I met a couple on the last cruise that said there are plugs in this area they have been using to charge their battery. I also just flew with Air France and Delta and they were very helpful. My scooter has a dry cell battery and they take the scooter when I board the plane nd have it there when we arrive. I would suggest you call the airline so they are aware you will be traveling with a scooter.

Can anyone give me an approx price for a scooter rental for a 7 day cruise out of Ft lauderdale? We are considering the Oasis, but due to the size of the ship and my husbands mobility issues with his hips and legs we have not booked it. I am thinking if he had the use of a scooter, he would enjoy the cruise ship much more... We have always loved cruising but the long walking distances on the ship and in Ports have started to limit us.. Thanks in advance

I have rented scooters from Care Vacations several times...the last time was November 2010 for a cruise on Princess. The price was approx $225-$250. They are great to deal with and it was in our cabin when we arrived.

Can anyone give me an approx price for a scooter rental for a 7 day cruise out of Ft lauderdale? We are considering the Oasis, but due to the size of the ship and my husbands mobility issues with his hips and legs we have not booked it. I am thinking if he had the use of a scooter, he would enjoy the cruise ship much more... We have always loved cruising but the long walking distances on the ship and in Ports have started to limit us.. Thanks in advance

The problem with someone from CC giving you an estimated cost is that you don't know if what they rented is the same scooter catagory that your husband needs. Therefore you must contact either CareVacations and or Special Needs at Seas directly. Scooter costing is based on many factors such as :

• Port of delivery
  • Type of scooter being rented. Portable, Midsize or Fullsize
  • Type of scooter is also based on the scooter weight capacity and the weight of the user.

My husband has used his 3-wheel Pride Go Go Elite Traveler in regular cabins on Princess and Royal Caribbean and had no problems getting thru the cabin door (actually a mini suite on Princess, but the door is 21 inches wide, the same as a regular cabin). I will say that he removed the arms before we left home, he never uses them, I think the arms may be wider than the wheels.

It has a weight limit of 275 lbs. and he bought it from spinlife.com, we've never seen the price any better anywhere else.

Archived