Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

Also on the ship - have the tailor make you something in silk. I got a lined silk jacket made for just $118. Then I wanted a robe and that was $200! A bit more - but worth it. He works very fast and does great work.

Does the tailor really make clothes from scratch? Or does he alter pre-made, off the rack clothing to fit? Seems hard to believe he has the capacity to get it done fast enough.

Does the tailor really make clothes from scratch? Or does he alter pre-made, off the rack clothing to fit? Seems hard to believe he has the capacity to get it done fast enough.

Really, really from scratch.

When we did it we picked the cloth to be used from all the rolls he had. (We used up the last he had of that bolt).

We also stopped by after a day or two to see how the work on it had progressed.

100_3698%2008.04.10%20Onboard%20tailor%20making%20CSGs%20jacket_zps2zzpnxx2.jpg

Yes indeed, and the workmanship was first rate on the dress he made for my wife.

Fitting was perfect, he called her back for a trial fit part way through the process and delivered the finished item on schedule.

The best advice though is to go see him the first day you are on the ship to make sure he has time to do what you want.

Each year at this time I receive many electronic Christmas blessings in the form of apples.

When Christmas was introduced to China, the Chinese fell in love and made it their own. It’s widely celebrated today, especially by young people, but hardly any of its Western connotations remain: it’s more like a Valentine’s Day without flowers and chocolates. Instead, we have apples!

The tradition has its roots in homophones. Christmas Eve translates to Ping’anye (平安夜, the evening of peace) which sounds like apple, or pingguo (苹果). On Christmas Eve, an apple as a gift is no longer called pingguo, but ping’anguo (平安果, the fruit of peace). Ping'an ye traces its roots to the translation of the Christmas Carol "Silent Night" into Mandarin.

Of course, in today's China a person will pay the equivalent of the price for a kilogram of apples for just one Christmas apple.

Image of some of the ping an guo I have received:

apples-m.jpg

If anyone with limited mobility has done this trip, please tell me about your experience/ problems

If you go to the top of the first post on this page and use the 'Search this thread' option and type in 'mobility', you'll see there are a few good and helpful posts earlier in the thread.

Do also keep in mind that 'this trip' and hence this thread does cover more than one itinerary.

As a general comment, we had one lady on our trip who could not walk long distances and our guide was able to arrange a wheelchair and 'pusher' for her in some locations.

As long as the 'limited mobility' doesn't preclude getting on and off the coaches via the normal steps, it should be possible to get to the majority of the places visited on the typical Beijing - Shanghai itinerary.

Can't comment on the ones that include Tibet but I'm sure others can...

If you go to the top of the first post on this page and use the 'Search this thread' option and type in 'mobility', you'll see there are a few good and helpful posts earlier in the thread.

Do also keep in mind that 'this trip' and hence this thread does cover more than one itinerary.

As a general comment, we had one lady on our trip who could not walk long distances and our guide was able to arrange a wheelchair and 'pusher' for her in some locations.

As long as the 'limited mobility' doesn't preclude getting on and off the coaches via the normal steps, it should be possible to get to the majority of the places visited on the typical Beijing - Shanghai itinerary.

Can't comment on the ones that include Tibet but I'm sure others can...

Thank you

I'll do that

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

We did not go to Tibet. We did the itinerary that spent more time on the river. The day at Tiannemen Square and the Forbidden City I did use a very knowledgable guide and wheelchair pusher. Because we started in Beijing I had worried about preplanning this but our excellent guide from Viking had him meet us at the original checkpoint where we got off the bus. His wheelchair was older but he knew all the alternative ways to get around the many steps, especially in the afternoon. And I was also able to hear our guide's commentary over the ear piece.

When we went to see the Terra Cotta Warrior complex I used another contract pusher for just the return trip to the bus. Otherwise I was very comfortable with my own rollator, which has large front wheels and is good on uneven surfaces and for climbing. I had gotten it especially for Maachu Pichu, where it worked well, and it was also successful at the Great Wall. Hope this helps you.

• 2 weeks later...

We're considering the pre-trip extension for our upcoming Imperial Jewels trip in July.

We'll be taking the Shanghai to Beijing route so the pre-trip is 2 nights in Shanghai.

Day 3 of the pre-trip is technically Day 1 of the main trip. We were thinking about going to Shanghai Disneyland on that day.

I had some questions about how check-in works for the main trip and I tried asking Viking, but either they didn't understand my questions or I didn't understand their answers - likely both.

I asked if there would be a hotel change between the pre and main trip. They said they couldn't answer that; they were't sure what hotels we would be at yet, or how likely it would be that we could stay at the same hotel.

Not a huge deal if we have to change hotels on Day 1 of the main trip, but it would complicate the plans a bit.

Then I told them we planned on going to Disney on Day 1 (main trip) and asked how we 'check in' to the main trip that day and asked how late we could 'check in'. This is where I lost them. They told me that all transfers were included, so there isn't an issue.

I reiterated that we would be at Disney on that day and that we'd be getting to the hotel (whichever the Day 1 hotel is) late that night and I wondered if we'd be okay 'checking in' for the main trip.

He again said that all transfers are included, so there isn't a problem.

I said that we'd be at Disney, and on or own, so we wouldn't have any transfers on that day and would have to travel on our own.

He said, "You will get a check-in time and you can check in at that time".

But what if we are at Disney? Surely we wouldn't have to stop whatever touring we were doing on a free day to make a certain time to check in for the trip???

Maybe I am missing something: If we 'check in' with Viking when we arrive for the pre-trip, will there be a point on Day 1 of the main trip that we have to 'check in' for that? Or maybe it's my use of the term 'check in' that is causing the confusion?

Anyone have any experience with the pre-trip and how that all works?

Thanks!

We're considering the pre-trip extension for our upcoming Imperial Jewels trip in July.

We'll be taking the Shanghai to Beijing route so the pre-trip is 2 nights in Shanghai.

Day 3 of the pre-trip is technically Day 1 of the main trip. We were thinking about going to Shanghai Disneyland on that day.

I had some questions about how check-in works for the main trip and I tried asking Viking, but either they didn't understand my questions or I didn't understand their answers - likely both.

I have not done this, so I cannot answer all of your questions by experience.

First of all, there is no need to mention Disney or anything else you are doing that day. The point is that you will already be in Shanghai and do not need any transfer from the airport that day.

Checking into the main trip hotel (if not also the hotel for the pre-trip days) should not be a problem no matter how late you do it. What you need to be able to do is get the information needed for day 2 of the main trip such as what time to meet in the morning.

Although there may be anxieties of how things will work out before you start the trip, you can be assured that your Viking guide during the pre-trip will be able to answer all of your questions accurately and may be able to smooth the transition between hotels if necessary.

Once your hotel names are known, if they are not the same for pre- and main-trip, contact Viking and see if they can arrange for transferring between the hotels. If the representative you are speaking with is not helpful, ask to speak with a supervisor. In fact, even now you may want to ask to speak with a supervisor to try to get your questions answered.

I have not done this, so I cannot answer all of your questions by experience.

First of all, there is no need to mention Disney or anything else you are doing that day. The point is that you will already be in Shanghai and do not need any transfer from the airport that day.

Checking into the main trip hotel (if not also the hotel for the pre-trip days) should not be a problem no matter how late you do it. What you need to be able to do is get the information needed for day 2 of the main trip such as what time to meet in the morning.

Although there may be anxieties of how things will work out before you start the trip, you can be assured that your Viking guide during the pre-trip will be able to answer all of your questions accurately and may be able to smooth the transition between hotels if necessary.

Once your hotel names are known, if they are not the same for pre- and main-trip, contact Viking and see if they can arrange for transferring between the hotels. If the representative you are speaking with is not helpful, ask to speak with a supervisor. In fact, even now you may want to ask to speak with a supervisor to try to get your questions answered.

Thank you! This is all great information. That's pretty much how I figured it would work, but I couldn't seem to get my point across.

I'll try calling back and verifying this info and/or asking for a supervisor.

Or maybe it's my use of the term 'check in' that is causing the confusion?

Yes, I think this is it.

You really don't need to 'check-in' with anyone on day 1 of the main tour.

Your Viking guide on the pre-tour knows you are 'in country' and will make sure you know where you have to be and at what time on day 2 of the main tour.

Viking will often use more than one hotel on the China trips so the everyone is split across the hotels and I would hope you will be assigned to the same one as you are in for your pre-tour, but if there is any moving to be done your Viking guides will know what is going on.

Just let them know your plans for that day at the earliest opportunity and they will do what they can to make it a smooth transition if indeed there is any transition at all...

Yes, I think this is it.

You really don't need to 'check-in' with anyone on day 1 of the main tour.

Your Viking guide on the pre-tour knows you are 'in country' and will make sure you know where you have to be and at what time on day 2 of the main tour.

Viking will often use more than one hotel on the China trips so the everyone is split across the hotels and I would hope you will be assigned to the same one as you are in for your pre-tour, but if there is any moving to be done your Viking guides will know what is going on.

Just let them know your plans for that day at the earliest opportunity and they will do what they can to make it a smooth transition if indeed there is any transition at all...

Thank you! Very helpful and reassuring.

I figured they would try to get us at the same hotel for both segments, but I guess it's possible that they can't find a room in the same hotel to cover both segments.

Thank you! Very helpful and reassuring.

I figured they would try to get us at the same hotel for both segments, but I guess it's possible that they can't find a room in the same hotel to cover both segments.

For the main trip, there are about 6 groups of 30 to 35 people each with a group leader/guide.

Each group does almost everything together as a group. When you tour, you will be on the same bus. When you take a plane, you will be on the same plane. When you are in a hotel, you will be in the same hotel.

(One exception is on the ship, you can eat with anyone you want. You do not have to stay with your group at meal times.)

Possibly someone who has had a pre-trip can answer the question, but I do not know if those in a group on a pre-trip will be in the same group on the main trip. If they are, then it most likely be at the same hotel for both the pre- and main trips.

We were just on the Beijing - Shanghai tour with Viking and did the pre-extension. We were in the same hotel for the entire Beijing stay.

As for our pre-tours we were grouped with one couple from our hotel - they were in our tour group as well. Then we had 4 others who were with us - from another group and hotel for our 1 day tour of the Temple of Heaven and Summer Palace. There were only 8 of us who opted to do the pre-extension.

Once you are picked up from the airport by a Viking Guide he will ask you about your plans if you are not touring with him or not and he will take care of everything.

I'm almost positive you will not have to change hotels in Shanghai or worry about checking in to your hotel with the others when they arrive. You'll already be settled into your room and even better, over any jet lag or time changes.

Enjoy - it is a remarkable trip!

We were just on the Beijing - Shanghai tour with Viking and did the pre-extension. We were in the same hotel for the entire Beijing stay.

As for our pre-tours we were grouped with one couple from our hotel - they were in our tour group as well. Then we had 4 others who were with us - from another group and hotel for our 1 day tour of the Temple of Heaven and Summer Palace. There were only 8 of us who opted to do the pre-extension.

Once you are picked up from the airport by a Viking Guide he will ask you about your plans if you are not touring with him or not and he will take care of everything.

I'm almost positive you will not have to change hotels in Shanghai or worry about checking in to your hotel with the others when they arrive. You'll already be settled into your room and even better, over any jet lag or time changes.

Enjoy - it is a remarkable trip!

Thank you for sharing your experience! That really helps!

Now we just have to make a final decision.

Hey Bill,

This is Donna from Houston, we were on the Istanbul tour together. We are going on this tour in June. Any suggestions?

Thx

Do you still have the sbcglobal.net e-mail address?

If so, I will e-mail you.

If not, e-mail me caribill at yahoo dot com

• 4 weeks later...
I have a question about when you tip - at the time of the tour? End of the trip? Both?

Your Viking group guide is tipped the last evening. When we were on the tour, the guide sat at a table in the hotel lobby where he said goodbye and collected the tips.

During the trip, you may wish to give tips to a local guide and/or local bus driver. That would be on a daily basis.

And when on the ship on the Yangtze, near the end of the trip there will be a place to put tips to be shared by every crew member. What we did was tip the total suggested amount, but give our cabin steward and main dining waitstaff some of the money as they had provided the most direct service and put the remainder into the main box for tips.

Your Viking group guide is tipped the last evening. When we were on the tour, the guide sat at a table in the hotel lobby where he said goodbye and collected the tips.

During the trip, you may wish to give tips to a local guide and/or local bus driver. That would be on a daily basis.

And when on the ship on the Yangtze, near the end of the trip there will be a place to put tips to be shared by every crew member. What we did was tip the total suggested amount, but give our cabin steward and main dining waitstaff some of the money as they had provided the most direct service and put the remainder into the main box for tips.

Thank you!

I was trying to figure out how to pack so many small US bills. If some tips can be grouped at the end, we can bring some larger bills to help.

Can you tip any of the ship crew from the ship account or does it have to be cash?

Thank you!

I was trying to figure out how to pack so many small US bills. If some tips can be grouped at the end, we can bring some larger bills to help.

Can you tip any of the ship crew from the ship account or does it have to be cash?

Good point about bringing the small bills. It is unlikely you will be able to change large US bills into small ones although some hotels might be able to. Definitely not on the ship.

I think you can make your overall tip for the ship in a separate charge on the ship, but not to individuals.

By the way, when we gave our tip to the group guide at the end of the trip, we used a combination of US $ and left over Chinese Yuan so we would not have any Yuan left to convert back to US $.

We obtained our Yuan at an ATM machine at the airport when we first arrived using a debit card that had no foreign transaction fee. You can also get Yuan by exchanging US $ at the hotels you stay at.

Has anyone used a MiFi and SIM in China?

I'm looking at a few different Huawei devices (5330 (3G), 5573 (4G)). Best I can tell, the 4G won't work so it seems like we might as well get the slightly cheaper 3G model.

We're also looking at SIM cards and thinking about getting a Hong Kong card to get around any China firewall issues - I think the only thing we might use that may be blocked is Google Maps.

Looking to see if anyone has any first hand experience doing this.

If you can't tell by all of my recent posts - our trip is getting closer and closer ;)

We're also looking at SIM cards and thinking about getting a Hong Kong card to get around any China firewall issues - I think the only thing we might use that may be blocked is Google Maps.

The Hong Kong SIM card trick only works if you activate and connect using the card from Hong Kong before traveling to China, but if you can do that then it will work last I heard, but as ever it may get 'fixed' at any time...

However, I wonder if you are over-thinking this...

You will have good wifi connections at every hotel along your route, so it is only the few days on the ship where you will not have any connection, but while on the ship you will have access to a few PC's with a fairly slow connection.

The Hong Kong SIM card trick only works if you activate and connect using the card from Hong Kong before traveling to China, but if you can do that then it will work last I heard, but as ever it may get 'fixed' at any time...

However, I wonder if you are over-thinking this...

You will have good wifi connections at every hotel along your route, so it is only the few days on the ship where you will not have any connection, but while on the ship you will have access to a few PC's with a fairly slow connection.

Thanks, Mark_T!

I didn't know that about the HK SIM card! We won't be stopping in HK first, so that option is out.

We weren't really sure what to expect re. connectivity, so your note definitely helps. We were just a bit concerned with maintaining some kind of connection to the kids at home.

We'll also probably be doing a pre-trip on our own. A few days at Disney (where we'd have internet at the hotel and in the park) and an extra day in Shanghai. We are thinking about taking a taxi or a bus to Zhujiajiao - that's probably the day I'd be most concerned with having a connection.