Another question on dining options

mj_holiday

Trying to make decisions and have a question for Uniworld cruisers.

I have found out on this board that the open seating means you can go to dinner when you like after 7. So you could go in at 8pm. I would like to know if there is a separate casual dining option for dinner, like having just a bowl of soup or a salad.

Not that we remember. You could, I suppose, go to the dining room and just ask to be served that, as opposed to the full dinner. There is usually a soup and/or salad selection on the menu.

However, if you do that, the staff might worry about whether you'll get enough to eat, and/or assume that you're doing that because you don't like anything else on the menu. :D

There is a lighter breakfast and lunch menu, though its location varies from ship to ship. Sometimes in the smaller aft lounge (varying names depending on the ship), sometimes in its own dedicated space (e.g., the Orangarie on SS Antoinette). But the dinner offering there is usually a multicourse tasting menu that you have to sign up for, not a place to grab a small bite.

I agree with JP that his experience is the norm. I do believe there are some trips like the Italy trip we will be on in June that when the weather is nice it is possible to eat out on deck in a more casual setting.

I've been told but didn't do it that you can also go to the main lounge bar and can order a sandwich/salad.

Finally should you sail in a suite with a butler it can open up additional options. On our last sailing in December 2015 our first night aboard in Budapest we had tickets for the Opera House and were going to miss dinner. So the butler brought soup/sandwich/salad to our cabin around 5 so that we could eat before we left the ship.

Hope this helps

The dinner menu always includes a soup and/or salad entrée. There are always multiple ordering options and You can order what you like and never have to take the entire meal.

If you order soup and salad they will ask if you want them together or brought out separately.

You would probably be discouraged from arriving at 8 and ordering a whole meal because the staff want to finish. But if you are only ordering something light I'm sure they wouldn't give you an issue.

One thing to note is that you are unlikely to find a table for 2 after the beginning of dinner, since they are generally in high demand. You would likely be joining a larger table that was in the middle of dinner.

One thing to note is that you are unlikely to find a table for 2 after the beginning of dinner, since they are generally in high demand. You would likely be joining a larger table that was in the middle of dinner.

Unless the ship is not full...then there easily could be a table or two for two.

Unless the ship is not full...then there easily could be a table or two for two.

I'm sure it varies from ship to ship and cruise to cruise, but even when not full, in my experience, the smaller tables often go quickly due to limited availability and everyone else just spreads out across the larger tables.

I agree with JP that his experience is the norm. I do believe there are some trips like the Italy trip we will be on in June that when the weather is nice it is possible to eat out on deck in a more casual setting.

Eating al fresco, cruising the Venetian lagoon, was a highlight of our Uniworld cruise. The best part? Over half of the nights, we were the only passengers there. Yes, we passed up gourmet dining for salad, fresh sliced prosciutto, and pizza.

31989732460_acf3042bc1_z.jpg

9843478395_5304f011aa_z.jpg

32216487022_41d7460180_z.jpg

9843661293_cafdc07907_z.jpg

9844118395_31f70c6719_z.jpg

31524245774_7bb588bc7a_z.jpg

Robin

You would probably be discouraged from arriving at 8 and ordering a whole meal because the staff want to finish. But if you are only ordering something light I'm sure they wouldn't give you an issue.

We prefer to have dinner at 8 or so and this was never an issue on Uniworld. It was one of the most enjoyable aspects of the cruise for us. And we were lucky in finding a table for 2 most nights.