Questions regarding MSC....

mrsemmaclairemoor

Hi all,

I am new to the forum so I hope I am posting this in the correct place :-).

I have never cruised with MSC before (been with P&O, NCL, Royal Caribbean and Thomson) and loved different things about each cruise.

I understand that MSC are catered to European cruising which is something different, I like to try new lines/ships. I am looking at booking a cruise from Southampton in September this year on the Preziosa and just wondered if anyone can help with answers to the following:

1. Dining - are there two set times like most ships or do they do a freestyle option?

2. Dining - are there any tables for two? Can you request these or are you always sat with other people?

3. Hair straighteners - I have read somewhere that MSC have banned people taking hair straighteners on board their ships, does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks so much in advance for responses. :-)

Hi all,

I am new to the forum so I hope I am posting this in the correct place :-).

I have never cruised with MSC before (been with P&O, NCL, Royal Caribbean and Thomson) and loved different things about each cruise.

I understand that MSC are catered to European cruising which is something different, I like to try new lines/ships. I am looking at booking a cruise from Southampton in September this year on the Preziosa and just wondered if anyone can help with answers to the following:

1. Dining - are there two set times like most ships or do they do a freestyle option?

2. Dining - are there any tables for two? Can you request these or are you always sat with other people?

3. Hair straighteners - I have read somewhere that MSC have banned people taking hair straighteners on board their ships, does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks so much in advance for responses. :-)

1. only if you book Aurea cabin you can get any time dinner

2.yes. but as on any other line its 50/50 chance to seat alone

I can only speak from the US side, on Divina. There are two set dining times. If you book the Aurea experience, you can do 'freestyle' dining in the MDR. the Yacht Club is freestyle in their dedicated restaurant. There are mostly tables for 4 - 6 - 8. I am seeing a few tables for 2 in the upper level of the aft restaurant. but the deck plans are just a schematic...

I have not heard that hair straighteners are banned. EM

mrsemmaclairemoor, welcome to cruisecritic, hopefully you'll get all of your questions answered to your satisfaction.

We just completed our first cruise on MSC Divina and had a great time. As far as hair straighteners go, I beleive they are ok to bring, however, we had a funny encounter with the "naughty room" on embarkation day.

naughty room - a room near guest services where they store suitcases marked as having something not allowed to be used on the ship. The thing that bothered us about this is that they didn't make any attempt to notify us that they had our suitcase. We made a point of letting them know they need to fix this so that pax know to enquire after a missing luggage.

We always take an extension cord, non-surge protector, on our travels and this time was no exception. Well, they held DH's suitcase and we had to go down to find out what the hold-up was. They had mistakenly marked the extension cord as an iron :eek:

Once we opened the suitcase and they saw what it was, they were very apologetic .. I have no idea how they made that mistake but it happens.

I can only speak from the US side, on Divina. There are two set dining times. If you book the Aurea experience, you can do 'freestyle' dining in the MDR. the Yacht Club is freestyle in their dedicated restaurant. There are mostly tables for 4 - 6 - 8. I am seeing a few tables for 2 in the upper level of the aft restaurant. but the deck plans are just a schematic...

I have not heard that hair straighteners are banned. EM

you have now

The wording is on the luggage labels

and I've Copied & Pasted part of them

Quote:-

Guests are advised that MSC

Cruises operates the following

on-board policy with regard to

prohibited items, which include

alcohol (beer, wine, spirits,

champagne, etc.), firearms,

irons, hair straighteners, weapons and sharp objects. Any

such items found in your

luggage when scanned during

the boarding process will

preclude embarkation. Unless a

guest disposes of such items

themselves at this point, they

will be confiscated and not

returned to the guest, without

exception.

pete

you have now

The wording is on the luggage labels

and I've Copied & Pasted part of them

Quote:-

Guests are advised that MSC

Cruises operates the following

on-board policy with regard to

prohibited items, which include

alcohol (beer, wine, spirits,

champagne, etc.), firearms,

irons, hair straighteners, weapons and sharp objects. Any

such items found in your

luggage when scanned during

the boarding process will

preclude embarkation. Unless a

guest disposes of such items

themselves at this point, they

will be confiscated and not

returned to the guest, without

exception.

pete

How are hair straighteners any worse then curling irons? I would say curling irons are worse, as the heating element is exposed and could light something on fire easier.

How are hair straighteners any worse then curling irons? I would say curling irons are worse, as the heating element is exposed and could light something on fire easier.

The T&Cs actually say NO HEAT GENERATING ITEMS which puts curling tongs the same as straighteners

heat%20generating%20items%20001.jpg

I will just add my experience, I saw the ban on hair straightener just as every one else. I called MSC directly prior to boarding the Divina for Christmas. I was told that I could bring my hair straightener so I did. No problem! I am booked on the Meraviglia in October and I will be bringing my straightener.

Thank you all so much for your responses. I emailed MSC direct also to check the point on straighteners, just to be on the safe side. They said there was a ban but it was lifted in December .... so yayyy no scarecrow hair for me!! Cruise now booked and cannot wait.

Thank you all again for your responses :-) x