Mobile Phone onboard

jason3695

HI all, I will be traveling on the MSC Splendida in 2 days. I just found out there may be a few phone calls I will need to make while I am on a Sea Day. I can't find any threads that discuss phone calls/cellular on board. I am not asking about mobile internet packages, I specifically would like to know if my mobile phone will ring at sea as it will on other cruise lines.

Thanks!

On it this week. We have a UK sim and bought the surfer wifi package.

I forwarded my US phone/voicemail to Google Voice and can read the messages.

You will likely need to buy the streamer package on sea day to do VoIP to make call. I don't think your phone will ring at sea.

We have been getting phone and data signal close to shore about an hour before and after getting and leaving from port.

On it this week. We have a UK sim and bought the surfer wifi package.

I forwarded my US phone/voicemail to Google Voice and can read the messages.

You will likely need to buy the streamer package on sea day to do VoIP to make call. I don't think your phone will ring at sea.

We have been getting phone and data signal close to shore about an hour before and after getting and leaving from port.

Where do you live (mobile so can't see your profile) and where have your phone rang on the other cruises? Line and location?

Hi Chinita, i will be joining you on Friday in Barcelona.

I live in Dubai. I've had what they call "Cellular at Sea" with Royal, Carnival, Celebrity, NCL....lot's of lines have it but I haven't seen if MSC does. If you turn on roaming, you should see a network called "Cellular at Sea" or something along those lines.

I made the unfortunate mistake previously of not turning off data roaming (cruise was between UK, France and Germany)

My phone automatically connected to a maritime network which was far more expensive than my normal network, racking up a large bill in not much time due to background apps running. Normal data allowance, talk minutes or texts were not included.

Hope this helps answer the question a little?

Jason... I don't see cellular at sea. When I checked with my US carrier ( Verizon) online, the Splendida was not available. Other MSC and other lines have this.

Thanks for the update. Hopefully the ship phone calls aren't too exorbitant.

Hope you're enjoying the cruise!! See you Friday!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

[6f73b38a15ccebd6f0770ad96799b70b.jpg405ae6fd995700026e7e057af7b3976a.jpg

7c4b486ddcf7552e8d3b3ca7b2cfdf75.jpgfb9c96d2b389ba5d6aee1866f6e66b22.jpg

Jason - we are on our sea day and I saw this on the interactive TV. GSM calls available in International Water supposedly.

We are just south of Sardinia and I checked and I DO have a rooming signal! Nothing about half an hour ago when I checked.

You should be good. Like all things I read about MSC, things are not always obvious.