Viking Explorer Society Benefits 2017 change

MikeyB

CJ-

Your understanding appears correct.

However, Viking cruises wrote the following-

"As you may know, the Viking Explorer Society also includes a number of additional benefits that are still exclusively available to members."

As far as I know (someone please correct me if I stray), the benefits according to my Society Membership Benefits brochure are the following-

Silver Tier (After one trip)

*Past Guest Travel Credit (This appears to be on life support)

*Members-only on board cocktail party (This appears to be a beverage and only a beverage of Vikings choosing)

*Exclusive Explorer Society phone number (So exclusive, I was never given this number or would know what to do with it)

Premier Tier (After 3 trips)

*Complimentary Viking Air Plus services

With the 4th Viking cruise I booked last week, I was told

*no past travel credit

*the complimentary Viking air service is now $50, no exceptions

Conclusion-

The number of exclusive benefits available to Explorer members is now

*A glass of white or red wine

*A phone number that I haven't explored enough to find.

Agreed -

I also have travelled on Viking 4 times, m last 2 cruises were within 6 months of each other! ...As a past passenger with Globus tours, I am entitled to a discount on Avalon. As a past AMA waterways cruiser, I am entitled to a past passenger discount. I travel with Insight vacations, and their partner is Uniworld..I have yet to ask if that entities me to some discount.

So there are many options for me to explore, where my past patronage will count for something, without being compromised by "specials" which are available to the public.

The company I last travelled with on a land trip, has an increasing scale of past passenger discount, increasing by $50 after completion of another trip, and possibly more on higher number of trips. Put into the mix I rebooked with them within 60 days of returning home, I TRIPLED my pas passenger discount. And this was on top of a black Friday sale, where discounts ranged up to $600 per person, depending on tour and departure date. They even had a 3-hour black Friday special to receive $75 off any excursion, per person, AND this was all ON TOP OF my triple past passenger discount.

And yes, I had been keeping an eye on this tour, prior...and NO, the price was NOT adjusted upward so that the discount really reflects nothing. the base booking price was exactly what it had been all along - albeit there had been some smaller promotions along the way.

So Viking could take a lesson from this, and in addition, get rid of the phony 2 for 1 pricing which is just a sales pitch. The tour company I booked with honored past passenger loyalty IN ADDITION to any marketing sales promotions - which were open to anyone. so loyalty WAS rewarded.

I guess business is so good that Viking does not need to rely on past guests. Howver, the cruising market is growing with more companies and ships getting into mix.

Oh, and I have made 3 referrals, and was told to utilize those referrals, I have to book within one year. Really...... I just gave these referrals this past summer/fall and my future travel plans are made for up to mid-2018 already.

I will gracefully get off my soapbox now :o

I see lot of complaints on the river cruise board s about the '2 for 1 ' pricing, but Viking is far from the only one that uses this marketing tool. I regularly get brochures from Oceania and other upscale lines that employ this tactic. So, it simply doesn't bother me because I see it for what it is, a market tool. I don't know why people get so exercised about it.

Becki

I don't know why people get so exercised about it.
1) I don't like being treated as an idiot.

2) I don't want to travel with people dumb enough to actually believe those ads (and yes there are people who believe that it is a 2/1 sale, or that they are giving away free air - you don't have to search that far to find newbie posts bragging about the great deal they scored).

3) California (the state that Viking operates from) has laws against misleading advertising (CA Bus & Prof Code § 17500)

I have traveled with both Viking and Oceania, and they delivered good cruises. I might travel with them in the future given a good enough deal, but their sales efforts start in a deep hole with me, as IMO their ads are more misleading than most companies, and often not worth researching to find all the pitfalls hidden therein.

After reading these discussions, I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to start a thread describing the benefits past cruisers get on various lines. We've discussed the Viking benefits a lot, and I think that it would be good to have one place where we could go to find out what each line provides. I remember seeing things like receptions, free laundry, discounts, etc. Unless someone can point out problems with doing this, I'll start the thread later today. Maybe eventually it could be a sticky!

FuelScience

I see lot of complaints on the river cruise board s about the '2 for 1 ' pricing, but Viking is far from the only one that uses this marketing tool. I regularly get brochures from Oceania and other upscale lines that employ this tactic. So, it simply doesn't bother me because I see it for what it is, a market tool. I don't know why people get so exercised about it.

Becki

I am not "exercised" about the 2 for 1 - I acrually just threw that into the conversation as an example...i can see past the gimmick, and I do not really care if they want to promote their product that way or not.

However, I agree with TravelerThom that I do not want to be taken for a fool.

The policy about past passenger allegiance and promotions is a source of contention.

Carol,

I was not referring to your post in my comments on Viking's 2 for 1. Sorry if it seemed that way.

From our first Viking cruise, I saw the 2 for 1 as what it is, an attention grabber, but it didn't bother me, because, as I have said, I have seen this marketing tactic used by other lines. If, on the other hand, my TA also tried to represent the pricing as 2 for 1, that is where I would feel like I was being taken for a fool. ;)

Becki

Becki, Becki, Becki,

If your TA thinks that your an intelligent consumer of goods and services, wouldn't you expect the same from Viking? They actually provide the service.

Would you be upset if the Welcome dinner meal on your next Viking cruise offered a 2 for 1 meal for you and your significant other?

I have no experience with the other cruise lines. Viking is the biggest and offers more cruises than I can go on in a lifetime. They might all employ deceptive advertising and staff.

But it shouldn't take much to explain in fully in the small print section of the brochure or website that begins this was- Note: Offers valid on bookings etc etc.

There should be no need to also state- Additional restrictions may apply, without explaining what they are.

Dear Tellus@Viking Cruises- Is that to much to ask?

Mikey, apples and oranges. My TA knows me very well. Viking might by now. :D I just simply don't take their marketing as a personal affront.

I think like you, it does bear upon the customer to make sure they are getting the best price and all discounts that are coming to them, and they shouldn't have to jump thru hoops to do it. Luckily for me, my TA will go to bat for me in those situations, but I am not shy about doing it myself.

Becki

Carol,

I was not referring to your post in my comments on Viking's 2 for 1. Sorry if it seemed that way.

From our first Viking cruise, I saw the 2 for 1 as what it is, an attention grabber, but it didn't bother me, because, as I have said, I have seen this marketing tactic used by other lines. If, on the other hand, my TA also tried to represent the pricing as 2 for 1, that is where I would feel like I was being taken for a fool. ;)

Becki

Thanks, no need for apologies.

And as a side note, we are very pleased with Viking and the product they offer. Guess I am just getting annoyed with the "gimmicks" involved in both ocean cruise line and river cruises that has developed in the last few years. I am very black and white, show me the money type of person...I don't want to have to create a spreadsheet to compare and to squint to read all the embedded fine print. A little more transparency and cut to the chase attitude for me!

Edited by CJcruzer

Dear Villager-

When Viking goes low, you need to go high!. That means call Viking and speak to a Supervisor. The reduced air should not have disqualified you from your loyalty benefits. Viking is clear in stating that free air disqualifies you. But you should get it for reduced air.

Signed,

Michelle

We just booked our 3rd cruise, within 1 month of our last one, and were told we don't qualify for travel credit because we have reduced air. Based on this, I would have to say that Viking has NO loyalty program!:(

wow! is all I have to say....I may have to reconsider this, when I compare some other river cruise companies versus Viking. I always thought it was a given to "figure in" my past passenger credit.

I'm booked for France's Finest in 2018 and yeah we didn't get a credit but we did get the free airfare. I think my Viking Agent and I talked about it. I'm getting back with her to refresh my memory as to what we talked about. But the catalog does say until Jan 31, the 2017 fares include the Explorer travel credit. When she gets back to me I'll share.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

CJ-

Premier Tier (After 3 trips)

*Complimentary Viking Air Plus services

It seems like this one does not exist anymore. I've not seen it for a long time on Viking's website. And there was actually another one: "complimentary upgrade if available after 3 cruises with Viking". Also removed :eek:

Mmmmmm. Not sure if this will help bank or pour fuel on the fire. But you may want to look at the changes made to services included with stateroom class. Specifically Verandah Suite that I know about having booked France's Finest for 2018. Viking Air Plus and laundry services are now complementary. Weren't before. And complementary Viking Air Plus can be combined with free air. Agree that VES travel credit on top would be nice but not a deal breaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Milling73,

Sorry, I trashed that mailing from Viking. However, Viking should be able to look up the offer-Source code J01L3D

And in a previous e-mail I mentioned not knowing the Exclusive Explorer Society phone number. I found it!

It was on the back of my Silver Society membership card. It's 866-788-4546

I never called that number. They might also have cut the cord on that benefit!

I too am very disappointed with the lack of loyalty with Viking. Just booked a 2018 cruise in which I didn't get the benefit. Viking claims it is already included. didn't take the air offered either since the deviation fee and additional city fee would equal what I could get on my own. Only reason I'm booking with Viking is I have a travel voucher (compensation)

No real reason to book early either except I get choice of room. The same cruise in 2017 same room is same price with additional perks. Too bad I can't go this year as I already have another trip planned.

This will probably be my last cruise with Viking. will go back to AMA.

Good for you!

Persistence does pay off.

I suggest to everyone, who gets a reply about the loyalty benefits that it's included-

Ask for a supervisor.

Didn't Viking have an offer for the prior sailing season where they were offering air for $295 and a generous cancellation policy?

This year they offer air for $595 (Summer time). The way I see it, they raised the air by $300 and then offer you up to $300 in OBC. Therefore the loyalty benefit should not be viewed as being included.

I'm glad you got what you wanted. Personally, I don't find these incentives to be very important. I will take onboard credit and small discounts when offered, but $200 more or less is not going to make a difference when I decide what cruise to book.

... $200 more or less is not going to make a difference when I decide what cruise to book.

$200 won't make a difference, but per cabin (2 people) it is already $400 and more important it shows if company cares about their loyal customers. It is seems like the past guest discount is eliminated from almost all offers this year. Here is standard S04 offer for this year cruises:

----------------

Offer S04: Offer valid on bookings made from January 23, 2017 to January 31, 2017. Cruise from $1,849 per person based on November 2017 departures of Danube Waltz on Category E; other months may be higher, please call for details. Prices are in US dollars and for US residents only. Viking all-inclusive air with transfers available. Air does not have to be purchased to get cruise/tour offer. All fares reflect Viking Explorer Society credits and First-time travelers discounts. May not be combinable with any other offers except Referral Rewards. Additional restrictions may apply. Book and pay in full by January 31, 2017. Offer expires January 31, 2017.

-----------------