Live from Seabourn Encore

Able Seaman H

Free101girl,

Thank you for your response about the Retreat.

If you entered the area from the forward elevator landing on deck 12 you would walk straight into the Retreat. But from other approaches on deck 12 are four signs and rope barriers which read "Staff Only we apologize for any inconvenience caused".

And a further thank you for your view that anyone walking outside your Retreat cabana. Yours is valuable input!

I hope you have a terrific cruise towards Bali and beyond.

Happy and healthy cruising!

You have stated repeatedly you are an out of Athens December, 2016 - Jan. 7! 2017 cheerleader. Perhaps you have a vested interest in the Encore's status quo that might be revealed?

The term cheerleader implies I see only the good. That is not the case. I first posted on Cruise Critic following a less than perfect Royal Caribbean Cruise. At the time I had previously been a strong advocate of the line.

If I feel let down by Seabourn then Cruise Critic will be the first place to know.

I have no vested interest in Encore, in fact quite the opposite. If it proves a success then fares will no doubt rise. If nobody wants to cruise Encore then fares will likely fall.

Henry :)

Oh brother...

It is my opinion that Encore is better suited to very short cruises due to its drawbacks. You CANNOT dismiss my opinion as "wrong" because, inter alia, my opinion does not BELONG to you to denigrate.

How I might walk across deck 12, how I might impact other passengers (including those who routinely see walkers on deck 10 above and around the swimming pool), and the notion that my walking creates "pounding" on lower decks is ludicrous. Has anyone, ANYONE, occupying deck 10 cabins on the Odyssey, Sojourn and Quest complained about walking on the open deck 11 and golf putting, golf driving and shuffle board?!?

You have stated repeatedly you are an out of Athens December, 2016 - Jan. 7! 2017 cheerleader. Perhaps you have a vested interest in the Encore's status quo that might be revealed?

Anyway, and as Seabourn senior management have confirmed in the days since we left Singapore, changes to Encore will obviously have to be made. This ship, and its successor, are a work in PROGRESS. And I expect that they will in the coming months, some with dry dock, given the NEGATIVE customer feedback on the laundry, Club and Retreat, INCLUDING mine about restricting access to the perimeter of deck 12 (which stands on its own terms despite what you claim might be the damage to the Retreat clients' sensibilities).

As a Diamond Elite member as of the end of this month, I would expect nothing less of Seabourn. And since I have choice I will be pleased to join the Odyssey, Quest and Sojourn, during the next 12 months for extended duration cruises.

That's MY choice. Just as you make yours.

Happy and healthy sailing!

We all have choices, don't we? After re-reading the thread, I am inclined to agree with many of your complaints. Though only a Platinum Member, I get enough benifits to off set some things. Still loss of laundry, walking space and putting green bothers me. I would bet that a "golf simulator" would carry a significant expense? Regardless...until Encore evolves a bit, Sojourn, Oddesy ad Quest will do me just fine.

And that is the great thing about the Seabourn fleet, you have a choice.

We've had 4 great cruises on Sojourn, one great cruise on Encore. If I'm being honest I preferred Encore but that has a lot to do with dining options. Let's see what Sojourn is like after her dry dock makeover.

I would happily cruise either ships again.

Jet jock,

I have to disagree with you about customer priorities. I mean, really... golfers want golf? Shuffleboarders want shuffleboard? Walkers want to walk on deck? And then there is this idea that a new ship with 150 more passengers SHOULD HAVE proportionately equivalent deck space for recreation.

Piffle!

If the Retreat concept - the installation that has coopted the space that might be used for recreation - is so smart (and so profitable for those concerned with such matters) - then I insist that the deckspace now used on Odyssey, Quest and Sojourn be cordoned off immediately and then that Retreats be installed there too with cabanas, TVs, a bar area, and a scented jacuzzi.

So let's get with it! The change would protect the brand. consistency and simplicity count, you know. Retreats across the fleet and no deck sports NOW!

With the benefit of shutting down those who would question the logic of the Retreat and other aspects of the Encore, such as the lack of a passenger laundry and a Club that is about 3/4 the size of the Ody class ships but with a much smaller dance floor, the look of a beige interior of a 1968 Ford Taurus, and no bartender.

Just sayin'

Isklaar,

You are most welcome!

More about the Retreat: a rhetorical question was posed on the Laundry thread about how popular the Retreat has been. Of course, I have no hard data but I volunteer to check the place daily during this Benoa to Sydney cruise and give

some feedback.

During the inaugural Singapore to Benoa cruise I did check a few times. The largest number was 6 couples on a warm sea day; 2 of the 6 couples disembarked today. There was no one at all on rainy days and on the hot port days, as you would expect. The Retreat then becomes a very dispiriting place.

There are 15 cabanas. Maybe some have been offered up gratis to certain guests and/or maybe that will be the case going forward? Our next 2 days are port days and then we have 2 sea days. I will keep tabs on it and revert.

During the inaugural Singapore to Benoa cruise I did check a few times. The largest number was 6 couples on a warm sea day; 2 of the 6 couples disembarked today. There was no one at all on rainy days and on the hot port days, as you would expect.

As I've previously posted, we used the Retreat on one of the early sea days of the leg you mentioned, and there were more than six cabanas occupied that day. It gives me the creeps to think that someone might have been spying on us during our time in the Retreat and actually taking note of whether we disembarked the ship today. Wow.

"Creeps"?

If you want to believe that the Retreat, with its common area and open sided cabanas is a retreat from reality then the news is that Seabourn staff and management, visitors to their friends at the Retreat, and those who know users of the Retreat to varying degrees DO know who uses it and when, and discuss what happens there. Just as in the dining rooms, lounges, art and bridge classes and poolside. The forward elevator at deck 12 opens towards the common area of the Retreat. This is a cruise ship, after all.

On that note, I DO know 2 couples who used the Retreat once. They disembarked in Benoa. That was not a secret to us and we even know their onward travel plans.

Edited by markham

It is unfortunate that this otherwise lovely thread has degraded into such a state. Everyone has their personal opinions and are free to share them here but I think the time has come to close off the "retreat" debate. Love it or hate it...if one feels strongly for/against then they should provide Seabourn with their feedback directly (and then move on).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Markham.

I think you are walking a thin line between having your voice heard and your opinion not being taken seriously because people see you as fixated, possibly to the point of being delusional.

Your thoughts and feelings are now well known to readers of this thread, don't spill the wind from your own sails by continuing to labour the point.

As the creator of the thread I am quite happy for it to be used for debate or even a continuation of the Encore journey with someone carrying on the baton as the ship journeys on and we settle back to normal life.

I understand there were fireworks in Bali to celebrate the end of the Inagural cruise. I know some people were disappointed that due to Singapore restrictions there were no fireworks as the ship set sail on January 7.

Right now we are talking about how many people are using the Retreat.

You had your opportunity to offer your about Encore before you disembarked. But as the Retreat and other aspects of Encore remain a work in progress, it's fair to keep the information flow flowing since I am supplying information to another poster- who asked about Retreat usage on a related "laundry" thread yesterday - while I am still on board.

I was going to give it a few days before reporting back, but since you chimed in, today NO ONE used the Retreat. Hence the question whether it's a smart use of Encore's limited deck space for recreation.

Many on board Encore are discussing why Seabourn management made the choices they made for Encore, when mistakes will be rectified, and what the next ship Ovation will offer. From what I can tell, and through my own conversations with Seabourn senior management, they get it. They value our patronage, loyalty, and historical confidence in the brand. This CC thread simply reflects some of that dialogue and encourages more of it. I certainly hope that's Ok with you.

Edited by markham

A little late, I just checked the Herald, and so I have to qualify my comment about marketing the Retreat and apologize to anyone I may have offended...

From 16:00 to 18:00 today the place was open at the forward elevator end (only) for viewing. That explains the traffic and I guess that anyone with interest can follow up at the Square.

Edited by markham

Speaking as a Seabourn enthusiast, all be it less vocal than some on these boards, I would ask that this thread is now closed, we have seen a valuable exchange of information degenerate into personal insults.

It seems that Encore is not perfect and I for one will miss the golf/shuffle board having enjoyed many an afternoon participating in deck sports.

No doubt all will be resolved going forward but as it stands now we will not book Encore.

One final point we will be trying Viking Ocean later this year, the competition in the segment is getting more intense and none of the players can afford to stand still or alienate existing customers.

Over to you Host Dan

Speaking as a Seabourn enthusiast, all be it less vocal than some on these boards, I would ask that this thread is now closed, we have seen a valuable exchange of information degenerate into personal insults.

It seems that Encore is not perfect and I for one will miss the golf/shuffle board having enjoyed many an afternoon participating in deck sports.

No doubt all will be resolved going forward but as it stands now we will not book Encore.

One final point we will be trying Viking Ocean later this year, the competition in the segment is getting more intense and none of the players can afford to stand still or alienate existing customers.

Over to you Host Dan

If you have Heather as your CD (formerly of the Quest), you will have a lovely time. Make sure you hear her sing

We were on Viking sea with heather this past September. A wonderful cruise and she is terrific. We loved the relaxed atmosphere and made lasting friends.

Viking did not have an itinerary that we liked for 2017 in September so we booked seabourn encore. 1st time seabourn. The tone and sniping on the seabourn boards has me very concerned if we made a wrong decision. Fortunately we don't have to make final payment and deposit if fully refundable till June.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Over to you Host Dan

I agree. First of all, no ship is perfect. It simply doesn't exist because what is perfect for one person is deficient for another. Sometimes I envy the people who have never heard of CC and simply board the ship determined to have a good time and do so despite flaws here and there. Seurat had the right idea. Look at the big picture and not the small points that make it up.

Yes Henry indeed it is a bonus not having heard of CC.

Encore is a work in progress and those making a knee jerk reaction to things that do not seem right for them should just relax and send comments to Seabourn for further consideration.

I am sure the retreat will be sorted when Seabourn realise that it generates no extra revenue.

The laundry will be added for those that cannot go on vacation without spending time in a small hot laundry room rather than use the laundry service and enjoy time away.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

After this cruise I think we get a free bag of washing each week if we choose the option. Actually 2 free bags each week if both of us tick the box.

A good man would tick the washing box and allow his beloved and long suffering wife to enjoy her signature massage.

Sharon, make sure you've filled out the list on the washing bag, I'm off to the Spa........

I promise not do discuss deck 12 or the laundry again.

Change of topic, what did everyone think of the new headline shows?

If you have Heather as your CD (formerly of the Quest), you will have a lovely time. Make sure you hear her sing

I wonder if this is the same Heather who was on Seabourn Spirit before she was sold. I hope so - what a wonderful voice I would love to hear her sing again.

We were on Viking sea with heather this past September. A wonderful cruise and she is terrific. We loved the relaxed atmosphere and made lasting friends.

Viking did not have an itinerary that we liked for 2017 in September so we booked seabourn encore. 1st time seabourn. The tone and sniping on the seabourn boards has me very concerned if we made a wrong decision. Fortunately we don't have to make final payment and deposit if fully refundable till June.

Don't be alarmed/concerned. Our first Seabourn cruise was last February and we will be boarding Encore February 18 in Auckland. We loved our experience and met many wonderful people on our cruise. the service, staff and ambience (and medical staff :eek:) on the Soujourn was top notch and we have no doubt we will experience more of the same on Encore. A bit OT, but we will take our first Viking cruise in 2018 - checking it out on the northern "Into the Midnight Sun"

I haven't been on the Encore but I have been on three Seabourn cruises in the last 3 years and will be on a fourth in a few months. I can tell you that the people we have met have been delightful. Sometimes people get carried away on these boards. I'm sure if you keep your Seabourn booking you will have a wonderful time.

The fact people are so passionate on here should actually encourage you not put you off. It shows the fondness we all have for our time on board. Had the experience been second rate we would not care what happens moving forwards.

There is also a big difference between what someone might type anonymously on a forum and how they would hold their self in a face to face encounter.

A Seabourn ship, any Seabourn ship is a wonderful place to be. Inclusive, social and you get treated like royalty.

IMO you have not made the wrong decision. I have done 2 SB cruises and another is booked for mid year. Both cruises to date were brilliant, not perfect but very close for us.

I must admit, the tone of this forum has deteriorated since I was looking to do our first cruise. Then I got such a good vibe from this forum. I can understand your feeling from reading this forum lately. I think you need to go with an open mind and I am sure you will have a lovely time as we did and intend to do this year.