Antarctica Ventures Kayaking

florisdekort

Hello,

Has anyone done the Ventures Kayaking in Antarctica? If so, any thoughts or tips you can share? Also, did you feel it was worth the $250 price tag? And lastly, I assume the time slots do not conflict with the zodiac landings? I would hate to miss out on an opportunity to go ashore...

Thanks!

Floris

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was almost talked into it by the Ventures guys who run the kayaking ( Paul and John) but decided to hold off until Alaska. I did talk to a number of people who went out most times it was offered and loved it. If you are a kayaker I would say absolutely do it once. You will never again have the experience of being amongst seals, penguins, calving glaciers, sea birds and maybe a humpback whale. What they do for kayaker is let then go on the zodiac tour in any color group time slot so it does not matter if your assigned color group conflicts with the kayaking. The only slight negative I hear from one couple is that it is difficult putting on the suit of protective gear that that they have you wear. But they were impressed with how watertight it seemed to be. Hope you get an actual first hand account.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was almost talked into it by the Ventures guys who run the kayaking ( Paul and John) but decided to hold off until Alaska. I did talk to a number of people who went out most times it was offered and loved it. If you are a kayaker I would say absolutely do it once. You will never again have the experience of being amongst seals, penguins, calving glaciers, sea birds and maybe a humpback whale. What they do for kayaker is let then go on the zodiac tour in any color group time slot so it does not matter if your assigned color group conflicts with the kayaking. The only slight negative I hear from one couple is that it is difficult putting on the suit of protective gear that that they have you wear. But they were impressed with how watertight it seemed to be. Hope you get an actual first hand account.

Very helpful thanks. Is there any opportunity do you know to take photos whilst kayaking? Clearly I know it's wet, splashy, u need hands for the paddle but do people try it, or is it forbidden due to safety?

Thanks - very helpful indeed! I will absolutely give it a try. It sounds like an advantage that you can take any zodiac tour. If you pre-book the afternoon kayak slot, you can then take the first zodiac that goes out in the morning...

Again, much appreciated!

Floris

Hi, we just did this. We didn’t know how it worked, so we didn’t sign up until we were on the ship. The guest services person said the kayak excursions are often cancelled and recommended that we sign up for several different days. So that’s what we did. You can cancel with (I think) 48 hours notice.

Fortunately, we got to go on the first day in Antarctica and had a wonderful time. I think it was worth the price tag and would certainly do it again. We rowed through some crunchy ice, got probably too close to a leopard seal lounging on an iceberg, and watched penguins porpoising through the water next to us. It was beautiful and peaceful and quiet.

Our assigned time was at 11:30 am, but our color group was supposed to go ashore that day at noon. We went ashore with the 9:00 group but could have gone with any of the other groups at 6:00, 7:30, or 10:30. You find out what time your group is scheduled the next day at the pre-dinner briefing, but you don’t know what time your kayaking excursion is until they give you the tour tickets. This didn’t seem to happen until very late in the evening so it does make it kind of hard to plan.

You wear all your regular clothes that you wear to go ashore except for the waterproof pants and the orange waterproof parka. I don’t think we wore our regular black parkas either. They dress you in a waterproof oversuit and a life jacket, so you don’t need to bring your life jacket from the room. Someone told me to wear two pairs of wool socks but probably one would have been enough on the day we went.

The paddles have these big neoprene mittens attached to them that you are supposed to put your hands in. I guess it’s to keep your hands warm, but it was the opposite for me since I was always getting cold water in them. I wore waterproof gloves underneath but thought that maybe mittens would have kept my hands warmer.

Oh, and they also give you a dry bag for your stuff. We left the big camera in the suite but we did take a few pictures with our phones. There wasn’t a whole lot of time for photos though.

Hope that helps. Have fun!

Hi, we just did this. We didn’t know how it worked, so we didn’t sign up until we were on the ship. The guest services person said the kayak excursions are often cancelled and recommended that we sign up for several different days. So that’s what we did. You can cancel with (I think) 48 hours notice.

Fortunately, we got to go on the first day in Antarctica and had a wonderful time. I think it was worth the price tag and would certainly do it again. We rowed through some crunchy ice, got probably too close to a leopard seal lounging on an iceberg, and watched penguins porpoising through the water next to us. It was beautiful and peaceful and quiet.

Our assigned time was at 11:30 am, but our color group was supposed to go ashore that day at noon. We went ashore with the 9:00 group but could have gone with any of the other groups at 6:00, 7:30, or 10:30. You find out what time your group is scheduled the next day at the pre-dinner briefing, but you don’t know what time your kayaking excursion is until they give you the tour tickets. This didn’t seem to happen until very late in the evening so it does make it kind of hard to plan.

You wear all your regular clothes that you wear to go ashore except for the waterproof pants and the orange waterproof parka. I don’t think we wore our regular black parkas either. They dress you in a waterproof oversuit and a life jacket, so you don’t need to bring your life jacket from the room. Someone told me to wear two pairs of wool socks but probably one would have been enough on the day we went.

The paddles have these big neoprene mittens attached to them that you are supposed to put your hands in. I guess it’s to keep your hands warm, but it was the opposite for me since I was always getting cold water in them. I wore waterproof gloves underneath but thought that maybe mittens would have kept my hands warmer.

Oh, and they also give you a dry bag for your stuff. We left the big camera in the suite but we did take a few pictures with our phones. There wasn’t a whole lot of time for photos though.

Hope that helps. Have fun!

Thank you so much for taking the time to write all that down - it is precisely what I was looking and hoping for. Very much appreciated!! I just booked 3 kayak trips; more to look forward to! Again - thank you!!

Floris

Floris - Please post your thoughts afterwards. I might sign up for this in December, 2017. I've only kayaked once before so I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on a "rookie" doing this. Do you kayak a lot?

Floris - Please post your thoughts afterwards. I might sign up for this in December, 2017. I've only kayaked once before so I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on a "rookie" doing this. Do you kayak a lot?

I absolutely will. I've only kayaked twice before so you're not far behind me [emoji3]

We just got back from Antarctica in December. Before boarding I was not about to spend that kind of money to kayak! The price was ridiculous! Well, Antarctica was so incredibly beautiful. After one zodiac trip I was so enchanted that I quickly changed my mind! Kayaking was so peaceful and serene. Imagine the thrill of seeing a whale surface and blow about a football field length away!!! You know how those commercial talk about "priceless". Kayaking was truly priceless!

We just got back from Antarctica in December. Before boarding I was not about to spend that kind of money to kayak! The price was ridiculous! Well, Antarctica was so incredibly beautiful. After one zodiac trip I was so enchanted that I quickly changed my mind! Kayaking was so peaceful and serene. Imagine the thrill of seeing a whale surface and blow about a football field length away!!! You know how those commercial talk about "priceless". Kayaking was truly priceless!

Thank you for that glaring review! I'm getting more and more enthusiastic by the day :) 13 more nights until we sail!

Floris

Thank you for that glaring review! I'm getting more and more enthusiastic by the day :) 13 more nights until we sail!

Floris

We just did the kayaking 2 days ago. My partner had never done it before and we were clearly outclassed by the others. So, one of the guides stayed with us while the others went off with the other guide. We essentially got individualized kayaking lessons and a private tour around the bay. We got up close and personal with penguins, seals, petrels, etc., and got to see an iceberg "explode" and capsize. It was a glorious experience and one of the highlights of our visit to Antarctica, which has unfortunately been cut short by a medical emergency on board.