All Things Vantage

FuelScience

I think you need to remember folks usually post about a "problem" and not when everything goes smoothly as planned. We have not done an European River cruise on one of their boats but the three more distant cruises and land portions were wonderful!

Vantage offers a good product although I do not think that they are the GREAT DEAL they once were. They count the days of a trip by including flight days (make sure to compare with other lines) .......Vantage Adventure "small group" promise may be a misleading. No name tags or luggage tags and you must download and print your own documents.

For the right itinerary and a competitive price we would definitely sail with them again.

I think you need to remember folks usually post about a "problem" and not when everything goes smoothly as planned. We have not done an European River cruise on one of their boats but the three more distant cruises and land portions were wonderful!

Vantage offers a good product although I do not think that they are the GREAT DEAL they once were. They count the days of a trip by including flight days (make sure to compare with other lines) .......Vantage Adventure "small group" promise may be a misleading. No name tags or luggage tags and you must download and print your own documents.

For the right itinerary and a competitive price we would definitely sail with them again.

Point taken! We attempted to book on another line through a travel agent for an itinerary in 2018 and the preferred date was completely booked! So, I took the leap and called Vantage and have to say, if the rest of my interaction with them was like my first, I couldn't have been more pleased. We have traveled with Vantage on one previous cruise and loved it, so I will assume that this one will be just as exciting!

Cole

Point taken! We attempted to book on another line through a travel agent for an itinerary in 2018 and the preferred date was completely booked! So, I took the leap and called Vantage and have to say, if the rest of my interaction with them was like my first, I couldn't have been more pleased. We have traveled with Vantage on one previous cruise and loved it, so I will assume that this one will be just as exciting!

Cole

Here's hoping you go 2 for 2. We, unfortunately are 0 for 1 with their Boston office and are extremely unlikely to try them again. Too many changes (dates, advertised tours and meals), an unwillingness to adjust our flights, and total lack of assistance when we had flight problems.

Here's hoping you go 2 for 2. We, unfortunately are 0 for 1 with their Boston office and are extremely unlikely to try them again. Too many changes (dates, advertised tours and meals), an unwillingness to adjust our flights, and total lack of assistance when we had flight problems.

Hopefully, since we always book our own flights - we won't run into any problems, but time will tell. I realize that we are responsible for our own arrival and transportation to and from the hotels, but willing to take that chance in order to be more in control. Fingers crossed.

Cole

We were looking at an hour and a half airport transfer at each end of the cruise. That and much better flight prices than I could get motivated us to book air through Vantage. Transfers, even with flights being FUBAR, went smoothly. I was glad I had the concierge's email to coordinate getting to the ship; she came through!

To all cruisers on Vantage, please be aware if you have to cancel your cruise Vantage will only give you $400 back on your deposit. Now that is based on our $1000 deposit.

Let me tell you my story. My husband died in August and needless to say I needed to cancel the trip that was to happen in the end of Oct, 2017. That cancellation was well over a year before the cruise and let's face it they would be able to book the room again.

I told the representative that I could not believe they could not refund the entire deposit and what was I suppose to do. His reply was he was sorry about my loss, but I needed to get the remaining amount from my insurance. Luckily, I had gotten insurance right after making the booking. I did eventually recoup my $600, but what a sad policy this river cruise has made.

I will never sail with Vantage and will tell other cruising friends my story so they are aware of the pitfalls with Vantage!

I want no sympathy. I just want be to be aware of the realities of River cruising or at least cruising with Vantage.

Kathy:D

To all cruisers on Vantage, please be aware if you have to cancel your cruise Vantage will only give you $400 back on your deposit. Now that is based on our $1000 deposit.

Let me tell you my story. My husband died in August and needless to say I needed to cancel the trip that was to happen in the end of Oct, 2017. That cancellation was well over a year before the cruise and let's face it they would be able to book the room again.

I told the representative that I could not believe they could not refund the entire deposit and what was I suppose to do. His reply was he was sorry about my loss, but I needed to get the remaining amount from my insurance. Luckily, I had gotten insurance right after making the booking. I did eventually recoup my $600, but what a sad policy this river cruise has made.

I will never sail with Vantage and will tell other cruising friends my story so they are aware of the pitfalls with Vantage!

I want no sympathy. I just want be to be aware of the realities of River cruising or at least cruising with Vantage.

Kathy:D

Kathy: Vantage was right. It says in their contract that the deposit is not reefundable. That's why you buy insurance. If you look at airlines, you can pay $500 for a flight and then the next day you want to change it. They charge $200 to do that even though they can now sell that seat.

And a few folks on one of the threads bought their own airfare (ours was included in our Vantage package. And then Vantage cancelled the cruise. I n that case you are entitled to a full refund from Vantage but not the airfare you bough on your own - unless you had insurance.

April will be our first RIVER cruise and first Vantage trip. We bought $500 pp insurance the day after booking (covering the non-refundable deposits) which gave us a Pre-existing waiver rider. We then raised the coverage after making final payment. And Vantage's insurance is not the best coverage. I recommend using Insure My Trip.com. We've been long time users of their service.

We were booked on vantage Danube cruise for June 2017. Booked in September cruise cancelled in October. We are still waiting for our refund. Full payment came out of our checking account in 24 hours but somehow they can't manage to send refunds let a lone compensation for the flights and hotels we already booked. We are feeling like this trip was a scam to raise cash flow or who knows maybe bankruptcy. Many calls get us no where letters going out today. Be aware.

Still waiting for an update Lilac. :confused: I assume you called Vantage. What was their response?

Hopefully, since we always book our own flights - we won't run into any problems, but time will tell. I realize that we are responsible for our own arrival and transportation to and from the hotels, but willing to take that chance in order to be more in control. Fingers crossed.

Cole

B> Can I assume you purchased insurance to cover the flights too? We used their air (as it was part of the package and they got a great rate. We bought $500 each insurance on day of booking (equal to non-refundable deposit). Then we increased it to cover full trip on the day we made final payment. (that was last week). So we are covered. With cruises at this price level insurance is MANDATORY (not for Vantage but for the cruiser)! and Vantage's insurance pkg is no bargain. We shop through Insure my Trip. com

If you purchase Vantage air, and pay an $100. additional fee, you can pick the flights you want. Then u will have transfers and if Vantage makes changes, they will take care of The air, since they booked the flights.

If you purchase Vantage air, and pay an $100. additional fee, you can pick the flights you want. Then u will have transfers and if Vantage makes changes, they will take care of The air, since they booked the flights.

Exactly what we did. And extended stay at end in Amsterdam. Found same classhotel as Vantage was offering for 5% of their price.

Of course we had to deal with out own air seating. changes. Vantage Air put us two rows from back. For $124 we were able to move up to Coach PLUS on one leg. and to 3rd row of coach for no charge the other. Well worth the $100.

Also, they make the air reservation when you book, but you don't have to insure the air cost until final payment as you aren't liable for the air until Fainal Payment date ;)

We just booked with Vantage for a Jan 2018 river cruise. All these bad experiences are a bit concerning. However, you can find similar stories about the other river cruise lines as well. We booked and paid in full immediately to get the discount. We also received our cabin assignment on the new boat they are using on the Irrawaddy. Once flight schedules open up, they said they would call me to discuss the flights and transfer times before finalizing. My only complaint so far is that their website and graphics were messed up for 2018 and the prices listed online were not what was in the company's computers.

OK - there are eight of us traveling in a group on 10/4 Basel to AMS. If we get 10 in total, one goes free - assume the cheapest fare less port and incl all discounts (esaypay/alumni/birthday/adn others). I plan to split this savings approx $4,000 among all 10 - if we get 10.

Does anyone know when Vantage pays the $4,000 (in this instance) back? I it a check?

Additionally, still looking for the 9th/10th passenger for our cruise - anyone interested?

We just booked with Vantage for a Jan 2018 river cruise. All these bad experiences are a bit concerning. However, you can find similar stories about the other river cruise lines as well. We booked and paid in full immediately to get the discount. We also received our cabin assignment on the new boat they are using on the Irrawaddy. Once flight schedules open up, they said they would call me to discuss the flights and transfer times before finalizing. My only complaint so far is that their website and graphics were messed up for 2018 and the prices listed online were not what was in the company's computers.

Hi TTT. If you paid all up front I hope you got at least a 10% discount. And that you are buying insurance on the full amount now. Not only will you get pre-existing condition coverage but you are covered in case of default.

I looked at Vantage's trip insurance and found that it was not as good as we could get via other companies using insure my trip.

Looking forward to our April cruise.

I was surprised that I never saw this discussed on CC before. So I'll ask the Vantage "veterans".

On Ocean Cruises, prices fluctuate up (and DOWN) as the cruise line tries to fill cabins. And - until final payment date - if price goes down you can get the lower price IF you ask. Of course, river cruises are much smaller. (and ,in our case this time, we made final payment already), but does Vantage ever reduce the price to fill a ship? And, if so, is there a way to get the reduced price if Final Payment not due yet, and you only made a deposit.?

Just curious.:cool:

...does Vantage ever reduce the price to fill a ship? And, if so, is there a way to get the reduced price if Final Payment not due yet, and you only made a deposit.?
I have done around 6 Vantage trips. What follows is my best take, but may not be precisely correct.

Yes Vantage does reduce price.

Method 1 (used by many river companies): they through in freebies. Reduced or free air. Free extensions. etc

less often Method 2: Actual modest price variations occasionally: sometimes larger discounts for Last Minute Sales.

Vantage does not refund deposits, nor will it reduce the price you contract for. I don't know if Vantage blocks you from walking away from one deposit and booking at a new lower price.

I have done around 6 Vantage trips. What follows is my best take, but may not be precisely correct.

Yes Vantage does reduce price.

Method 1 (used by many river companies): they through in freebies. Reduced or free air. Free extensions. etc

less often Method 2: Actual modest price variations occasionally: sometimes larger discounts for Last Minute Sales.

Vantage does not refund deposits, nor will it reduce the price you contract for. I don't know if Vantage blocks you from walking away from one deposit and booking at a new lower price.

I've done 8 and that has been my experience as well. The only thing i will keep repeating is that once you land at your departure point Vantage will shine.....in spite of the annoyances you will face dealing with corporate!!

First river cruise in April on the Danube Discovery. Do you "dress" for dinner each night or is it pretty laid back?

No need to dress up. I doubt that you'll see more than two men with jackets on for the formal nights. Women will generally wear nice slacks and men wear collared shirts and khakis.

IME there aren't even any nights called "formal" or any sort of dress-up. There may be a Captain's dinner, but it's not about formal dress. AMA has a special tastings restaurant that each guest can enjoy (included in fare) -- the food is more "formal" but people dress the same way. :)

IME there aren't even any nights called "formal" or any sort of dress-up. There may be a Captain's dinner, but it's not about formal dress. AMA has a special tastings restaurant that each guest can enjoy (included in fare) -- the food is more "formal" but people dress the same way. :)

So a nice sundress or slacks and blouse would be acceptable? Hubby could do khakis and a nice golf shirt? Depending on the weather mid April.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Curious about the "Captain's Club" dinner.

We will be on our first Vantage trip in a couple months (Paris to Normandy), and I see on the website that I can book in advance a dinner in the Captain's Club. I would appreciate some insight as to what the difference would be between this and the main dining room, and the need to book this in advance.

I've been doing some research for our April trip (Tulips) but maybe someone could answer my questions in one post.

I know that there is no restriction on bringing wine or beer on board so we can buy in each port. And I know that wine is included with dinner. (Per a video I watched it is generic white or red, nothing special). No me tion is made about beer (especially when we are in Belgium) or what - and where you can drink at other times - say before or after dinner. We are not cocktail folks.

Also, I understand there is always coffee available (and the new ships - not the Splendor) have cappuccino machines too!). Do they charge extra for espresso-based drinks? Just trying to be prepared.

Thanks for guidance on how "beverages" are handed.

Steve