Rookie question: how do I recognize a porter on embarkation day?

Bra_BE2014

Forgive my ignorance, but do they wear a umiform? Badge? How do I know I am not giving my belongins to just a random stranger, hahahaha!

So far on MSC, I only ever needed to put my suitcase on a 'waiting' room myself, where all the other bags were queuing.

Thanks in advance!

Priscila

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is a staffed drop-off area for luggage right outside the entrance to each terminal in Barcelona. You really can't miss it, but if you somehow bypass that and find yourself about to enter the terminal building with your large suitcases, I'm sure someone at the door will stop you and point you back in the right direction.

If you take a taxi to the terminal, you can get dropped off basically right in front of the porters. Either roll your bags the rest of the way and hand them off, or call one of the guys over to help you.

Another thread said European ports may not have porters like the US ports do. That poster said they just placed their luggage directly on carts waiting for them.

When we sailed from Barcelona last April there were porters. One of them brought a cart to the taxi to get our luggage.

Ah just remember to have name tags and the ships tags with cabin assignment otherwise your bag will not know where to be carted off to and raise red flags for security !

Maybe not so much in some countries but certain ports are very alert for unattended unlabeled luggage as suspect of terrorist activity.

Gee they took that unattended bag and blew it into itsy bitsy tiny tiny bits of bikini wear - well that's what is left of it ! LOL or not LOL if the bag was yours !

It is my experience having travelled out of the port of Barcelona several times, that the porters are very pro-active at coming to you when you arrive. They see cars, taxis and buses coming in and are fast to get to you and get your luggage loaded onto their trolley. If it is a very busy time you can haul your luggage towards the port building and you will be seen doing that and helped. If you haven't got luggage tags they will have them and will complete them for you. If you have printed your tags and put them on your bag already they will just take your luggage and put it in a cage for the forklift to take to the ship.

As for uniform, they tend to wear worker style clothes and in winter a warm jacket. No special uniform I ever noticed.

Please do not worry about this at all, you will find it very simple when you arrive.

There is a staffed drop-off area for luggage right outside the entrance to each terminal in Barcelona. You really can't miss it, but if you somehow bypass that and find yourself about to enter the terminal building with your large suitcases, I'm sure someone at the door will stop you and point you back in the right direction.

If you take a taxi to the terminal, you can get dropped off basically right in front of the porters. Either roll your bags the rest of the way and hand them off, or call one of the guys over to help you.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is my experience having travelled out of the port of Barcelona several times, that the porters are very pro-active at coming to you when you arrive. They see cars, taxis and buses coming in and are fast to get to you and get your luggage loaded onto their trolley. If it is a very busy time you can haul your luggage towards the port building and you will be seen doing that and helped. If you haven't got luggage tags they will have them and will complete them for you. If you have printed your tags and put them on your bag already they will just take your luggage and put it in a cage for the forklift to take to the ship.

As for uniform, they tend to wear worker style clothes and in winter a warm jacket. No special uniform I ever noticed.

Please do not worry about this at all, you will find it very simple when you arrive.

Thank you! I am going solo for the first time so I am trying to be as prepared as I can, lol.

Damn anxiety :D

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is a little scary how they jump on you as soon as you get out of the taxi and grab your luggage! But you can see them load it onto the big luggage carts so you know they are legit. They just had casual clothes on with hi-vis vests over the top when we were there. Gave them 5 euros for 2 bags but they didn't seem to be expecting it or waiting for a tip. Better safe than sorry though so the bag doesn't end up going for a dip in the ocean...