TK menus - our take

rols

Posting about the TK offerings in the MDR because we're trying a few of them.

Last night was yellowtail Crudo" and "Snake River pork tenderloin".

The Yellowtail Crudo was lovely, but very, very, very small. To her credit, the waitress suggested ordering another starter to go with it. When we eat sashimi we probably eat 10x that amount of fish or more.

The pork tenderloin was bacon-wrapped and not bad. We were warned that it would be cooked pink, but it wasn't really that pink and since the pork was very lean, it came out a little dry. At home I'd have cooked it a few degrees cooler, or in another style to keep more moisture into it.

So good for the yellowtail, although we wanted more, the pork was a great cut but too lean for the cooking method employed.

Rols, sorry your Snake River Pork experience was not up to snuff. If it makes you feel any better mine was so bad I sent it back (first time on Seabourn I have ever sent anything back). Have you decided to give a dinner at the Colonnade a shot? I thought the two we had there were home runs and have gotten me quite excited about trying the TK Grill on the Quest in December. Any most importantly did you finally track down your portion of the Humboldt Fog cheese?

Thank you Chairsin- looking forward to trying it out- had an amazing experience at the French Laundry many years ago but do not have overly inflated expectations about TK aboard the Sojourn. That being said, we are always up to a new dining experience.

We did enjoy some great dining at the Colonnade (Quest a few years ago) when we opted for table service rather than the buffet- hard to beat dining al fresco on the Mediterranean. Counting the days...

Yes, I have also enjoyed dinner at the French Laundry but have yet to get back there to try Ad Hoc. Likewise I have not been to Per Se in New York. As to our MDR TK dishes we only tried a handful because as Techno123 pointed out Jes's dishes were terrific). Some were good, some were so-so and one (see above) was terrible. We never have dinner in the Colonnade so going there for the TK dinners was a big deal for us. Any way I am very glad we did as the dinners were great. Just know that on those disengaged evenings there is only the TK menu with the set menu -- no options. As has been mentioned before each course is brought to your table in one dish for you to portion out and share with your dining partners -- AKA family style.

We don't like family style anything. If we cruise Seabourn can we avoid the TK experience? For us the FL was very good but not the best dining experience we have ever had. We have some better venues in Palm Beach. Also, can we request special orders given advanced notice if they have the ingredients?

Colgal,

In the MDR most nights (except Chef's Dinner) there is an insert in the menu with a TK starter, main course and dessert.

It used to be every other night in the MDR; have they expanded this to almost nightly?

Also, initially 7 menus were rolled out, and the team was supposed to go back to Napa this past spring to get trained on another 7 menus, for a total of 14 menus. Does anyone know if that has happened yet?

Out of all the vegetarian dishes that I've had, based on the initial 7 menus, on both Quest and Odyssey between last October and this past March, I'd rate them: 40% excellent, 30% good, and 30% fair. (Can't comment on meat dishes, as I don't consume animal flesh. :))

Edited by sfvoyage

We don't like family style anything. If we cruise Seabourn can we avoid the TK experience? For us the FL was very good but not the best dining experience we have ever had. We have some better venues in Palm Beach. Also, can we request special orders given advanced notice if they have the ingredients?

The TK menus are not family style unless offered in the Colonnade (which is a set four course menu). The TK dishes in The Restaurant are separate dishes and available a la carte just like the rest of the menu.

You can't special order the TK dishes but as always you can usually special order other things with 24 hours notice.

The TK menus are not family style unless offered in the Colonnade (which is a set four course menu). The TK dishes in The Restaurant are separate dishes and available a la carte just like the rest of the menu.

You can't special order the TK dishes but as always you can usually special order other things with 24 hours notice.

Thank you. We just don't want to be stuck with the TK menus. Can you see the menus for the next day so we can decide if we want to special order. Sorry for the questions but we would be newbies to Seabourn. We have many Crystal cruises under our belt but we have wanted to try Seabourn for years as an alternative. Thank you all for your advice and comments.

Every evening when you return to your suite after dinner your stewardess will have set the next day's dining guide on your bed. From that information you can decide where you want to dine the next evening.

And please, about the words "family style." Many are really getting caught up on this as if it were akin to slopping the hogs. In reality your table,, whether two , four or more, will be brought a lovely platter for each course by your waiter. You can then use the serving implements to serve yourself or others at your table as little or as much as you desire.

And please, about the words "family style." Many are really getting caught up on this as if it were akin to slopping the hogs. In reality your table,, whether two , four or more, will be brought a lovely platter for each course by your waiter. You can then use the serving implements to serve yourself or others at your table as little or as much as you desire.

Perhaps we are in the minority, but the concept still seems better reserved as a memory of family holiday dinners while growing up and not as part of a Seabourn experience.

Perhaps we are in the minority, but the concept still seems better reserved as a memory of family holiday dinners while growing up and not as part of a Seabourn experience.

I couldn't agree more😜

Rols, sorry your Snake River Pork experience was not up to snuff. If it makes you feel any better mine was so bad I sent it back (first time on Seabourn I have ever sent anything back). Have you decided to give a dinner at the Colonnade a shot? I thought the two we had there were home runs and have gotten me quite excited about trying the TK Grill on the Quest in December. Any most importantly did you finally track down your portion of the Humboldt Fog cheese?

Well at least I didn't send it back, actually I don't recall any time I ever sent food back, I figure if I ordered it, or cooked it, I have a duty to eat it. It wasn't the worst, I just felt with such a lovely cut of pork, I'd have prepared it differently.

They had one of the TK colonnades last night, but it was also formal night so we joined a table of wonderful people in the MDR and talked politics for 2 hours. Apart from that, the cheese was drunken goat and not the fabled fog. We're watching out for pork rib night and may try it then. I did find some stilton today, very blue stilton, very very blue stilton, which washed down well with a glass of sauvignon blanc.

Today we're in Rhodes and whilst wandering around the old city I remarked that I wished the ship would do some Greek food. We returned to find that lunch was .. Greek .. and it was absolutely wonderful.

Mrs Rols had the Napa burger yesterday and, upon seeing it, claimed it would be impossible to finish. When I looked up a few minutes later the burger was no more and she was looking very content. It did look rather good, I just wasn't fast enough.

So all is well, Seabourn is as good as ever, the staff are perfect and the food is great. It's a tad hot, but I don't think Seabourn can do much about that.

In agreement with you, Rols and Mrs Rols. The tuna starter is delicious, ditto the Napa burger, which does look far too large when in arrives, but goes down well! When we were on board the 'lump of meat' dish was lamb, not pork, and DH and other people sent it back. It is obviously the sort of dish the SB chefs have not mastered.

The 'family dinner'in the Colonnade is just a couple of evenings a week, or was when we were last on board in the spring. We did not like the one we had, but I believe others are better - something bbqy flavour would probably be good. Even so, sorry but nothing really to write home about, after all the fuss SB made about TK. The other food is generally very good, with enough choices for anyone, IMO. Plus putting a special order 24 hours before for a dish you love - I usually do this once a cruise.

Sorry, I only used the words family style as that is what I have read on many posts here. Did not mean to insult Seabourn or anyone. Perhaps shared items on the menu would be better wording.

Depending on the length our cruises we like to order once or twice a special meal such as Thai or something very simple such as a pasta dish. I assume Seabourn also has always available items on the menu as well.

Suite Travels,

No your words were accurate and not an insult I was just frustrated that people seem to have a misconception of what that means and as a result they pass on what for us was one of the highlights of our recent cruise. As I stated we always dine only in the MDR so going up there for dinner was breaking out of our usual Seabourn routine. The platters for each course are beautifully arranged and presented one at a time and aside from the fact that you take the serving utensils to move a portion to your plate it does not resemble Thanksgiving dinner (at least not in my home). There is nothing unsanitary about it and it does offer of the advantage of allowing you to have as little or as much of each course as you chose. Dessert is already portioned into individual dishes and served to each dinner individually. If it is not your thing don't go for it. All I am saying is don't knock it until you have tried it. The salads were not only beautiful and inventive but delicious, the meats were flavorful, the cheese a nice touch and the desserts quite tasty. Oh, and the best bread we had on the entire cruise was served up there. We were not required to use the stemless wine glasses -- we asked nicely and were given the stemmed one.

Again for those who still seem confused here is TK on Seabourn:

TK Grille -- dedicated TK restaurant with complete TK menu in place of R2 at present only on the Quest. Encore will have the restaurant when she launches in December. The other two ships will undergo the conversion when they next go into dry dock.

MDR - Every Night except Chef's Dinner night there is an insert in the menu with the TK options (one for each course) along with the regular menu selection. You can mix and match as you so chose.

Colonnade -- reservations recommended for the normally two TK only nights per 7 days (one of ours was cancelled when they did not have all of the specific ingredients). Ask the hostess and she can tell you at the beginning or each week which nights and the menu theme (that is, TK BBQ ribs, TK steak etc.). Only the TK food is offered those evenings with a set menu.

As to special orders of pasta etc. talk to the Asst. Maitre'd and ask him/her which nights it might work and they will get back to you to confirm the Chef can prepare your special order. We usually order steak tartare once per cruise -- it is very good but I do miss when they used to prepare it table side. Anyway, as a courtesy avoid special orders on Chef's Dinner night.

IS R2 still around on the Sojourn? We enjoyed a few dinners in that venue while on the Quest a few years ago. The policy was to make one reservation per 7 nights but we found that if we appeared at the door about 8 pm they could often accommodate us. Some of the meals were more memorable than others but overall was very nice. We really enjoyed the MDR as well and they were kind enough to remember that the Grand Marnier soufflé was our favorite dessert.

I couldn't agree more

I must also agree with Silver Sweethearts and SKP946. Last fall on the Odyssey we found the family service worked alright when it was just the two of us. The second time we dined in the Colonnade on a TK night we were a party of six at a large round table. The platter that the main course was served in was very large and quite heavy. The table was too wide to reach and serve oneself from one's seat. Alternatively, passing the platter was unwieldy because of its size and weight. We opted instead to insist that the waiter serve us (which he did somewhat reluctantly) rather than make a big mess of it. We all agreed that family style didn't suit us. On that occasion the food was also not really hot.

Edited by Sunviking

Thank you for your feedback. Love steak tartare. Crystal still does it table side but that is not a big deal to us as long as it is yummy. I am sure we will not starve. Now just to pick the right itinerary and ship.

Having sailed on both Crystal and Seabourn the ability to order special dishes is unsurpassed on Seabourn. I love table side preparation of Steak Diane. If you have some favorite dishes just let them know at least 24 hours in advance (sometimes not needed depending on the order) and they will make it happen.

I highly recommend you do Shopping with the Chef. Without a doubt, every time I participate it is the highlight of the cruise. My favorite places were Sorrento, Corfu and in Salalah, Oman. Have the freshest hand made mozzarella cheese and prosciutto served for lunch after having watched Chef pick it, negotiate the price and purchase it made it even more special.

I also have a standing order for a custom desert delivered every night to my suite so it is waiting for me when get back.

About the time they got rid of the little ships. We had a most wonderful Asst Maitre 'd on one cruise who was serving his first contract on the big ships. He wanted to prepare our tartare tables side but was continually told by his "boss" that it had to be prepared in the kitchen. He responded to this by asking how would it then be possible to make the necessary adjustments to according to the passengers' tastes.They told him if it was not to the passengers' taste to return it to the kitchen where they would make the necessary adjustments there. We kept telling him that much as we enjoyed the table side we were fine with it being made in the kitchen but he was not a happy camper. So when we finally ordered it he asked me to do him a favor. He asked if we would send it back for an adjustment even if it was perfect.