Muscat -What to do in 2 days?

Ecuador

We went on a tour including that included Barkah, where we found a fishmarket that was interesting. We then went to restored fort of Nakhl, which was placed on rocks that have fascinating geological history and great views of date palm plantations. Nearby the fort is a hotspring.

For us, while there was nothing spectacular about the tour, it did offer insights into local culture and scenery, and as such, I would recommend over staying on the boat or in a hotel.

What week days and timings are you in Muscat? There is lots to do. Whilst Oman does not have skyscrapers or a lot of shopping malls or night clubs, it has spectacular scenery and lovely people.

For a bit of musical feel, check out youtube and type Oman is Home to Me in search.

If you are lucky and interested, there will be something on at the spectacular opera house. Tickets are very reasonable and you do not need to buy the most expensive ones for a good view or great acoustics. check their website at rohmuscat.org.*****

For a full day tour, you could go to the town of Nizwa. That's a good 2-hour drive from the port. In Nizwa there is a very traditional farmers market (but that's on EARLY and pretty much over by 10 am). then there is a nice souqu for souvenirs with good prices. The FORT in Nizwa is spectacular. Once inside you can roam at will and climb all the way up to the roof. Its very much Lawrence of Arabia. Entry fee is around $2, if they even bother to collect it at all.

There are also a few cute traditional villages nearby.

Then there at=re the spectacular mountains of Oman.

Whist the roads are good, driving can nevertheless be a bit of a challenge. A 4WD car is recommended. Perhaps a good idea to do the mountains with a guide.

Some of the best (and not fake) beaches in the Gulf region.

The (for tourist visitors) nicest beach is at the ShangriLa resort. They charge a hefty entrance fee for the beach club, but facilities are top notch. If the resort is full, they often do not accept day guests.

Very good for a beach day is also at the Oman Dive Center, quite near the ShangriLa. Entrance fee is around $25 last time I checked.

They have a small and decent (licensed) restaurant and a super sheltered bay for swimming.

The Crowne Plazas beach is not all that nice (in comparison). Better option at that part of town would be the Brand Hyatt. Way nicer stretch of beach and better pool and service.

• 4 weeks later...
Visiting Muscat on an upcoming cruise and have 2 days in port.Will definitely visit the grand mosque but what else would you recommend to do while in port?

I also would recommend the Royal Opera House if you have an overnight there coinciding with a wide range of performances. Also, check out one of these small museums, especially the Bait al Zubair.

https://www.rohmuscat.org.*****/en/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.omantourism.gov.*****/wps/portal/mot/tourism/oman/home/experiences/culture/museums

• 3 weeks later...
We are having a pool/beach day when we are in Muscat, I couldn't really find much else to do there... We are either going to Crowne Plaza or Grand Hyatt, quite cheap we thought for a day!

Hi, what do they charge for a day pass at these hotels?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk