What hotel chain would Seabourn compare to?

dcsam

I dared to ask the question to some folks in Seabourn square. I got a few "motel6" responses but most agreed jw is about right

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can't believe anyone would call Seabourn a Motel 6 now that is laughable. Sailing the Encore later this year after many cruises with Crystal and looking forward to it with anticipation

I can't believe anyone would call Seabourn a Motel 6 now that is laughable. Sailing the Encore later this year after many cruises with Crystal and looking forward to it with anticipation

There were a lot of VERY unhappy cruisers on my cruise - first timers and veterans. I'm not going to give you a litany of their issues but suffice it to say the phrase "never again" was oft repeated

We have booked Antarctica for 2018. We enjoyed the cruise but Seabourn would not be our first choice

Mixed messages for sure - bitter complaint one minute, then gushing praise the next. Maybe it's an accurate reflection of the highs and lows of the cruise, but it's hard to gauge what OP really thinks :confused:

However, I'd rather read all the angles than wade through a non-stop pean of adoration/infomercial from a cheerleader.

Edited by RustyRollock

There seems to be a poster who only complains on certain threads, yet raved about many other aspects of her first cruise on SB - save her suite stewardess - on another - but here complains again, yet she repeatedly tells of having another cruise booked, how ironic.

Yes, that is very odd. Looking at a poll posted on the Crystal board Seabourn and Crystal are running about the same as far as a luxury experience far ahead of SS and Regent, Seadream.

Thanks to the encouragement of Seabourn peeps who have experienced both lines we feel very comfortable booking our Seabourn cruise. I am certain that we will be happy finding a second home on the high seas.

Mixed messages for sure - bitter complaint one minute, then gushing praise the next. Maybe it's an accurate reflection of the highs and lows of the cruise, but it's hard to gauge what OP really thinks :confused:

However, I'd rather read all the angles than wade through a non-stop pean of adoration/infomercial from a cheerleader.

Rusty, your last sentence says it all and very true and you have them on all cruise lines. That being said, I really have not seen too many over the top cheerleaders here like I have seen on other lines.

Thank You

It's a difficult question because we are not comparing apples with apples. My favorite hotels around this level are the Conrads in Hong Kong and Seoul.

Hotels have inherent advantages. Food is "easier" on land without the difficulties at sea - freshness, availability, choice. Accommodation is also easier on land where space is not so costly.

We keep going back to those two hotels because of the food and the accommodation but also the service from the generally excellent staff.

As good as these hotels are, I would put Seabourn ahead on service but not on food or accommodation. However, Seabourn also has something which most hotels can never have - the relationships you form with other guests. In broad terms I'd say Seabourn was similar in standard to a Conrad.

Edited by turtlemichael

The OP's question is certainly thought provoking after disembarkation in Singapore this morning from Sojourn. In the past I would always rate Seabourn as a floating Ritz. After this cruise, sadly, it is not the case.

Disembarked the Sojourn this morning, experienced more disappointments than ever before on Seabourn, and we were certainly not alone.

If you have time, would you kindly write a formal review for CC? I am so sorry you had disappointments, and hopefully you will also fill out the SB online feedback forms so the line can try and improve.

I spent many days at various Motel 6 inns when I was younger and on the road a lot, and would have been delighted to find a single one that would come one tenth as close to SB quality, though at least they usually had in-room coffee :)

I only have been on three SB cruises, Odyssey and Quest. Odyssey last year in the Med was like a Ritz 5/5 on my review. Quest was like a mobile European Hilton, or a Hyatt Regency, 4/5 overall on the CC review. DH and I are going back to the Quest in three months, final payment this week. Hopefully it will be more Ritz-like this time.

Rusty, your last sentence says it all and very true and you have them on all cruise lines. That being said, I really have not seen too many over the top cheerleaders here like I have seen on other lines.

Thank You

Amen to that!

Any cruise line can have an off cruise and I think it's unfair to judge a line by one experience. I have had poor stays at Four Seasons hotels, the Connaught in London, even a Singita property in South Africa. That does not mean I will condemn them and shun them in the future. I look at the overall experiences and judge by those. And, in fact, you simply cannot compare cruise lines to hotels. What's next? Is Seabourn more like AaRolls Royce, a Mercedes, a Lexus or a Honda?

I think my posts were misinterpreted by some. I said for me there were glitches but none of them would prevent ME from sailing Seabourn again. Indeed we have booked Antarctica

But be aware that our cruise was filled with discontent and for many on our cruise it's their last Seabourn cruise

I posted the good bad and the ugly

Mostly good but some bad stuff too. It was not at all the Seabourn I had heard friends raving about. Apparently someone had problems on the sojourn too

Attacking the messenger is childish if you don't like the message

Any cruise line can have an off cruise and I think it's unfair to judge a line by one experience. I have had poor stays at Four Seasons hotels, the Connaught in London, even a Singita property in South Africa. That does not mean I will condemn them and shun them in the future. I look at the overall experiences and judge by those. And, in fact, you simply cannot compare cruise lines to hotels. What's next? Is Seabourn more like AaRolls Royce, a Mercedes, a Lexus or a Honda?

I completely agree! A few years ago I posted about a dreadful experience I had on Seabourn. I was on a 20 day back to back cruise in the Med. The first 10 days were fabulous, typical Seabourn. The second 10 days were completely different. We had a large group on board that completely changed the experience for everyone. I won't go back over those nasty details but suffice to say it was enough for me to never contemplate Seabourn again. But we did, and once again we we treated to the Seabourn we love. So I think I have seen the worst that can happen on a Seabourn ship but it didn't stop me from trying them again and my faith has been restored. Overall Seabourn continues to be the best cruise experience I have ever had (and I have tried almost every cruise line). If I consistently have bad experiences in the future I might change my mind, but for now it is the cruiseline for me.

I agree some groups can destroy your experience and it has happened to us on Crystal and I am sure it happens on other lines as well. We learned our lesson. I now ask our TA if the cruise we want has a large groups onboard. This will make us shy away as well as holiday cruises on any line just too many kids for our liking. It's not the kids that are the problem it is the gross lack of supervision by the parents and lack of control they have over them.

We do salute the good parents that understand and the polite kids that have been brought up well and behave well in a adult environment.

Edited by Suite Travels