Viking Tipping - High pressure??

H2Oregon

Question about Viking pressure to tip from the cruise director.

We returned from our first Viking river cruise on the Astrild in November. It was an excellent cruise and we thoroughly enjoyed the cruise. On our cruise there was no pressure to tip from the cruise director. The only mention of tipping was a brief notice in the daily paper.

My brother in law and his wife were on a Viking cruise in the Spring. It was their first Viking river cruise also. When talking to them about their cruise they said that the cruise director was obnoxious about tipping and mentioned tipping at almost ever opportunity.

Since it was a first Viking river cruise for both of us and we had totally different experiences regarding tipping pressure I was wondering what is the norm for Viking River cruises? Is it left up to the individual cruise director or is there a company standard?

I have been on 3 river cruises (Viking and AMA)

On our last cruise also on the Astrid, tipping wasn't mentioned, not even for the local guides/bus drivers.

On the other 2cruises, tipping was mentioned more for local guides and the crew.

Never felt pressured to tip on our cruises.

I did feel that on our last cruise, few people tipped the guides and bus drivers.

My experience is similar to the two previous responses, in four Viking cruises. Tipping is mentioned in the literature. It is mentioned as part of the disembarkation briefing near the end of the cruise. I don't recall it being urged upon us at other times.

Our earliest cruise, when it was first becoming popular, there was a lot more talk about who to tip, when to tip and general range of % of tip. I think many guests had questions and were unsure, so the CD was quick to remind. But it wasn't high pressure or repetitive. I think it was more "here's the custom if you choose to follow it."

8 cruises on Viking and aside from the information on the 2nd to last night when they go over check out--there's really been no mention of tips.

I do find some people are offended even at the mention of tipping--as if even discussing it is a play for a tip. I find it to be more informational--if you want to tip, here's how to do it and what we'd suggest as a tip amount.

Our experience was like yours, no pressure at all about tipping the crew members. We were informed about tipping the local guides and drivers but very low key and no pressure.

I guess the cruise director on my brother in laws cruise was thinking exception and not the norm.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

To OP, what itinerary did your BIL travel? Our Douro River cruise was a little different as the tips had to be paid in cash as opposed by credit card when we settled our bill. It had something to do with how the Portuguese government taxes tips. If it was a situation like that maybe the cruise director mentioned it to ensure those that wished, could have the opportunity to get cash from an ATM.

Or maybe the cruise before had a large number of non-tippers, and the CD was trying to make up for it.

To OP, what itinerary did your BIL travel? Our Douro River cruise was a little different as the tips had to be paid in cash as opposed by credit card when we settled our bill. It had something to do with how the Portuguese government taxes tips. If it was a situation like that maybe the cruise director mentioned it to ensure those that wished, could have the opportunity to get cash from an ATM.

Or maybe the cruise before had a large number of non-tippers, and the CD was trying to make up for it.

I think it was the Danube Waltz.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Remember that the CD is an independent contractor. If you don't tip, the rest of the crew still get their (meager) salaries -- but the CD gets zip, nada, nothing.

I'll have to take your word for that mate but in the case of Tauck and Scenic the CD's are company employees. Working for tips alone is not a job I can see many taking on.

Working for tips alone is not a job I can see many taking on.

You'd be surprised, outside of the 'all inclusive' lines it is common practice for these people to be unpaid independent contractors and they will compete to get the opportunity to work for 'free'.

If everyone tipped them at the suggested rate they'd be doing extremely well, but of course not everyone does.

It is a tough job and it keeps them away from their families for large amounts of time but they can often earn enough during the cruising season to allow them to stay home and not work at other times.

Some do layer this work on top of other jobs or businesses though...

• 2 weeks later...
My experience is similar to the two previous responses, in four Viking cruises. Tipping is mentioned in the literature. It is mentioned as part of the disembarkation briefing near the end of the cruise. I don't recall it being urged upon us at other times.

This was our experience as well...

I experienced no pressure to tip on either of my two Viking cruises, one of which was the Danube Waltz.

Having never been on a cruise before

I appreciated their guidelines on the amounts and took their suggestions as just that, guidelines.

This was our experience as well...

Unlike our many Norwegian (NCL ocean) cruises, who force you to pay a "Daily Service Charge",

you have already paid much more for a Viking river cruise.

At the end of our river cruise, we were given envelopes to place tips anonymously into a wooden box.

If you want to, you may stiff the crew.:o

But I have found, the staff well worthy.

Unlike our many Norwegian (NCL ocean) cruises, who force you to pay a "Daily Service Charge", you have already paid much more for a Viking river cruise.

At the end of our river cruise, we were given envelopes to place tips anonymously into a wooden box.

If you want to, you may stiff the crew.:o

But I have found, the staff well worthy.

We certainly tipped - I was merely commenting/agreeing that we did not feel any PRESSURE to tip by Viking. I appreciated their guidelines and we actually ended up tipping some people more than the 'recommended amt' due to the high quality of service they provided. Since you quoted me, not sure if you were insinuating that I stiffed the crew. :(

We tipped all the bus drivers and guides. As for the crew on the boat, we prefer to give tips personally to each person individually, so I brought small envelopes with me specifically for tipping, and we handed them to each person on the last day. But yes, you easily leave them in the box.

Edited by CutieKakes

We certainly tipped - I was merely commenting/agreeing that we did not feel any PRESSURE to tip by Viking. I appreciated their guidelines and we actually ended up tipping some people more than the 'recommended amt' due to the high quality of service they provided.

Since you quoted me, not sure if you were insinuating that I stiffed the crew. :(

We tipped all the bus drivers and guides. As for the crew on the boat, we prefer to give tips personally to each person individually, so I brought small envelopes with me specifically for tipping, and we handed them to each person on the last day.

But yes, you easily leave them in the box.

Misunderstandings! :o:D

WE love you all!

We took our first Viking trip on the Duro - Portugal this summer.

Tipping was well hidden away in the brochure and I was told on asking before the cruise that it was voluntary. On the final day did we get the hard sell !! I was also surprised to find that the Cruise Director had a separate envelope. The rates they were expecting were ridiculous.

Tipping on cruises has got totally out of control. What started out as a reward for good service has now changed to subsidising peoples wages. It is the job of Viking to pay people a proper wage, especially a Cruise Director. They are making more than enough money out of these cruises in view of the prices. They get around this by contracting staff employment to third parties, which I regard as a form of modern slavery.

Viking are also very crafty . They make the cruise look longer by putting you in a Hotel at the start for 2 Days. The cost of two days meals with the exception of breakfast therefore falls on you.

However the Cruise itself was very good, I think they were a bit undersold in July so I got a good deal. However the weather was very hot, which is to be expected.

Something to keep in mind if only tipping individuals you have interacted with: a large percentage of the crew are "behind the scenes" but are still working to ensure you have an enjoyable cruise. They benefit from the lump sum of tips for the crew.

Having said that, we sure miss all-inclusive fares regarding tipping, such as Uniworld on most of their itineraries. We are just off the Tosca, and had to figure out tips. (Had a great time in Egypt, by the way).

Something to keep in mind, if only tipping individuals you have interacted with:

a large percentage of the crew are "behind the scenes"

but are still working to ensure you have an enjoyable cruise.

They benefit from the lump sum of tips for the crew.

Where did you get this information?

I thought Viking paid the crew.:eek:

The literature tells you what you're getting when you book cruise extensions, either before or after the cruise. I wouldn't call it crafty. Personally, I enjoy the opportunity to dine in local restaurants. Extension days are often the best part of the trip.

--Dav

Edited by glmschlaglp

The literature tells you what you're getting when you book cruise extensions, either before or after the cruise. I wouldn't call it crafty. Personally, I enjoy the opportunity to dine in local restaurants.

Extension days are often the best part of the trip.

--Dav

I agree!

Note for future travelers...

Read about what you are getting per contract, but Don't try to skimp.

Remember; you are on vacation!

Edited by $hip$hape

Where did you get this information?

I thought Viking paid the crew.:eek:

Yes' the crew is paid. The gratuities are in addition to their salaries, just as they are for dining room staff, for example. This info. is from a Uniworld hotel manager. I would suspect it's the same situation for Viking crew members.

• 1 month later...

And that is why we chose Scenic - all tipping included with no pressure! Coming from New Zealand, we are not used to tipping, and that attitude would have really got under my skin. Don't get me wrong - I will tip for good service, but I certainly wont tip just because some tour director thinks he deserves it! We did tip our lovely cabin attendant, and we gave her our left over currency in cash because she was so lovely and helpful, and would have been paid a heck of a lot less than a tour director.