Just booked #6, Avalon Cote d'Azur to Paris

FuelScience

We've just booked our 6th river cruise. We couldn't resist Avalon's 40% off sale for lots of French sailings. In addition we got $250/person off air fare and 5% discount as former Avalon customers. This will be our first cruise in France! Looking forward to another great cruise on the Poetry II, and hoping for good water levels!

FuelScience

Sounds like you guys got a bargin. When is your cruise as we shall be in Paris from September 18 -24. Doing Spectacular South of France with Paris and Monte Carlo with Scenic on the newly redesigned Sapphire and booked into one of The Royal Owners Suites. Can't wait to get spoiled once again.

Wishing you Smooth Sailings and a Funtastic time filled with Laughter and Fun.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

We're on the April 21 itinerary. Flying into Nice with one night in Monaco before boarding in Arles.

FuelScience

We did this itinerary with Avalon a couple of years ago. We did our own air - and spent a few days in Nice before going over to Monaco to join the cruise.

Monaco was interesting - but really, have no great desire to go back. VERY expensive. The hotel is very centrally located so you can walk pretty much the entire city. We felt we had enough time there. It was fun to walk around and see how "the other half" lives!!

The hotel in Paris is not so central. But, it was not our 1st visit there, so not really an issue for us. As we did our own air, we had to get to the airport on our own and the hotel was convenient for access to airport shuttles.

If you like chocolate, I would suggest walking to the Valrhona Chocolate Store in Tain l'Hermitage. It was about a 10 to 15 minute walk from the where the boat was docked in tournon. LOTS of free samples - and the chocolate options are great for gifting. I am not a huge chocolate fan, but love Valrhona Dark and Dulce de leche.

Fran

FuelScience, we too couldn't resist the great prices that Avalon is offering and just booked 10/2 Burgundy & Provence with London today. We traveled with Avalon this time last year to Vietnam & Cambodia and thoroughly enjoyed that trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The hotel in Paris is not so central. But, it was not our 1st visit there, so not really an issue for us. As we did our own air, we had to get to the airport on our own and the hotel was convenient for access to airport shuttles.

Fran

Fran,

Did you stay at the Pullman Paris Montparnasse? We did Avalon's Paris to Amsterdam cruise last year, and we were at the Hotel du Collectionneur near the Arc de Triomphe. The web site also lists the Westin Paris Vendrome, but I've never heard of any Avalon passengers actually staying there.

FuelScience, we too couldn't resist the great prices that Avalon is offering and just booked 10/2 Burgundy & Provence with London today. We traveled with Avalon this time last year to Vietnam & Cambodia and thoroughly enjoyed that trip.

When we get back I'll try to scan and post the dailies. I really like being able to see them before a trip and get an idea of how many hours one spends in port and when you sail.

When we get back I'll try to scan and post the dailies. I really like being able to see them before a trip and get an idea of how many hours one spends in port and when you sail.

We are cruising with Suspaul. This will be our first trip on Avalon.

Being able to view the dailies would be great. There are a few new cities for us to visit on this trip.

Fran,

Did you stay at the Pullman Paris Montparnasse? We did Avalon's Paris to Amsterdam cruise last year, and we were at the Hotel du Collectionneur near the Arc de Triomphe. The web site also lists the Westin Paris Vendrome, but I've never heard of any Avalon passengers actually staying there.

Yes, we did. We did find some nice restaurants within walking distance of the hotel (turn right as you exit the front door... down the street and turn left as you hit the "T"...) but it was further out than I would have booked on my own.

Fran

Our favorite itinerary so far was the Rhone, with AMA. Loved it so much we did it again with Uniworld. We enjoyed that as well but not as much as AMA as the Catherine could not dock in the smaller towns and we had to keep sailing back to Avignon to dock.

We have also done Bordeaux and while the wine was good and we really enjoyed Bordeaux city, the rest of the ports were not great and there were lots of bus rides.

Next is the Seine with Uniworld in a few months and we are looking forward to Normandy.

We prefer to book our own hotels in Paris as we know the areas we prefer to base in. Last trip we booked an apartment with friends and that was nice.