Viking Explorer Society Benefits 2017 change

MikeyB

Apparently Viking will no longer offer travel credit to "encourage" loyal Viking customers to receive up to $200 pp if they book another cruise with one year or $100 pp within 2 years.

Their society benefits will basically be just a cocktail party.

Is that anyway to encourage loyalty?

Copied from Viking's website two seconds ago.

Viking would like to encourage you to join us again by offering credit on your upcoming travel with Viking Cruises. Whether you choose the rivers or oceans for your next journey, you will receive travel credits according to the amount of time that has elapsed since your last Viking voyage. If you reserve within one year, you receive $200 per passenger in travel credit; if you reserve within two years, you receive $100.

Why are you claiming Viking is changing its policy? I'm not seeing anything that gives any indication of it.

Hi din929,

Please also see page 136 of their River cruise offerings that you likely received with an expiration date of January 31, 2017.

I mentioned your cut and paste in my prior e-mail.

A call to Viking will confirm what I wrote.

You don't need to believe me.

Mikey,

I am reading the river cruise booklet you've referred to and mine says " as part of this loyalty program, you earn credits on future Viking journeys" and refers the reader to their website, which still shows the $200 or $100 credit.

Becki

Hi Becky, (You helped me out about 4 years agao)

What I tried to say is that Viking's current brochure and their website boasts of a loyalty program of a $100/$200 credit.

But last week I booked a river cruise. And they told me that it's not offered anymore.

They gave it to me, explaining that they "were making an exception, because this will be my fourth river cruise in four years. I had to speak to a supervisor to get it.

I hope this explanation is satisfactory.

Yes, Mikey, it is. And I commend you for sticking to your guns. I have no issue with a business changing policies, but in this case, it is quite clear to both new and past passengers that they will receive certain monetary benefits by booking new cruises within a certain time frame. To have this in print both in mailings and on the website and to then refuse to honor the benefit just sets the stage for an antagonistic encounter. I'm glad it turned out well for you, but you certainly should not have had to go up the chain to get what you clearly had earned.

And yes, I do remember you from past conversations. :) Where does your next cruise take you?

Becki

Hi Becki (with an "i"),

This July it will be Lyon and Provence.

When I originally booked the cruise at the beginning of January, I had failed to bring up this discount with the agent. I was very impressed with the agent. He was knowledgeable. A couple of days later, I looked over my past cruise statements and saw that I received the discount. I made the mistake of then calling Viking on a Sunday afternoon. The first agent and then supervisor I spoke to insisted on giving me onboard credit for $400 (this on top of the $300 credit that Viking offers). I said there was no way I could spend that money on a river cruise and besides it's not what I felt I was entitled to. I called again Monday and spoke to another supervisor who completely understood the situation. I brought to his attention the cut and paste that din929 pasted above.

I posted this thread to make others aware. I'm just surprised that no one has wrote in to say that they encountered the same situation.

Regards and happy sailings!

I called Viking today because I was curious about why they'd tamper with such a valuable incentive to book more cruises with them. The agent that I spoke to said that No, they have not cancelled the discount off your invoice on future cruises. What he told me was that if they have certain promotions--i.e., he gave the example of free airfare--that that promotion precludes any other discounts like the Viking Explorer Society discount.

This makes sense to me. I have a certain travel agency that I deal with. Every now and then they get special rates that are hundreds of $$ off the published cruise line rates and when I look at the fine print, it tells me that if I take their discount rate, then I give up the chance to use my loyalty discount. Viking is no different. If they offer a perk worth big money, they disallow the loyalty benefit of $200 or $100 if you book with that promotion.

The perk with normal bookings is still there.

Hi Becki,

Yes, I booked the cruise and I took their offer of $300 OBC.

And yes, the agent I spoke to on Sunday night gave me that story about not being able to combine discounts.

However, as I explained to the agent and a Supervisor on that Sunday , and then another supervisor on Monday- One benefit is a loyalty benefit. I would need to have cruised with Viking in the past 12 or 24 months to get the benefit. The other offer is open to everyone. No prior Viking cruise needed. The Viking website still mentions the loyalty benefit and does not say anywhere it's not combine-able.

So no, it makes no sense to me.

Remember the Viking offer from 2015? They offered you the benefit of being able to cancel your Viking cruise for no reason up to sailing. When that was offered you were still able to take advantage of the loyalty benefit.

The example you gave of free airfare is limited to certain cruise routes or months. The offer of free gratuities/$300 OBC/free beverage package is available for every cruise. And nowhere does it say it's not combine-able.

And I have an agent who independently offers me cash back (based on my expenses). I get it regardless of what the cruise line offers.

----------------------------------------------------------

*Offer VLF:

Offer valid on bookings made from January 12, 2017 to January 15, 2017. Cruise from $2,699 per person based on May 2017 departures of Lyon & Provence on Category F; other months may be higher, please call for details. Prices are in US dollars and for US residents only. Viking all-inclusive air with transfers available. Air does not have to be purchased to get cruise/tour offer. Not combinable with Past Passenger discount and Referral Rewards Program. Additional restrictions may apply. Book and pay in full by January 15, 2017 or at time of booking if departure date is within 90 days. Offer expires January 15, 2017.

-----------------------------------------------------------

It looks like Viking is trying to cut the cost by diminishing explorer society benefits...

The VLF offer was limited to three cruise itineraries during April and May 2017. And to Vikings "credit" they do indicate very clearly that the Explorer Society benefits do not apply.

But they are giving you two rewards. Free air and one of the "Choice" benefits.

My cruise is July 2017. They have nowhere posted any restrictions about combining the two benefits I listed in a previous post.

The Society benefit for taking another cruise within 12 months is $400 ($200pp x2).

For all my fellow cruisers who take yearly cruises on Viking (maybe it's just me), the new "Choice" offer would then mean nothing because they are all less than $400.

VikingCruises- I know you are reading this.

Please comment.

Hi MikeyB,

I agree seems Viking is really cutting into past cruisers discount. We just finished our 7th cruise and we're looking at an 8th, but when cannot use explorer credit what is the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi Becki,

Thank god it's not just me.

My wife just made me a pomegranate martini and I'm looking at todays mail-

Guess what? Three mailings from Viking. They must love me, as I love them. Actually, I don't like their reservations staff. I love the Longboat staff. Never have been disappointed on a cruise. But I have to be honest and say I never have found the front office staff to be honest.

So, the first mailing I received was for the Grand European Tour 2017, Budapest to Amsterdam. Looking at the small print section and it says the price does include the Viking Explorer Society Travel credits. Also says additional restrictions may apply. Oh my, what could that mean?

Mailing number 2 was for the 2018 River cruises in Europe, Russia, SE Asia and Eqypt. Source code J01L3D. Sounds like it applies to everywhere but China. Get up to free air. Offer code EBD and the small print does say it's not combine-able with Viking Explorer Society Travel credits. So 2018 looks clear.

And....wait for it.....I left the best for last.... (I will send this script to Hollywood or Washington to see if I can get on a reality tv show)...

The 34 page brochure entitled 2017 River cruises Rhine, Main and Danube says the following-

Enjoy 2 for 1 cruise fares plus air from $295 when you book by January 31, 2017, and for a limited time, prices include Viking Explorer Society Travel Credits. Plus take your choice of our free Silver Spirits beverage package or $300 in shipboard credit per stateroom or prepaid onboard gratuities.

So it appears you can combine, unless you cannot. Clear?

I can't offer any clarification, just a data point-- we booked our second Viking River Cruise last week (for November 2017) and were able to take advantage of the "2-for-1" pricing, extra perk, and VES discount. We booked via a TA, so perhaps she pushed for us to get sale pricing + VES.

Mikey,

Are you an attorney? Sure are good at reading the fine print! :D

They do have some great offers out there. We are just back from a Viking Oceans cruise and have a Viking river cruise on the Elbe coming up in Oct. Nothing booked yet for '18.

Becki

They do have some great offers. And it pays not to book early.

They just make the simple process of getting everything a reasonable person (that's me) thinks they are entitled to, complicated. Simple example- The banner that I see on this page as I write this. It says "2-For-1 Cruise Plus Save on Air".

2 for 1 cruise. Are you kidding me? When will they stop promoting themselves that way?

That is not a "benefit". That is a "given".

We are aware that there is some confusion about the status of the Viking Explorer Society travel credit benefit. Please allow us to explain the current status, and assist you with your booking needs.

The Viking Explorer Society Travel Credit is still a benefit to loyal Viking guests. Some of the special promotions available in January and February of 2017 are not combinable with the Viking Explorer Society travel credit, as these specific promotions already include the value of the travel credit in the cruise price. As you may know, the Viking Explorer Society also includes a number of additional benefits that are still exclusively available to members.

We understand that this change in promotion restrictions has caused some confusion and we hope that this provides some clarity for our valued Explorer Society members. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email us at Tellus@vikingcruises.com.

We value our loyal guests who continue to travel with us time and time again, and look forward to hosting you on your next Viking journey in the months to come!

We are aware that there is some confusion about the status of the Viking Explorer Society travel credit benefit. Please allow us to explain the current status, and assist you with your booking needs.

The Viking Explorer Society Travel Credit is still a benefit to loyal Viking guests. Some of the special promotions available in January and February of 2017 are not combinable with the Viking Explorer Society travel credit, as these specific promotions already include the value of the travel credit in the cruise price. As you may know, the Viking Explorer Society also includes a number of additional benefits that are still exclusively available to members.

We understand that this change in promotion restrictions has caused some confusion and we hope that this provides some clarity for our valued Explorer Society members. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to email us at Tellus@vikingcruises.com.

We value our loyal guests who continue to travel with us time and time again, and look forward to hosting you on your next Viking journey in the months to come!

From my understanding then, someone who has not sailed before with Viking, and is taking advantage of one of these promotions NOT combinable with past passenger loyalty benefits - IS getting the same special savings that a Viking past passenger is. As you say, the the past passenger loyalty credit IS BUILT INTO the promotion. Therefore, someone new to Viking, booking on such a program, is getting the same benefit as a past passenger!

In all my cruising with various ocean cruise lines, and one other river cruise line besides Viking, I have NEVER had my past loyalty discount compromised by a promotion. Yes, one promotion may supercede another, you cannot have your cake and eat it too - but as a past guest on a cruiseline - I have always had my discount applied no matter what the promotion/program/value savings.

CJ-

Your understanding appears correct.

However, Viking cruises wrote the following-

"As you may know, the Viking Explorer Society also includes a number of additional benefits that are still exclusively available to members."

As far as I know (someone please correct me if I stray), the benefits according to my Society Membership Benefits brochure are the following-

Silver Tier (After one trip)

*Past Guest Travel Credit (This appears to be on life support)

*Members-only on board cocktail party (This appears to be a beverage and only a beverage of Vikings choosing)

*Exclusive Explorer Society phone number (So exclusive, I was never given this number or would know what to do with it)

Premier Tier (After 3 trips)

*Complimentary Viking Air Plus services

With the 4th Viking cruise I booked last week, I was told

*no past travel credit

*the complimentary Viking air service is now $50, no exceptions

Conclusion-

The number of exclusive benefits available to Explorer members is now

*A glass of white or red wine

*A phone number that I haven't explored enough to find.