Viking Budapest walking tour

zitsky

It looks to me like the Budapest walking tour is morning *and* afternoon on the day before the trip ends. I've never been to Budapest and might not go ahead soon. Would you recommend doing the all day walking tour? I was debating whether to go to the optional bath/hot springs activity.

Are you referring to the "Do as the Locals Do" tour? I took it and it was wonderful. It didn't last all day, at least when I took it back in 2015. We had a small group and the local tour guide who had lived her entire life in Budapest walked us around and showed us how to use the street car and subway system. She also provided insights into everyday family life. I highly recommend it. In fact, I'll be going on another Uniworld cruise this coming September, this time with a friend who's never been. Our cruise includes Budapest, and I'm going to recommend we do this tour even though I've done it before.

Roz

It looks to me like the Budapest walking tour is morning *and* afternoon on the day before the trip ends. I've never been to Budapest and might not go ahead soon. Would you recommend doing the all day walking tour? I was debating whether to go to the optional bath/hot springs activity.

It is not an all day tour. We did this in Dec and it was great. It started around 8:30 and we walked over the Chain Bridge to the Buda side, rode the funicular (Viking paid for the tickets) to the top of the Buda side, walked to the church and had a tour of the church. Then we took the bus (again, Viking paid for the tickets) down to town on the Pest side. We had a slow walk to the Great Market Hall where we had free to shop, eat a bite or just wander for about an hour. Then we gathered again, walked to the tram and rode back to the boat (Viking bought tram tickets for us). They brought us back around lunch time.

This is a great tour and we saw a lot. My husband and I wanted to return to

the market so after lunch we took the tram back, shopped and then walked back through the pedestrian zone to the boat. The Christmas Markets were in full swing so we spent quite a bit of time there before returning to the boat.

IMHO if this is your first time just skip the baths and enjoy Budapest.

Are you referring to the "Do as the Locals Do" tour? I took it and it was wonderful. It didn't last all day, at least when I took it back in 2015. We had a small group and the local tour guide who had lived her entire life in Budapest walked us around and showed us how to use the street car and subway system. She also provided insights into everyday family life. I highly recommend it. In fact, I'll be going on another Uniworld cruise this coming September, this time with a friend who's never been. Our cruise includes Budapest, and I'm going to recommend we do this tour even though I've done it before.

Roz

Thanks. My question was specific to Viking, sounds like you were on Uniworld. But I appreciate the feedback.

H2Otstr, thanks for the feedback! Yes I'd like to see as much of Budapest as I can!

Edited by zitsky

Our cruise ended in Budapest last spring and as I recall (it is all a little fuzzy) we did the included tour which involved more bus than walking. It was a morning trip that got us back to the ship by lunchtime and we had a free afternoon.

I believe we boarded buses, did drivebys of Parliment and other sights on the way out to the Monument Plaza where we got off the bus and walked maybe a block where the guide told us all about the monuments. We then reboarded the buses and headed back through town across the Danube, and up the hill. We offloaded and did a walking tour through the old part of town, heard about the catherdral from outside and then were on our own inside for a period. Afterwards, the guide directed us back to the buses but if folks wanted to get back to the ship on their own, they could and many did.

Regarding the spa experience-I highly recommend it - the Gelert is beautiful, easy to do on your own and walkable or tramable from where we docked at Chain Bridge.

Have a great time - Budapest is now on my list of favorite places.

Clay Clayton, the tour that you took is the standard tour that Viking provides. The Budapest Walking Tour that zitsky was asking about is a different tour. Most first timers to Budapest usually take the bus tour, but the walking tour was so great.

Of course, if one has mobility issues the bus tour would be the better one to take. I think we walked about 2.5 to 3 miles total.

My information is now 3 years old BUT for what it is worth. We were on the Viking Lif in September.........on the day of embarkation there was a short walking tour, these tours were offered frequently most of the day....... it was primarily an orientation tour with some interesting facts and history. It was a nice introduction to the city and what was close around the ship. As I remember, it was quite short about 1 hour. The "included" tour was the next day.....mostly on the bus with various stop for pictures and in depth discussion and walking around the Fisherman Bastion area. This took 3-4 hours as I remember.

Budapest is a wonderful city if you have an opportunity please spend extra days!!!

We had three and thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon of our arrival at the Szecheny Baths.......great way to ward off jet lag with little effort! But if you have limited time I would not use precious tour time to experience these.

It is not an all day tour. We did this in Dec and it was great. It started around 8:30 and we walked over the Chain Bridge to the Buda side, rode the funicular (Viking paid for the tickets) to the top of the Buda side, walked to the church and had a tour of the church. Then we took the bus (again, Viking paid for the tickets) down to town on the Pest side. We had a slow walk to the Great Market Hall where we had free to shop, eat a bite or just wander for about an hour. Then we gathered again, walked to the tram and rode back to the boat (Viking bought tram tickets for us). They brought us back around lunch time.

This is a great tour and we saw a lot. My husband and I wanted to return to

the market so after lunch we took the tram back, shopped and then walked back through the pedestrian zone to the boat. The Christmas Markets were in full swing so we spent quite a bit of time there before returning to the boat.

Now I'm very sad that I had to miss this tour on our cruise last month, it sounds wonderful. I was really looking forward to it.