Escape: what are you or have you done at each port?

claireruth

We're sailing on the Escape on 3/11 and are trying to decide what to do at each stop. I'm stressing out some that we've waited too long to figure this out! We think at Tortola we'll go to the Baths on our own as it sounds easy enough to do, but we aren't sure about St. Thomas and Nassau. It will be my husband, myself, and our two boys, ages 8 and 11. We definitely want to do some snorkeling but don't know if it's worth doing an excursion at one of those two stops or just finding a beach and going on our own. I figured I'd ask what other people have done and maybe get some ideas of what we want to do. TIA!

ETA: It looks like there will be two other ships in port at St. Thomas and six at Nassau.

Edited by claireruth

While I have not done it from this ship, on another cruise that stopped in St. Thomas, we went to Coki Beach and we snorkeled there and it was great. The beach itself is night and a decent size and I think it is one of the nicer beaches on the island that is each to get to. We just took a taxi from the port with our snorkel gear in hand. There are restaurants, facilities and chair/umbrella rentals as well and reasonable priced. It was one of the best days on that cruise. We found really good fish on the left and right side of the beach away from the people (obviously).

Enjoy whatever you do!

St. Thomas:

We enjoyed the Captain Nautica high speed snorkeling excursion (if it's still offered). We left ship pier at about 8 am in a fast boat that seated only 12, so a small group. It took us to 2 locations to snorkel. One location you swim with a gazillion sea turtles and the other has a shipwreck. Your kids would think both were cool. Neither are very good snorkeling as far as coral goes, but Eastern Caribbean is never going to be as good as Western for that. The best thing about this excursion is that we were back to the ship well before noon, in order to eat lunch on board. We then ventured back out and took a taxi for about $3 into town. (You can also walk it.) There are lots of shops and cultural things there. Another option (plenty of time to do both) is to take the skyride up to Paradise Point. This is right across the street from the port, so you'd just walk over to it. You can buy tickets on the ship or from the ticket window at the bottom of the ride.

Edited by LrgPizza

Don't stress, you still have plenty of time. Don't have kids so can't comment about kid friendliness, but we are planning on doing the baths on our own when we stop at Tortola next week also. At st Thomas we took a catamaran to St. John for snorkeling. Nassau we just got off the ship and walked around and we didn't feel safe at all, and the straw market was awful. Maybe check out Atlantis for Nassau day, I've heard their beaches aren't very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're sailing on the Escape on 3/11 and are trying to decide what to do at each stop. I'm stressing out some that we've waited too long to figure this out! We think at Tortola we'll go to the Baths on our own as it sounds easy enough to do, but we aren't sure about St. Thomas and Nassau. It will be my husband, myself, and our two boys, ages 8 and 11. We definitely want to do some snorkeling but don't know if it's worth doing an excursion at one of those two stops or just finding a beach and going on our own. I figured I'd ask what other people have done and maybe get some ideas of what we want to do. TIA!

ETA: It looks like there will be two other ships in port at St. Thomas and six at Nassau.

First of all, you have not waited to long, so don't stress about it.

The Baths on your own at Tortola is definitely a good choice. However, you mentioned snorkeling, and I have to tell you that I did some of the most amazing snorkeling ever from Tortola...on a snorkel excursion to "Norman Island." The Caves at Norman Island have beautiful reefs that are full of marine life. You can snorkel into the caves themselves, which were once reputed to be storage places for pirate treasure. The second half of that excursion gives you some private beach time on the island reputedly the model for RL Stevenson's "Treasure Island." There's a shallow beach reef there that's also got good snorkeling.

On St. Thomas, we've mostly done beaches. Meagan's is the top of everyone's list, but we prefer the other private park beach...I'll try to remember the name. Coki beach we found way too crowded for our liking although there is some so-so snorkeling off the beach there.

This time around, we're planning to check out St. John's, which you can easily do either on your own or via excursions. The beaches on St. John's are supposed to be amazing, as it's all mostly protected National Park.

Nassau is always problematical for us. It's kind of like the Grand Central Station of the Caribbean...you always stop there. Kids love the Atlantis resort, but it's expensive to get into. Last time through I took a snorkel excursion that went out to Rose Island...Having just snorkeled Norman Island off Tortola I was less than impressed with this one, but if it's your only snorkel experience on the cruise you wouldn't be disappointed.

Edited by VideoTech

Don't stress, you still have plenty of time. Don't have kids so can't comment about kid friendliness, but we are planning on doing the baths on our own when we stop at Tortola next week also. At st Thomas we took a catamaran to St. John for snorkeling. Nassau we just got off the ship and walked around and we didn't feel safe at all, and the straw market was awful. Maybe check out Atlantis for Nassau day, I've heard their beaches aren't very nice.

Sad to hear you didn't feel safe at all walking around in Nassau. That's never been our experience...the place is crowded with tourists and yes, some of the sellers can be over eager, but it's a lot less so than Cozumel, IMO. But we've never felt unsafe there.

I'll be on the March 11th sailing with my husband and two boys (9 and 12), as well. We haven't decided what to do in the various ports yet, but I appreciate all of the suggestions. The snorkeling on Norman Island sounds great - we might give that a shot. In St. Thomas, we might go to Coki beach - sounds like the boys would have fun there.

Just off her last month. St. T went to Emerald Beach. Surf was easy. Kids looked like they were having fun.

Tortola, we went to Garden Cay beach. Did get crowded.

Nassau-missed it due to propulsion problems. :eek::cool::rolleyes::mad:

We've done the Turtle Cove snorkeling both times we've been in St. Thomas...DH enjoyed it so much he wanted to do it again with his underwater camera. You actually snorkel in an area where the sea turtles feed on sea grass. They immerse, feed, and come up for air every few minutes. It's awesome!

We did the baths on an excursion and an island tour in N. That was the hard one to decide what to do.

I'll be going with my kids 14 and 11 over the president's week break.

We charted a private boat with Caribbean Blue when we are at St Thomas.

We will go to St John. Check out Cinnamon Bay Beach. Its a Natl park.

On a previous cruise we went on the FURY. Its a sail charter with other guests.

We went snorkeling with turtles and everyone had a great time. Check out his reviews.

The FURY also leaves from Havensight which is where the ESCAPE docks.

As for Nassau I think the most popular activity is to stay on the ship.

I'm going to go to Cabbage beach and rent some Jet Skis.

On a previous visit I went the Hilton Colonial. The sell day passes.

They have a nice pool and a small beach.

You get a credit for food/drink and it's a short walk from the cruise ships.

Hi. Last April we were on the Escape - great ship, you will have a blast!

In St Thomas we did the NCL excursion Castaway Girl. Pretty crowded catamaran but sitting up on the front made it fun. The boat was waiting right there when we got off the ship and the snorkeling site was cool.

In Tortola we used Patouche Charters and took a boat to the baths and then did a second snorkeling site inside caves. I loved the cave snorkeling. The Baths was cool but seeing it once was enough for me. Just so many people going through it.

In Nassau we just got off the ship and did a little shopping and had lunch. We were back on the ship right after lunch and enjoyed it for the rest of the afternoon.

Have a great cruise!!

St. Thomas - Done Coki Beach. Loved it. I'm doing it again with the family. Hubby and son are heading over to Coral World to do snuba with VI Snuba.

BVI - Did excursion with RCCL to the baths. That's a must do if you have never been. This go around the son is doing the dolphin thing while we watch and I haven't figured out what else. Not much time after his dolphin excursion.

Nassau - I've done straw market ( hate being yelled at). Melia Resort. British Colonial Hilton. This time I'm pretty sure we're just going to walk down to Junkanoo beach to JYAH.

We sailed ESCAPE in Dec 2015. I did my research and booked 6 of us on the Nightwind Sailboat Excursion straight from their website. I cannot rave enough about how wonderful this trip was! This sailor & wife have been in business for 20 years on the island. It is a 5 or 6 hour day of sailing on a 55' sailboat with stops for snorkeling, time at St. Johns island beach, a full carribean luncheon served and an open bar. A little bit pricey ($125 per person) Snorkeling equipment included, and only 15 people total on the boat, so not crowded like so many shipboard excursions! Great areas for snorkeling, beautiful boat, we saw sea turtles, and tons of amazing fish! It's a good day and we were back in time to walk around and shop near the ship for 90 minutes before the ship left St. Thomas. Read their reviews on Trip Advisor So many happy passengers sharing my sentiments! A true island experience, and great for your kids too!

• 3 weeks later...
Is this an NCL excursion? Or did you book on your own? Also, how long was it?

Thanks!

Fury is an independent excursion, the captain is the owner. Book thru their website. Pay balance in cash onboard. I believe it's about 4 hours total.

IMPORTANT NOTE: ST THOMAS IS IN THE ATLANTIC TIME ZONE. IT'S AN HOUR AHEAD OF US EASTERN TIME ZONE. KEEP THIS IN MIND WHEN MAKING PLANS, ESPECIALLY RELATED TO SHIP TIME.