5 Best Cities for Pre- and Post-Cruise Stays on the Rhine River

LauraS

Before we get another geography lesson/nit-picky reply ;) please be aware that most of these cities are not themselves located on the Rhine River -- but they are all great cities to add at the beginning or end of a Rhine River cruise :)

Hello hostjazzbeau,

quite right about the geography, Cologne being the only on the river Rhine. Lake Como I must utter though, seems an odd choice. Interesting, but "adrenaline junkies" on a river cruise?! For small town charm I might offer other places as a river cruise company. Would I do a four hour drive to get to a post-cruise destination crossing the whole of Switzerland? I do not know. But then river cruise port Nuremberg to Prague is not dissimilar in being a "distant" post-cruise stay. Of the two, Lake Comco and Prague I regard the latter, though, as much more appealing. Why not have Trier as a pre- or post-cruise stay, great for getting to Luxembourg, and even some regions of France, Reims with its real Champagne?

So, I agree with the first four on the list, but the fifth?

notamermaid

I agree it stretches the envelope of what would leap to mind for the end of a Rhine cruise, but Lucerne is on a lake so maybe Como isn't so crazy. We are doing the Italian Lakes in May on a land-based hiking tour, so I get the adrenaline-junky part -- but most people think of the Lake Como as a scenic and laid-back destination that would go with the vibe of a river cruise.