MSC Divina Dress code

NoStrings1129

I'm not sure if this has been asked/answered before but I figured I'd try anyway.

We have a family cruise booked with Divina for July and its our first time on MSC. We generally cruise RCI but it seems like MSC is a little fancier than what we're used to. I was just wondering about the dress code for the main dining rooms. I saw on their website that they have 2 formal nights (our cruise is 7 nights) but the other nights are "casual" but jeans will be turned away from main dining...

My bf is not a fan of dressing up (he always "forgets" to pack formal clothes whenever we cruise) so if he happens to wear nice jeans and a button up on normal days or even formal night, will he really be turned away?

There will be about 35 of us going so I'd like to at least do 1 formal night but if the dress code is enforced more than other cruises, I'm not sure. (Yes I know, we can go and get him something cheap or rent something, that's not what I'm asking about)

Any information would be much appreciated.

I just got off the Divina in Nov. My husband wore dress jeans and a button down top to dinner. The food in the dinning room was ok but the buffet pizza was excellent. If you can get past all the rude foreign cruisers the Divina was amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm not sure if this has been asked/answered before but I figured I'd try anyway.

We have a family cruise booked with Divina for July and its our first time on MSC. We generally cruise RCI but it seems like MSC is a little fancier than what we're used to. I was just wondering about the dress code for the main dining rooms. I saw on their website that they have 2 formal nights (our cruise is 7 nights) but the other nights are "casual" but jeans will be turned away from main dining...

My bf is not a fan of dressing up (he always "forgets" to pack formal clothes whenever we cruise) so if he happens to wear nice jeans and a button up on normal days or even formal night, will he really be turned away?

There will be about 35 of us going so I'd like to at least do 1 formal night but if the dress code is enforced more than other cruises, I'm not sure. (Yes I know, we can go and get him something cheap or rent something, that's not what I'm asking about)

Any information would be much appreciated.

Our first MSC cruise was over New Years and we really enjoyed it. As far as the dress code for formal nights go, it's a recommendation, not a must do. We don't mind dressing up, however, on formal nights I saw some who were still smart casual. I know it says no jeans but think, like most other lines, as long as they're not in tatters, they'll be fine. I wore a nice top and dress pants, DH wore a nice shirt and casual pants (not jeans but not dress pants either) and that was fine too. For young kids, the dress code is more relaxed.

Are you planning on dining together as a group? :eek: if so, you'll want to have a chat with the Maitre D to make some arrangements.

BTW, the rude passengers I heard/saw on the cruise were not just "foreigners". Being a foreigner myself, I can understand how upsetting that would be.

Just relax and enjoy your surroundings on the ship, it really is beautiful.

I just got off the Divina in Nov. My husband wore dress jeans and a button down top to dinner. The food in the dinning room was ok but the buffet pizza was excellent. If you can get past all the rude foreign cruisers the Divina was amazing.

Is there special place to meet those "rude" foreign cruisers?:confused: With my luck I only stuck with rude Florida retirement cruisers who will run over you no problem and who think the ship belong to them.

BTW, the rude passengers I heard/saw on the cruise were not just "foreigners". Being a foreigner myself, I can understand how upsetting that would be.

AR2C,

Are we Canucks really classified as "foreigners"? I think we're honorary Americans for the most part.

:D

I guess I've been fortunate. The "foreign" (non-North American) guests I've met on cruise ships have been wonderful. The only times they've been less than friendly is when there are language barriers, which is not a politeness issue.

Happy Cruising!

Let me rephrase this. I have never been on a cruise line that is dedicated to non English speaking travelers. Their main clientele is Europeans. I have been to Europe several times and I loved it. However their hospitality is much different than Americans. No one at our table in the dinning room spoke English.

On our cruise over the new year holiday we found the staff to be so wonderful. Hardworking, wanting to please, not objecting to anything really.

As you can imagine, during the holidays, there were many children, some very young, some teens and some young adults and as far as we were concerned all of them were polite and pleasant and having a great time. (at least from what we could see)

Very, very pleasant experience throughout our whole stay and no matter where we were on the ship.... I don't think we've ever had a more congenial staff/crew including officers on any cruise.

So, for teens/young adults we had both yes and no to the question: shorts and collared shirt permissible in MDR? Anyone know for sure? My son has only gym shorts and track pants, so if I am buying him new clothes, should I be purchasing shorts or slacks?

I too was fooled into thinking MSC would be fancier. Boy, was I wrong. I came to my dinner table on formal night wearing a suit only to see one man in a Hawaiian shirt and two college age boys in tee shirts. Not that I regret wearing the suit.The photos the ship's photographers took came out great.

Edited by cruise pup

If you're concerned about what to wear, wear a nice collared shirt with casual long pants for men, ladies, a nice top with capri or long pants is fine too. The jeans thing, I'm not sure about since we didn't have anyone around us wearing jeans but that doesn't mean they weren't worn by some.

What i would say is that MSC is anxious to please within limits. I have a feeling that if you abuse their lax attitude, in other words try wearing a bathingsuit or similar to dinner, they may balk, otherwise, they turn the other way.

Enjoy your cruise,

Do you think it's more common for those in the YC to dress up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having been in the YC on Divina ten times, it is definitely more common for those in the YC to dress up for both formal nights and non formal nights. That's one of the things I love about being in the Yacht Club...it almost seems to hearken back to the good old days of cruising where pretty much everyone dressed up for dinner. (think 1980's) And yes, my 3 year old wears a suit or tux on formal nights.

So, for teens/young adults we had both yes and no to the question: shorts and collared shirt permissible in MDR? Anyone know for sure? My son has only gym shorts and track pants, so if I am buying him new clothes, should I be purchasing shorts or slacks?

My boys are 8 and 11. I am taking nice shorts and golf shirts for the MDR dining room for non-formal nights and khakis and button downs on formal nights. I think the gym shorts and track pants are fine for the buffet.

On my previous cruises (even Carnival), I dressed "smart casual" for dinner based on the picture provided (including a tie). I'm booked for my first MSC cruise and I don't think I'll be going "formal" (suit/jacket) for anything unless it is required.

Would slacks/dress pants, shirt & tie be "good enough" for everywhere including the Yacht Club?

Last night was gala night and I would say 90% if the passengers were dressed up. Lots of cocktail and evening dresses for the ladies and the men in suits, jackets and trousers or tuxedos. Lots of children dressed up also.

Boys were wearing shorts.

The few people who did not dress up actually looked out of place.

The hostess at the door tried to call to one man who turned up in shorts but he basically ignores her!