overnights

trish1c

This will be my 1st cruise where the ship stays overnight anywhere.

Do some poor crew members have to stay up all night to work the embarkation deck / scanner/ swipe your card? If we're out & don't get back until 2 - 3 a.m. we can get on board? Similarly if we decide we want to be up & out in time to drive somewhere in the dark to watch sunrise, will there be crew to let us disembark?

I feel kind of bad for whoever gets those overnight shifts.

Do some poor crew members have to stay up all night to work the embarkation deck / scanner/ swipe your card? If we're out & don't get back until 2 - 3 a.m. we can get on board? Similarly if we decide we want to be up & out in time to drive somewhere in the dark to watch sunrise, will there be crew to let us disembark?

If you are on an overnight port call you can come and go whenever you want. No need to feel bad for the crew, they work shifts and get paid for it.

Do some poor crew members have to stay up all night to work the embarkation deck / scanner/ swipe your card? (Yes & no) If we're out & don't get back until 2 - 3 a.m. we can get on board? (Yes) Similarly if we decide we want to be up & out in time to drive somewhere in the dark to watch sunrise, will there be crew to let us disembark? (Yes)

The crew works in shifts. The person who checks you out at 9pm is not likely to be the same person that checks you in at 6am.

Edited by Cuizer2

Related question: if your ship is overnighting at your embarkation port, what time do you need to check in? Or can that wait until whenever you are ready to board? My port is Rio and my plan is to sightsee all day on day one and embark after dinner in the city but can't seem to verify if that's a sound plan!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do some poor crew members have to stay up all night to work the embarkation deck / scanner/ swipe your card? If we're out & don't get back until 2 - 3 a.m. we can get on board? Similarly if we decide we want to be up & out in time to drive somewhere in the dark to watch sunrise, will there be crew to let us disembark.

Don't worry about them. A crew will let you out, or in.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Related question: if your ship is overnighting at your embarkation port, what time do you need to check in? Or can that wait until whenever you are ready to board? My port is Rio and my plan is to sightsee all day on day one and embark after dinner in the city but can't seem to verify if that's a sound plan!

As check-in is not done by NCL staff but Port Authority hired staff then I would not expect to be able to check-in outside 'normal' working hours.

If I were wanting to do that I would check-in and then sightsee then you can board at any time.

As check-in is not done by NCL staff but Port Authority hired staff then I would not expect to be able to check-in outside 'normal' working hours.

If I were wanting to do that I would check-in and then sightsee then you can board at any time.

You are just guessing about the "normal" working hours ? As long as we are guessing I'll guess that the hours will be longer than normal.

Thank you. I think I found the answer on my roll call: port check in up until 6 pm and then check in on board up until 11 pm. That should work!

Thank you. I think I found the answer on my roll call: port check in up until 6 pm and then check in on board up until 11 pm. That should work!

What if you arrive at 5:59pm but don't make it to the counter until 6:01pm?

What if you arrive at 5:59pm but don't make it to the counter until 6:01pm?

I guess I'd hope you weren't the guy in front of me slowing me down by asking a bunch of questions you could have asked here on cruise critic! Otherwise I suppose I'd just check in on board. I'd have another 4 hours to figure it out.

Do some poor crew members have to stay up all night to work the embarkation deck / scanner/ swipe your card?

Those "poor crew members" are security and would be working night shifts regardless of the ship being in port or not.

As others have said, especially in hospitality industry it is completely normal to work shifts and it happens everywhere.

What if you arrive at 5:59fpm but don't make it to the counter until 6:01pm?

Check in means through the lines & on board. In the US that is a DHS requirement & the cruise line doesn't have a lot of wiggle room. Don't cut it that close because just doing the paperwork takes a few minutes, at least more than 2.

There are plenty of oddballs out there like me who actually enjoy a night shift :) But as mentioned previously, in or out of port there are always people working overnight. Cleaning, prepping food, staffing anything that is 24 hours, room service, etc.

Besides I bet it's nice to have a shift where it's so quiet because most people are sleeping. I've always enjoyed wandering the ship late at night for that very reason.