Wrap around walking decks?

LakeErieLive

We love those walking decks that go all the way around a ship---usually on a promenade deck. We are used to them on Princess ships. Our last two cruises on the Carnival Liberty and Carnival Glory did not have those decks---instead you got to walk on the top deck out in the sun and wind going around a wee little area. We are deciding between the Grand Princess or the HAL Noordam to go to the southern caribbearn in January out of Ft. Lauderdale. If the Noordam does not have a walking deck, that may tip the scales to the Grand Princess. Are those decks on HAL ships??

We love those walking decks that go all the way around a ship---usually on a promenade deck. We are used to them on Princess ships. Our last two cruises on the Carnival Liberty and Carnival Glory did not have those decks---instead you got to walk on the top deck out in the sun and wind going around a wee little area. We are deciding between the Grand Princess or the HAL Noordam to go to the southern caribbearn in January out of Ft. Lauderdale. If the Noordam does not have a walking deck, that may tip the scales to the Grand Princess. Are those decks on HAL ships??

Yes!! The HAL ships all have a wonderful promenade deck that's perfect for afternoon walks!!

That's one of the things that I love about HAL is the promenade deck with the lounge chairs and wooden benches!!! Nothing is better than walking along the deck on a sea day and then relaxing in a lounge chair!!

By all means, pick the Noordam!!

Yes!! The HAL ships all have a wonderful promenade deck that's perfect for afternoon walks!!

That's one of the things that I love about HAL is the promenade deck with the lounge chairs and wooden benches!!! Nothing is better than walking along the deck on a sea day and then relaxing in a lounge chair!!

By all means, pick the Noordam!!

Not Only that the Deck is Teak all the way round. You get to walk on wood much nicer walking surface than others. My morning routine is to get up, throw on Sweats for Alaska Cruise, or Shorts for warmer climate, my walking shoes, and go walk 2 miles 8 times round usually. Then proceed to the lido grab a light breakfast. Toast with peanut butter, or sausage or Bacon and a coffee. Very light lol. Grab two coffee to go. Take back to cabin. Wake Significant other. With a coffee and breakfast bun. Shower check the daily s for activities. Shower and take my sweetheart to breakfast. Her choice MD or Lido

If a Sea Day, go to Bingo , then either gym, or pool. Till Lunch.

Do not know about the Noordam but the Grand is my favorite ship so far but I wasn't a walker then. But if I remember correctly it had the walking up top and also an lower outside walking area. I am tring Hal for the first time soon and my TA says I will love it. (room service breakfasts).

All HAL ships of have been on have wrap around walking decks. On the "S" and "R" class they are on the Lower Promenade Deck. On the Vista ships they are on the Promenade deck and on the "Signature Class" I beleive they are on the Promenade decks and the floors are teakwood.

Soundsgreat6 --That sounds great!! I love being up and about before other living creatures. I get to see the crew in the jumpsuits cleaning the decks! Then they disappear. Mysterious men. I get my quick breakfast and go out to the sea view pool and watch us dock or watch the sun rise! I wanna be on a cruise!!! oh dear.:o 102 days.

I, too, love the promenade decks on HAL, especially the teak surface and loungers. On our only Princess cruise, DH and I were very disappointed that in order to get all the way around the ship on the promenade deck, we had to climb stairs to another deck, walk a ways and then descend back to the promenade deck. Really interrupted the flow of the walk.

Thats how we start the day with a walk around around the promende

deck early in the morning.

Early in the morning....wonderful time on the promenade. Walking late at night when the sky and the ocean are dark ..a cozy wrap and holding the arm of that guy I like to cruise with.;).. is another of my favorite times.

Truth is there is no bad time on the promenade..so wish I was strolling 'round it now.:)

All HAL ships of have been on have wrap around walking decks. On the "S" and "R" class they are on the Lower Promenade Deck. On the Vista ships they are on the Promenade deck and on the "Signature Class" I beleive they are on the Promenade decks and the floors are teakwood.

Let's not forget the Prinsendam. She also has a wrap-around walking deck on the Promenade Deck. And on that ship you pass the bow as you circle around the front! What a view! What a breeze! :eek:

One of the many reasons we're returning to HAL is the teak wrap-around promenade. There is something so invigorating about a trek around the ship. If I could sail forever I'd be in better shape, since I never walk at home, but discovered that I faithfully walked three miles every day on the Maasdam. What a joy! Hubby sat in a wooden deck chair and read and counted my laps. You will love this deck. It is very quiet so if you enjoy a good book and the sound of the sea slapping against the side of a ship with the wind in your face, this could become your favorite spot.

One of the many reasons we're returning to HAL is the teak wrap-around promenade. There is something so invigorating about a trek around the ship. If I could sail forever I'd be in better shape, since I never walk at home, but discovered that I faithfully walked three miles every day on the Maasdam. What a joy! Hubby sat in a wooden deck chair and read and counted my laps. You will love this deck. It is very quiet so if you enjoy a good book and the sound of the sea slapping against the side of a ship with the wind in your face, this could become your favorite spot.

You make a very good point. Aside from the fact that it is wide, teak, and goes completely around on one deck, HAL's promenade (at least on the S and R class ships) is much closer to the ocean. Many times, I have enjoyed the salt spray as I neared the bow!

I have never sailed HAL, but will in a few months. Have sailed Princess three times (all Grand class or Carib. Princess), yes the promenade deck does wrap around, but there are climbing/descending stairs port and starboard. Sounds like HAL ships have a continuous single level promenade/walking deck.

I have never sailed HAL, but will in a few months. Have sailed Princess three times (all Grand class or Carib. Princess), yes the promenade deck does wrap around, but there are climbing/descending stairs port and starboard. Sounds like HAL ships have a continuous single level promenade/walking deck.

That is correct.

This "up a couple of stairs" on the Promenade deck on the Grand Princess......I looked at the ship's deck plans and see that in the bow of the ship it does go up to the Emerald Deck. Does anyone know about how many steps up and then down this "up to the Emerald Deck" thing is....?????

• 2 months later...

We're just back from the Zaandam and we really enjoyed the promenade deck. It's been a while since we've sailed on ship that had a real wrap around walking deck.

According to our pedomaters we averaged over 8 miles a day of walking on our 15 day cruise. It helped our clothes to fit towards the end.

If only the the smokers would make an effort to stay down wind it would have been perfect.

It was a great trip.

You make a very good point. Aside from the fact that it is wide, teak, and goes completely around on one deck, HAL's promenade (at least on the S and R class ships) is much closer to the ocean. Many times, I have enjoyed the salt spray as I neared the bow!

jimmy2x, I just looked up your ship, the USS Oriskany. Then I watched her sinking on YouTube. How sad! :( I know she is an artificial reef now, but it was still sad to watch her go down.

I bet you do enjoy that salt spray. :cool: My dad certainly does (former USCG). And so do I.

Joan

Archived