Privée surcharge

plimsol

The butter and the special salts are served in La Reserve. I've had dinner in Privee twice but never saw the special butter or salts. If I have dinner there again, I'll certainly be asking for it.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

We had the special salt selection in Privee on Marina as well as in La Reserve. It was a hosted dinner by the GM. I don't know if that makes any difference on not. I do know all the wine was provided also.

The special butter you are probably referring to is sometimes generically called European or Plugra Butter. There are several brands available in the US. What makes it special is the higher butterfat content - 84% as opposed to 82%, with less water. It is churned longer in smaller batches, and available in unsalted & salted versions.

One company with a larger distribution has branded their product 'Plugra Butter' and so just like Kleenex, it is starting to be a commonly referenced name. Another is 'Kerry Gold' from Ireland. My local Wegmans carries both brands, but they are found in the specialty cheese refrigerated section, not in the dairy section with common butter, margarine, yogurt. Neither of these brands comes from cows which are not fed growth hormones. However, the butter from a European Union country has to be totally organic. Check specialty cheese shops - one person reported it being sold at their local WalMart. Probably definitely available in Canada :).

Just like regular butter, the fresher it is, the better.

We were introduced to this butter at classes with the wonderful Peter Reinhart in NC. (If you are wanting to get 'into' bread making or pizza, his books are the best!) It was a privilege to both make and taste croissants with this product. Since Oceania uses French flour, and their croissants are some of the best we've ever had, I am guessing that European Butter is layered in the croissants.

I've had to cut back on such things, but one reason my spouse was eager to go on another Oceania cruise this year was so he could have those wonderful croissants with good coffee every morning. :D

Although a couple of years old,

this website should provide more information. Enjoy!

In earlier posts:

“the fee is almost always waived”

“I'm bringing Cliff Lede Stardust Heaven Cabernet. Maybe special enough?”

We have averaged two cruises a year for the past seven years. We always bring wines aboard and among those wines that qualify as distinguished and beyond. In years past fees were often waived. Over the last few years our experience, whether in Privée or the specialties, is the wavier has been discontinued. While a number of our wines regularly elicit oh-ing and ah-ing from the Somms et. al, over the past couple of years the fee has always applied.

This is not in any way offered as a complaint. We are most appreciative of the corkage fee option, thank you Oceania. I only offer as our experience. It may or not prove to be yours. Enjoy your cruise and Privée.

• 2 weeks later...

My one comment on Privée dining was that, as with any table, conversation with the entire group is next to impossible. We've done it twice, and once I had a fairly non-conversant person next to me (I think she was shy), and it limited my ability to participate during the meal. It was a great experience. I had forgotten about the butter and salts. Wow.

Ann