Transatlantic on oceaia

maggie.1008

I am considering a Transatlantic on O. I have done several on Celebrity. I am concerned about it being too rough. I am not prone to sea sickness. However once on Regent Navigator from NYC to Bermuda it was so rough no one was in the dining room. I know that O`s R class ships are about the same size. I think the Riviera or Marina might be o.k. I know it might be more of a problem on NY to Southampton route. Thanks for your advice, Heather

I have done the O trip twice across on Marina, once out of NY and once out of Montreal. Regrettably, it was not rough (we like a bit of bounce) and when we were in the Irish Sea it did get rough which we enjoyed, but the ship handled it well. Now the trip leaves from Miami on the eastern trip and should be even less subject to gales. Have a good one.

I have cruised on the Navigator in the Atlantic and Caribbean. To Bermuda, it was quite rough. There was even a water spout we were watching in the ocean not far from the ship.

I've also cruised on the Riviera from Istanbul to Miami and while there were some storms in the Atlantic, the Captain sailed southerly to avoid choppy seas. It was not as smooth as prior crossing on the Regent Voyager but it was perfectly fine level of seaworthiness.

Personally I don't think the larger O ships ride as smoothly as the R ships. Just my perspective.

I'm pretty sure it's not always about the size but the design.

Edited by ORV

We are lucky enough to have done a number of T/As on X, AZ & O...on both the O and R ship sizes...and the S class and M class on X. I think they have all been great!!..but the Northern route on the M class..from Ireland to Iceland..and then on to Canada was rough..it was Sept. and could have been the time/weather etc!!

And on an AZ "R" ship this past spring we had a wild ride out of MIA...you just never know...??? :cool: Good luck...any T/A to me is amazing!!!;) LuAnn

We have done a number of TAs on the "R" ships (also a couple on Marina) and for the most part they have been very smooth. I won't say there was NEVER a rough day! For the record, I tend to be sensitive to motion although DH should have been a sailor.

We just got back from the Copenhagen-Southampton cruise on Nautica (mostly Norway and some Russia) and it was smooth all the way.

There is no predicting what the seas will be like.

We did a Southampton-NY cruise about 12 years ago that started out VERY rough and ended up quiet ...

Mura

We did TA from Barcelona to Rio two years ago. It was an extremely smooth cruise with highest waves around 6 feet. This despite the Captain took a route around a tropical depression off of Brazil. It was windy crossing the equator, many hats went overboard.