Venice Debarkation

maggie.1008

From what I've seen (Marine Traffic) and read, it's rare for any ship the size of the R ships to dock anywhere other than Marittima. However, last year we were on a Viking Ocean ship about the same size as Marina and the O ships, and while she was originally scheduled for Marittima (embarkation for us, debark for previous cruisers), she ended up coming in to San Basilio, which made things a little more difficult for some people to get to/from the airport. However, I believe it's rare for a ship that size to be assigned there, so I would guess you'll be at Marittima. You could always check the Venice port web site to see what they're showing, although that could change later, as our assignment did. We were in Venice for embarkation and took a vaporetto there from the hotel, so I can't tell you how much a cab would have cost, but probably something similar. It's pretty close to Marittima, but with less space for unloading passengers.

We were there on the Riviera the same time that Viking Ocean was there. When I first saw it I thought it was an Oceania ship.

Just to share the information, I booked with a group called Lowcosttaxi that had very good reviews on tripadvisor, they replied immediately & said they would confirm which dock we will be using from ship's name and meet us there at appointed time with our names on a sign. Not quite the bargain you might expect from their name (70 eu for 2) but it is for a 4 am pick up, so we don't want to haggle. This was the very last thing I had to arrange for the trip, so now it's just a matter of relaxing and savoring the anticipation.

Just to share the information, I booked with a group called Lowcosttaxi that had very good reviews on tripadvisor, they replied immediately & said they would confirm which dock we will be using from ship's name and meet us there at appointed time with our names on a sign. Not quite the bargain you might expect from their name (70 eu for 2) but it is for a 4 am pick up, so we don't want to haggle. This was the very last thing I had to arrange for the trip, so now it's just a matter of relaxing and savoring the anticipation.

4 a.m.? Is your ship in port overnight? Glad it's not me though!

YIKES :eek:

what time is your flight?

I do not think the airport is even open until 6 am

I would check in the ports of call forum under "Venice " for information

or maybe you are catching a train

Yes, we are in overnight. I confirmed with the resident experts (Jim& Stan) that we can disembark at any time on final day since we will clear the day of arrival. Flight is BA at 7 am...the only option to get us back to states that day without overnight in London. I also read trip advisor reviews of folks who had pick up at 4:30 am with this same company. So I allow for the chance there could be a surprise or complication somewhere in this plan, but if so, we will chalk it up to adventure travel.

Auldlassie, I meant to add what someone said about using a water taxi last year from Venice port to Venice hotel and hotel to airport. She wasn't on Oceania but the info should be similar. She was disembarking from the ship in Venice (Marittima) and she and three others had pre-arranged a water taxi. From where they picked up their luggage post-cruise to where they were told to meet the water taxi was a "short walk." Later, on the water taxi from her hotel to the airport, there was a 15-20 minute walk to get inside the airport, but it was mostly flat and they just took their time. There were porters who would take the luggage for 10 euros per bag, but she passed on that.

Auldlassie, I meant to add what someone said about using a water taxi last year from Venice port to Venice hotel and hotel to airport. She wasn't on Oceania but the info should be similar. She was disembarking from the ship in Venice (Marittima) and she and three others had pre-arranged a water taxi. From where they picked up their luggage post-cruise to where they were told to meet the water taxi was a "short walk." Later, on the water taxi from her hotel to the airport, there was a 15-20 minute walk to get inside the airport, but it was mostly flat and they just took their time. There were porters who would take the luggage for 10 euros per bag, but she passed on that.

Just a quick note here, for those who are unable or unwilling to walk 1000 yards unassisted, or who are travelling with a significant amount of luggage, the water taxi isn't really an option.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a shuttle of any kind offered in Venice? How far is the walk to the people mover?

Can only answer this in general terms as we boarded in San Basilio rather than Maritimma, and came from a hotel near St. Mark's Square rather than the airport. Maybe someone else can be more specific, or perhaps tomsportguides or one of the links mentioned above will help. I do know that if you take the airport bus it will drop you off at Piazalle Roma, where you walk maybe a block or less to the building which has the entrance to the People Mover. (If you're familiar with Google Earth, you can see the station if you look around the area of Piazalle Roma. There's a big glass building with parking, and the PM is to the side.) I think Tom's has a photo or two. Once on the PM, you get off at the first stop. I think there is a terminal close to there where you check in and drop your luggage. Then you need to get to the ship. Some people walk, but I've read that some cruise lines arrange a shuttle bus from the PMover to the ship, especially if the ship is assigned to one of the farthest locations in the port. (See http://www.italylogue.com/planning-a-trip for cruise port diagram). Whether Oceania will provide a shuttle for your cruise, I can't say, although you may want to look at the pinned thread on Oceania Shuttles to get an idea if they've done it in the past, or pose a question there about a shuttle from PM to ship (not ship or PM to city!) If there's no shuttle, how far you walk from the People Mover to your ship depends upon which berth the ship is assigned to and/or where you're directed to go. I've read there are people in the port during peak times to direct traffic and answer questions, so I guess everyone is filtered off to wherever they need to be.

Hope that helps at least a little, and that others will confirm and/or fill in the gaps. You could also post a question in the "Ports of Call" section of the boards to get more info.

Is there a shuttle of any kind offered in Venice? How far is the walk to the people mover?

Where are you coming from? Are you coming from the airport to the ship? Are you getting off the ship and visiting Venice? It makes a difference what you're doing

Can only answer this in general terms as we boarded in San Basilio rather than Maritimma, and came from a hotel near St. Mark's Square rather than the airport. Maybe someone else can be more specific, or perhaps tomsportguides or one of the links mentioned above will help. I do know that if you take the airport bus it will drop you off at Piazalle Roma, where you walk maybe a block or less to the building which has the entrance to the People Mover. (If you're familiar with Google Earth, you can see the station if you look around the area of Piazalle Roma. There's a big glass building with parking, and the PM is to the side.) I think Tom's has a photo or two. Once on the PM, you get off at the first stop. I think there is a terminal close to there where you check in and drop your luggage. Then you need to get to the ship. Some people walk, but I've read that some cruise lines arrange a shuttle bus from the PMover to the ship, especially if the ship is assigned to one of the farthest locations in the port. (See http://www.italylogue.com/planning-a-trip for cruise port diagram). Whether Oceania will provide a shuttle for your cruise, I can't say, although you may want to look at the pinned thread on Oceania Shuttles to get an idea if they've done it in the past, or pose a question there about a shuttle from PM to ship (not ship or PM to city!) If there's no shuttle, how far you walk from the People Mover to your ship depends upon which berth the ship is assigned to and/or where you're directed to go. I've read there are people in the port during peak times to direct traffic and answer questions, so I guess everyone is filtered off to wherever they need to be.

Hope that helps at least a little, and that others will confirm and/or fill in the gaps. You could also post a question in the "Ports of Call" section of the boards to get more info.

Things can always change but when we were there the first time and took the people mover we had about a 15 minute walk from the PM to the ship, with our luggage, there was no place to drop it off right after the PM.

The second time we were there we took a car directly from the airport to the ship. Money well spent. About 40 euro.

We were there overnight before sailaway and the next day there was definitely no shuttle. We just went over to the Aliguna boat that ran to the San Marco stop. Oddly enough the city vaporetto wasn't running from there, although it was their facilities.

Edited by ORV