Problems Filling Their Ships?

kitty9

In the past two days, I've received two separate offers to "extend your cruise" by choosing either the cruise before or after ours, scheduled for next January. The prices for those extended cruises are pretty good, with reductions of over $2000 per person for the cabin category we booked. This is for Riviera and the offers were sent to my travel agent.

I wonder if bookings are down quite a bit for this winter? Is it the worldwide economy or the history of Noro on Riviera that's causing these offers?

maybe they have more cabins to fill than previous yrs :confused:

we have gotten offer to extend cruise in the past couple of yrs so nothing new

but maybe travelling to Europe now in not on some people's bucket list

I think Mediterranean cruises will be deeply discounted. The terror threat is real.

Yes I agree with you the terror threat is putting people off coming to Europe. We booked an excellent price on Riviera for October cruise only to see the price come down and on board spend go up by a fair old amount. Since we were outside the cancellation period they put us on to the new price and on board spend. We were very pleased since I don't think this would have happened with Celebrity! This last week they have further improved the offer by adding either free excursions or drinks package - we are too late for that.

We are from the UK and to be honest I would rather have a full ship with nice folks from all over the world than have the terrorists make people stay home!

I think Mediterranean cruises will be deeply discounted. The terror threat is real.

You mean like Turkey having their Government overthrown today. Not really a terror threat, but certainly interesting. Fun times.

Edited by ano

Just now received internet website offer for all South American cruises to include ALL 3 options: tours, beverage package and s/b credit.

Those have been available since the middle of June. You get unlimited internet with that also.

Edited by ORV

We've only taken 2 Oceania cruises so this is something new for us.

And now, with the attack in Nice and the coup in Turkey, I'm seeing that people just might reconsider any travel in Europe.

Just now received internet website offer for all South American cruises to include ALL 3 options: tours, beverage package and s/b credit.

I've seen that for a while..but I'm looking for a 2018, no deals and higher pricing. Also, I don't know if the itinerary (a Regatta around the horn) might get changed for Cuba instead. I'll wait and see at this point.

My take on the offers...O has fewer price changes dependant on demand than the mass markets, so sometimes they offer these add on cruises with incentives. But, on the other hand, sometimes a cruise over sells, so they offer incentives to get booked people to change to another cruise. It's just another way to manage revenue based on demand.

Edited by buggins0402

I seem to recall several months ago seeing offers for the Alaska cruises then come closer to the sailings they are making offers to move off those sailings

Marketing gone wild ;)

Indeed.France is on red alert and information is coming through of possible future attacks in beach resorts in Spain,France and Italy...

As for Turkey the latest English news....

British tourists in Turkey have been ordered to stay indoors as a state of 'martial law' was declared in Turkey in the wake of a failed military coup that left 90 dead.

British Airways has cancelled all flights to and from Turkey on Saturday and flight BA675 departing from Istanbul on Sunday. It said the situation will be kept "under review".

Ano,I hope you can understand that it is not "fun times" !It IS a terror threat and it is reality..

I seem to recall several months ago seeing offers for the Alaska cruises then come closer to the sailings they are making offers to move off those sailings

Marketing gone wild ;)

Yes, I was on one of those a year or so ago. Great offer to book it then great offers to change. Oops.

Yes, they include all three option with O life. But you can also get a cruise only fare for much less so these things are not free. You are paying for them. Just like you pay for those "free: excursions on Regent.

Those have been available since the middle of June. You get unlimited internet with that also.

That unlimited internet is practically worthless now that they give it away. Usage far exceeds capacity. Only time it works well is in the middle of the night if you happen to have insomnia.

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Far to many ships plying the Carribe during the winter months. I expect more calls from my TA with even better offers for those O cruise come Oct or Nov. May see near give away deals for late Spring by Feb. O did shift a ship to do some CA and Mexico ports (Yawn) :rolleyes:, but I guess it did get a ship out of the Carribe and that market.

Alaska is heavily trafficked also. Last year, my daughter and husband were considering O for Alaska when Celebrity came through with an incredible deal that blew O out of the water. A lot of price competition.

Another factor is that O plays this game with the Adriatic ports. They make their schedules where one must do two cruises to hit all the ports. Viking has a schedule that hits all the major Adriatic ports in one cruise, at a much lower price than O. I prefer O greatly over Viking, but O needs to do a lot of discounting for two cruises to equal one on Viking to see the same ports!

A lot of competition now exists, with new ships and cruises added yearly. Supply and Demand forces will win out eventually.

Far to many ships plying the Carribe during the winter months. I expect more calls from my TA with even better offers for those O cruise come Oct or Nov. May see near give away deals for late Spring by Feb. O did shift a ship to do some CA and Mexico ports (Yawn) :rolleyes:, but I guess it did get a ship out of the Carribe and that market.

Alaska is heavily trafficked also. Last year, my daughter and husband were considering O for Alaska when Celebrity came through with an incredible deal that blew O out of the water. A lot of price competition.

Another factor is that O plays this game with the Adriatic ports. They make their schedules where one must do two cruises to hit all the ports. Viking has a schedule that hits all the major Adriatic ports in one cruise, at a much lower price than O. I prefer O greatly over Viking, but O needs to do a lot of discounting for two cruises to equal one on Viking to see the same ports!

A lot of competition now exists, with new ships and cruises added yearly. Supply and Demand forces will win out eventually.

Just got a Viking brochure and looked through it. I'd never really checked them out before. From reading it apparently between 2015 -2018 they have/are bringing out 5 ships that seem to be in direct competition for the demographic that is or could be Oceania customers. I'm sure that has a bit to do with lower prices and increased perks we're seeing on Oceania.

Nothing new, have always been offered these post and or pre extensions. Yes a good deal, but I wish they would do so before we make our air arrangements

Exactly! Finding the right flights I don't really want to try and change them a few weeks before....especially when we are traveling abroad.

I have heard about these offers from fellow O cruisers. What would nice is to have a handle on how far in advance these offers are made as my wife has to submit vacation requests at least 120 days in advance.

And now, with the attack in Nice and the coup in Turkey, I'm seeing that people just might reconsider any travel in Europe.

We have been to Europe twice this year and have two more trips planned for 2016 (Portugal and Germany/Austria) and two booked for 2017, both to France. I do think prices will be affected for Europe for at least the short term.

Airfare is looking favorable and we hope to find some bargains that we can take advantage of that may allow us to add another trip or two. We won't be staying home and will not be avoiding Europe.

Headed to Portugal in 2 weeks and can't wait!

Edited by caviargal