B2B: what to expect?

Hi everyone,

My husband asked where I wanted to dine on our anniversary. I jokingly said ‘on the Riviera’ (last year we’ve sailed for the first time with Oceania and had an incredible time).

Long story short: we’ve ended up booking a B2B cruise for the first time. Both cruises are in a Guarantee stateroom (same category).

Our wedding anniversary is on August 24 , 2016. This is the last day of the first cruise and also the first day of the 2nd cruise. We’ll be in Rome on that day. we have often been in Rome so we just want a lazy day.

My questions:

- Maybe we’ll need to change cabine: must we leave the ship and have to go back through the check-in process?

- What else is different? Are there different rules for those who remain on board? What is the atmosphere like? Is lunch possible in the Grand dining room? …

Please, share your experiences.

Veerle

When I was on a B2B, they offered a lunch in the dining room by invitation for those who were doing the B2B. If you have to change cabins, the crew will do it for you. All you have to pack is your drawers and bathroom. They just lift all the clothes on hangers, hang them on a rack, and take them to your new cabin. Quite painless, except for refilling the drawers and unpacking your toiletries. There is always the lunch in the Terrace or Waves if they don't offer you the special lunch in the dining room. Not sure if it was because we were on a longer cruise or not.

we also had the invite for lunch in the GDR on turnaround day

If you do not want to go into Rome then just stay on the ship & relax

A few days before the end of the 1st cruise you will get instructions on what to do & new cruise cards ...no need to line up again to board

In Miami we had "intransit cards" to show the port people so we could reenter the terminal before new passengers arrive

(this was a 1st for us ) previously just our new cruises cards had to be shown to reenter the terminal

They do try to get you the same cabin sometimes it works sometimes not

enjoy

Lyn

When I was on a B2B, they offered a lunch in the dining room by invitation for those who were doing the B2B. If you have to change cabins, the crew will do it for you. All you have to pack is your drawers and bathroom. They just lift all the clothes on hangers, hang them on a rack, and take them to your new cabin. Quite painless, except for refilling the drawers and unpacking your toiletries. There is always the lunch in the Terrace or Waves if they don't offer you the special lunch in the dining room. Not sure if it was because we were on a longer cruise or not.

This has been my experience also on 3 or 4 B2B's and Grand Voyage we've been on. Hopefully the OP will get the same room, but the times we've changed we've been moved by 8:30 or so in the morning.

We also got the special intransit tag we had to wear in Auckland on our last experience of a turn around day.

I'm sure we’ll have an excellent experience on the Riviera whatever the cabin situation will be. I was more worried about having to go through check-in again. Your responses made me think it will be a very ‘painless’ event.

It needs to be a lazy day because the night before we have dinner reservations for Toscana and on the 24th we’ll dine at Jacques :).

It's also a great day to do laundry as the ship is quiet after people disembark and the new group comes on. B2Bs are wonderful and yes, they always offer the special lunch in the GDR on that day for the people doing them.

ENJOY,

Billie

Edited by mountain grandma

I'm sure we’ll have an excellent experience on the Riviera whatever the cabin situation will be. I was more worried about having to go through check-in again. Your responses made me think it will be a very ‘painless’ event.

It needs to be a lazy day because the night before we have dinner reservations for Toscana and on the 24th we’ll dine at Jacques :).

Our experience is a bit dated with our B2B in April 2013---Barcelona to Rome (Civitavecchia) and then Rome to Venice. We had a 'guarantee' for the second leg, so didn't find out what room we had for the second leg until about three days from the end of the first leg. They tried to get us as close as possible to our first room, so we went from 9005 to 9004---also on Riviera as you indicated you will be. Close numerically, but opposite sides. Just a quick walk past the Vista Suites and we were there.

The move went very quickly. The clothing on hangers was done by the crew as a previous poster described. However, our crew even exchanged the drawers :D, so a minimum of work to be done. I tried to help them, but they said they could be reprimanded if it was seen we were doing our own move. So, aside from packing up our shoes into a bag, and putting toiletries from the bathroom into a box, we did nothing.

I guess it depends on how many B2B people are staying on board during the lunch hour. We had 42 B2B people on turnaround day, so we ate in Jacques, but the menu was from GDR. We had a nice time meeting some people we hadn't met on the first leg. And, yes, I took advantage to do some laundry as well.

Rome is a good 90 minutes to 2 hours from Civitavecchia and we had been to Rome previously on land tours. However, the port town is nice for a walk just to get off of the ship if the weather is nice. They were having some sort of a festival, parade, celebration when we were there. Do a bit of research and see if you are interested in the port town.

Enjoy your cruise(s)!;) And Happy Anniversary!

Something my sister and I do when on b2b Civitaveccia is hop on the train (direction Roma), go one stop to Santa Marinella and walk around the charming town, stop at the café at the beach, have a glass of wine and talk with locals or other travelers.

It's a pleasant way to spend a couple of relaxing hours, then return to Civitaveccia. A lovely and cheap excursion to see a very pretty town and white, sandy beach.

one of the nice things you can do for your cabin attendant if you don't change cabins is to tell him/her that you'll make your own bed and you won't need turn down service in the evening.

That way it is one less cabin for the attendant to have to do on turn-around-day and he/she will really appreciate your thoughtfulness.

one of the nice things you can do for your cabin attendant if you don't change cabins is to tell him/her that you'll make your own bed and you won't need turn down service in the evening.

That way it is one less cabin for the attendant to have to do on turn-around-day and he/she will really appreciate your thoughtfulness.

We have tried this but they are too professional to let it go

Our cabin was done while at breakfast

Many of the ATW people told their attendant to not do their rooms for the turn-around days and the attendants were pleased to not have to.

When we got to travel with the same attendant for months we learned all about each other; they helped us and we tried to help them in return.