Bordeaux itinerary question

clcmdse

to my traveling gurus out there!

Our itinerary next summer (Lisbon to Bilbao) includes a stop in Le Verdon (Bordeaux) on Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., with the ship moving to Bordeaux and arriving in Bordeaux at 8:00 p.m. that evening and leaving the next day Sunday at 6:00 p.m.

I was thinking of setting up a wine tour that starts in Le Verdon and ends in Bordeaux with dinner that evening tin Bordeaux to make the most of the region on that day. The ports are about 2 hours apart. Like Long Beach to San Diego, I am thinking. It would be a long day of fabulous eating and drinking (sigh!). I have researched the French port boards but have not found an answer to the question of whether this makes sense. I know that the next day in Bordeaux I can arrange a full wine day but am also focusing on Saturday.

Has anyone done that? Your thoughts are always appreciated.

Catherine

to my traveling gurus out there!

Our itinerary next summer (Lisbon to Bilbao) includes a stop in Le Verdon (Bordeaux) on Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., with the ship moving to Bordeaux and arriving in Bordeaux at 8:00 p.m. that evening and leaving the next day Sunday at 6:00 p.m.

I was thinking of setting up a wine tour that starts in Le Verdon and ends in Bordeaux with dinner that evening tin Bordeaux to make the most of the region on that day. The ports are about 2 hours apart. Like Long Beach to San Diego, I am thinking. It would be a long day of fabulous eating and drinking (sigh!). I have researched the French port boards but have not found an answer to the question of whether this makes sense. I know that the next day in Bordeaux I can arrange a full wine day but am also focusing on Saturday.

Has anyone done that? Your thoughts are always appreciated.

Catherine

When a ship stays overnight in a port that is quite distant from the places people really want to visit, a some cruisers leave the ship overnight and check into a more centrally-located hotel. What you're proposing isn't exactly the same, but it certainly works on the same basic principle. You will have to notify Oceania in advance that you intend to "miss the ship" when it departs from Le Verdon. However, I don't see any fundamental difference between a policy which we know gets approved and yours that is simply a small variation.

Call Oceania and explain your plan in terms that the people already understand.

Two overnight examples:

Oceania does a cruise that includes an overnight in the port of Kobe. With Kyoto, Osaka, and Nara near by, cruisers often stay overnight in one of those cities for more convenient access to the other cities the next day.

Overnight port calls in Haifa or Ashdod typically produce many cruisers who leave the ship to stay in hotels in Jerusalem overnight.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

When a ship stays overnight in a port that is quite distant from the places people really want to visit, a some cruisers leave the ship overnight and check into a more centrally-located hotel. What you're proposing isn't exactly the same, but it certainly works on the same basic principle. You will have to notify Oceania in advance that you intend to "miss the ship" when it departs from Le Verdon. However, I don't see any fundamental difference between a policy which we know gets approved and yours that is simply a small variation.

Call Oceania and explain your plan in terms that the people already understand.

Two overnight examples:

Oceania does a cruise that includes an overnight in the port of Kobe. With Kyoto, Osaka, and Nara near by, cruisers often stay overnight in one of those cities for more convenient access to the other cities the next day.

Overnight port calls in Haifa or Ashdod typically produce many cruisers who leave the ship to stay in hotels in Jerusalem overnight.

Thank you for that important tip. You are correct, it is similar to an overnight trip without the overnight part. We will definitely contact Oceania about leaving the ship if we choose to go that route. Now I wonder if anyone has done this kind of day trip and whether it is really manageable to do. Sometimes things look great on paper...but not so much in action!

Catherine

We did this 2 years ago; however, the ship arrived in Bordeaux at 5 pm. We left the ship, had a wonderful all day tour and arrived when the ship docked. In your case, perhaps you could start your tour later and arrive when the ship is docked. Just tell the ship that you will be leaving and will catch up with it in Bordeaux. You shouldn't have any problems at all. I think we had our travel agent inform Oceania. Have a great time. Arlene

Thank you for that important tip. You are correct, it is similar to an overnight trip without the overnight part. We will definitely contact Oceania about leaving the ship if we choose to go that route. Now I wonder if anyone has done this kind of day trip and whether it is really manageable to do. Sometimes things look great on paper...but not so much in action!

Catherine

Our Bordeaux port call was one very long day with the ship docked in Le Verdon. Our guide picked us up early and we visited three wineries in the Medoc region, including some of the sub-regions. For example, we had a leisurely lunch at the cafe run by the Chateau Lynch-Bages called Cafe Lavinal in the Pauillac region. (This allowed us to get a single glass of the stellar Lynch-Bages wine since the prices on whole bottles of that lovely Chateau are somewhat beyond what we want to spend.) I do not recall whether we got into the Haut Medoc region as we headed south; we certainly didn't get as far as Bordeaux itself.

Your most reliable bet is to contact the guide you expect to use and ask him/her directly. Another option would be to post your question on the French board of the Ports of Call section of this site.

Our itinerary, although limited to Medoc was so packed with tasting and driving that we were among the last 10 cruisers to return to the ship. We weren't late. We were still comfortably ahead of the cut of time for returnees, but we utilized every minute of our in port time. One of our best port calls ever!!

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

We recently spent 4 days in Bordeaux while on a ten night river cruise and fell in love with the city! Gorgeous, clean, easy to get around and with a wonderful energy.

We are headed back next year for crush and already looking forward to it!