Baby formula query

Irish Cath

So we are considering cruising with our baby. Have only cruised RCI in the past. As they do not have kettles in staterooms ( interior or window) how do you make up formula ? Which cruise lines have kettles in all staterooms ?

Our pediatricians are a bit more relaxed about sterility than those in your area. By the time the baby is old enough to cruise (6 months) water does not need to be sterile. Tap water is fine for mixing formula. After all, by this age, everything they touch goes into their mouths... But to closer answer your question, I believe Celebrity and Royal Caribbean (?) may have kettles in staterooms when sailing from the UK. You might also ask on the P&O-UK board and the NCL boards here at CC. EM

Our pediatricians are a bit more relaxed about sterility than those in your area. By the time the baby is old enough to cruise (6 months) water does not need to be sterile. Tap water is fine for mixing formula. After all, by this age, everything they touch goes into their mouths... But to closer answer your question, I believe Celebrity and Royal Caribbean (?) may have kettles in staterooms when sailing from the UK. You might also ask on the P&O-UK board and the NCL boards here at CC. EM

I've had several pediatricians (and babies), all said sterile is not needed for babies, just clean (once anyone touches the bottle, it's no longer sterile). We just used warm tap water and powdered formula.

So we are considering cruising with our baby. Have only cruised RCI in the past. As they do not have kettles in staterooms ( interior or window) how do you make up formula ? Which cruise lines have kettles in all staterooms ?

Have you also considered bringing a small portable travel bottle warmer....We have one that can be plugged into a car cigarette lighter or has an adaption to use a wall plug. Not sure I would use those kettles as to me they look a bit grungy inside. You can also just order hot water from room service...or they will heat (steam) up your bottle at the drink station in the WJ or possibly at the specialty coffee bar.

RCI special needs department will also provide you with bottled water for formula.

Since a baby must be at least 6 months to cruise, they are moving about and touching stuff on their own. Sterility is NOT needed at that age. You can mix your formula with tap or bottled water. The hot water gets HOT, so you can fill the sink and immerse the bottle in it, to warm it a bit.

Of course, if you were breast feeding, that would always be the easiest! Never have to "mix" or "warm" anything!

Thank you all for your replies. Whether parents decide to sterilise their baby equipment is completely an individual choice and I choose to follow the guidelines of our health service executive. Boiled water (at least 70C ) is required to make up the formula to kill any bacteria present.

Of course baby would be over 6 months when cruising and yes breast feeding would be most convenient but it's hardly possible to just decide to start breastfeeding then :)

Thank you all for your replies. Whether parents decide to sterilise their baby equipment is completely an individual choice and I choose to follow the guidelines of our health service executive. Boiled water (at least 70C ) is required to make up the formula to kill any bacteria present.

Of course baby would be over 6 months when cruising and yes breast feeding would be most convenient but it's hardly possible to just decide to start breastfeeding then :)

You can more than likely request bottled water from the special needs department before you board. I know that is not considered sterile and if you are not comfortable with that you could get just hot water from where the tea stations are setup.

The special needs department would be the place to start tho. I am sure that they are requested this frequently.

A few other unrelated thoughts since cleanliness is a concern for you. Take along some Lysol (or other bleach) wipes and give the room a very good wipes down. Don't forget all the loose objects like phones and remotes as those can harbour a crazy amount of germs! Do the handles and cupboard doors too. When we traveled w our baby we took along painters tape for baby proofing. Tapes cords away and doors closed, you never know where you kiddo will decide to try pulling up, or where they will get to on an adventurous crawl!

Have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...

If you are really worried about germs, you could get something like a Steripen. This is from the Steripen site -

"What is the proper way to disinfect my water so it is safe to drink or prepare other drinks like baby bottles, koolaid, sun tea, ice tea, frozen juices etc.? There are multiple ways to ensure you have pure drinking water. The traditional treatment is boiling. Boiling water kills harmful bacteria and parasites (freezing will not disinfect water). Bring water to a full rolling boil for at least 1 minute to kill most infectious organisms (germs). For areas without power, use a SteriPEN ultraviolet water purifier, or chemically disinfect tap water by adding 8 drops, about 1/8 teaspoon, of plain unscented household bleach to a gallon of water. Thoroughly mix the solution and allow the water to stand for 30 minutes. If the water is cloudy, repeat the process. Use a container with a cap or cover for disinfecting and storing water to be used for drinking. This will prevent re-contamination. SteriPEN® exceeds U.S. EPA Guide Standard and Protocol for Testing Microbiological Water Purifiers, destroying over 99.9% of bacteria, viruses, and protozoa when used as directed."

DON

Depending on the formula, it might be possible to purchase pre-mixed bottles. When we traveled with DD when she on formula we'd often purchase the premixed bottles of similac. All you had to do was open the bottle & attach a nipple.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Re post 7

Translating for us Americans. 70C is equivalent to 158F. Very hot, but not boiling water.

Could always travel when your child no longer needs boiled water.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums