NOLA Hotel Question

stvntra

Hi,

My husband and I are cruising out of New Orleans next week (very last minute trip) and we are looking for a nice, but inexpensive hotel to stay in just for the night before we leave. Does anyone here have any experience with any hotels in New Orleans that are close to the port and/or Jackson Street, etc? I'm not having any luck at all whatsoever and am getting extremely frustrated to say the least. :( Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!:)

My experience is that "close to the port" and "inexpensive" in NOLA are two completely different things. Of course, he term "inexpensive" may mean something different to you than it does to me. And I'm sure plenty of others have found places that are inexpensive to them. Not sure if it works for you, but what we've done in the past is stayed near the airport and used the Carnival shuttle to/from the port.

We always stay at the Embassy Suites. We have walked to the port the next day . It is a few blocks away and takes about 10-minutes. You head a few blocks to the Outlet at Riverwalk then take a right an follow the Port of New Orleans walk. Just put it in your GPS and it will take you right to the ship. We found that the happy hour of free apps and drinks the night before and the free breakfast with mimosas and bloody marys plus the no cab fee to the port make this hotel an economical place to stay before our cruise out of NOLA.

NOLA hotels in that area are going to be at least $150 per night, maybe more on the weekend days. Since this is very last minute, you might want to choose something further out in Metarie or by the airport and then just uber it to the port. Although, I'm not confident you are going to find anything under $100. sorry.

NOLA is definitely a port you need to book as soon as possible. We paid $350 per night over thanksgiving weekend before a cruise in 2015!! Expensive port city but worth it because it was a ton of fun exploring for a few days.

Have you tried AirBNB or VRBO?

Good luck and have a great cruise!

Hi,

My husband and I are cruising out of New Orleans next week (very last minute trip) and we are looking for a nice, but inexpensive hotel to stay in just for the night before we leave. Does anyone here have any experience with any hotels in New Orleans that are close to the port and/or Jackson Street, etc? I'm not having any luck at all whatsoever and am getting extremely frustrated to say the least. :( Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!:)

What night are you looking for? Do you have a vehicle to park or are you flying?

Look into The Quisby - it's a hostel relatively near the port, but does offer private rooms and includes breakfast. We ended up staying elsewhere, but when we were exploring options, communications were prompt and professional. I think the private room is around $120/night.

We ended up staying at a bed & breakfast in Algiers Point (neighborhood across the Mississippi River - 15 minute drive to port tops) - Bed & Breakfast on the Point. Very neat old house, gracious host, and wonderful breakfast (they used to run a restaurant in NOLA).

My experience is that "close to the port" and "inexpensive" in NOLA are two completely different things. Of course, he term "inexpensive" may mean something different to you than it does to me. And I'm sure plenty of others have found places that are inexpensive to them. Not sure if it works for you, but what we've done in the past is stayed near the airport and used the Carnival shuttle to/from the port.

Thank you, nchikk! No, I'm looking for cheap but safe when I say inexpensive - LOL. However, we have friends who stay outside of NOLA about 30 minutes in a nice hotel and inexpensive, so we are going that route instead. Thanks so much for your feedback! :)

We are sailing on the Dream July 2nd. The best we found was the Hilton by the airport about 14 miles from port. We booked this 8 months ago and it was the only thing we could find. Good Luck and have a great cruise.

Thanks so much, beachnsnowbunny! Enjoy your cruise on the Dream! :)

We always stay at the Embassy Suites. We have walked to the port the next day . It is a few blocks away and takes about 10-minutes. You head a few blocks to the Outlet at Riverwalk then take a right an follow the Port of New Orleans walk. Just put it in your GPS and it will take you right to the ship. We found that the happy hour of free apps and drinks the night before and the free breakfast with mimosas and bloody marys plus the no cab fee to the port make this hotel an economical place to stay before our cruise out of NOLA.

That sounds heavenly, forb0054! Mimosas and bloody Marys? Yes, please! :). Thanks for your feedback!

If Prytania Park Hotel has availability, I highly recommend them. Rates are usually really good and it's close to port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perfect, thanks so much, Stacy_C. I've actually looked at them already. Thanks for your feedback! :)

NOLA hotels in that area are going to be at least $150 per night, maybe more on the weekend days. Since this is very last minute, you might want to choose something further out in Metarie or by the airport and then just uber it to the port. Although, I'm not confident you are going to find anything under $100. sorry.

NOLA is definitely a port you need to book as soon as possible. We paid $350 per night over thanksgiving weekend before a cruise in 2015!! Expensive port city but worth it because it was a ton of fun exploring for a few days.

Have you tried AirBNB or VRBO?

Good luck and have a great cruise!

Thank you, Jdemps. That's what I was finding for sure - and the ones that weren't that much had awful reviews and pictures to back it up, so that made me very nervous. We have already booked our parking, but have decided to rent a room outside of NOLA as it will probably be easier this time around. Thanks for your feedback! :)

We stayed at the Springhill Suites Downtown/Convention Center. We wheeled our bags to the port - wasn't far. We stayed Thurday and Friday nights - Thursday was $129 but Friday was $199.

Thank you, andismom! We were really not wanting to spend that much if at all possible, however, we may not have a choice since we didn't book this until 2 days ago - LOL.

What night are you looking for? Do you have a vehicle to park or are you flying?

Hi Saint Greg! We are leaving on the cruise next Thursday night. Driving to NOLA on Wednesday. Have already booked parking so we are good with that. Are now looking at options outside of NOLA that may be less expensive, but may not be, considering we just booked this cruise 2 days ago.:eek: :cool:

Look into The Quisby - it's a hostel relatively near the port, but does offer private rooms and includes breakfast. We ended up staying elsewhere, but when we were exploring options, communications were prompt and professional. I think the private room is around $120/night.

We ended up staying at a bed & breakfast in Algiers Point (neighborhood across the Mississippi River - 15 minute drive to port tops) - Bed & Breakfast on the Point. Very neat old house, gracious host, and wonderful breakfast (they used to run a restaurant in NOLA).

TNPirate - thanks so much for the feedback! They both sound very nice! :)

Hi Saint Greg! We are leaving on the cruise next Thursday night. Driving to NOLA on Wednesday. Have already booked parking so we are good with that. Are now looking at options outside of NOLA that may be less expensive, but may not be, considering we just booked this cruise 2 days ago.:eek: :cool:

I'm pretty good with booking hotels on Hotwire and being able to figure out what some of them are before you book.l if that's something you'd be interested in. With those you have to prepay but you save a ton of money...and you're leaving in a few days so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

At a quick glance you can get in a nice 3-4* hotel close to the port for $83-100 AFTER taxes. I can dig deeper if you want but I definitely see staybridge suites and Le Meridian in that price range to give you a couple of examples. The one catch is hotels in New Orleans typically charge $30-40/night parking. So that 83-100 would likely be $113-140 total.

• 5 weeks later...

We are on an NCL cruise departing from NOLA in March of 2018 and plan to spend 2-3 days pre-cruise in NOLA. We like Embassy Suites and I thank you for giving such a good description of its location to the port. Is it also close enough to walk to the French Quarter?

Thanks!

We are on an NCL cruise departing from NOLA in March of 2018 and plan to spend 2-3 days pre-cruise in NOLA. We like Embassy Suites and I thank you for giving such a good description of its location to the port. Is it also close enough to walk to the French Quarter?

Thanks!

You're about 6 blocks from the French quarter. Or if you walk to that outlet mall you can take a streetcar deep into the French quarter.

007c5d1b862990807529fdeafb4693a3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk