Planning a family Caribbean cruise for 2018

Cruisin' Mamaw Barb

I need some help with planning our cruise. There will be nine of us. Two couples, a single mom, me (I'm Grandma) two sixteen year olds and a ten year old. Trying to decide on the best ship, Carnival or RC. Also, Eastern or Western Caribbean. My husband and I did both cruises on Carnival Glory when she was new. I know the kids would love water slides and none of us are interested in rock climbing walls. We all love beaches and some of us would be interested in Mayan ruins. Also, suggestions for how many cabins we'll need. One couple are twenties no kids. Other couple are parents of sixteen and ten year old boys. My daughter, her sixteen year old daughter, and myself round out the group.

Edited by Cruisin' Mamaw Barb
I left something out.

I do not think you could make a bad choice. I would first look at the most convenient port and see which ships sail from there. Then look at the cost for your preferred date. It would seem like you need at least 3 cabins (the most economical choice). Pretty much every port will have a combination of beach choices, hiking/nature adventures and historical sites. I prefer the Southern Caribbean but that was not on your agenda so I would go with Western. We all have our best memories and mine include Key West, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. As for the cruise line, I would choose between the two simply by the cost factor as either one will give you a great time. We have more status with RCL so we would lean that way but $$$ count.

Just to throw another ship in the mix, we're on the Norwegian Escape Western Caribbean in 2 weeks and that ship has a few water slides and no rock wall (although it does have a ropes course). At our Costa Maya stop in Mexico, we're going to see Chacchoben ruins. At the other stops, we're going to hold sloths at an animal park and visit a resort with water activities but there's also cave tubing, swimming with dolphins, etc. Just an idea! We were on the RC oasis a few years back but at that time it had a rock wall and no slides (although it did have the flow rider) and we enjoyed that. Can't speak to the room question as we're just a family of 4. Enjoy!

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the above mentioned lines...

As far as cabins, I would think you'll need at least 3...but that will mean 3 in one cabin...so make sure those folks "get along" in smaller spaces! Looks like you'd have the childless couple in one cabin, the family in another, and you, your daughter and grand daughter in the 3rd. Of course, the "family" might want 2 connecting cabins, if the budget allows....there are MANY ways to do this!

I need some help with planning our cruise. There will be nine of us. Two couples' date=' a single mom, me (I'm Grandma) two sixteen year olds and a ten year old. Trying to decide on the best ship, Carnival or RC. Also, Eastern or Western Caribbean. My husband and I did both cruises on Carnival Glory when she was new. I know the kids would love water slides and none of us are interested in rock climbing walls. We all love beaches and some of us would be interested in Mayan ruins. Also, suggestions for how many cabins we'll need. One couple are twenties no kids. Other couple are parents of sixteen and ten year old boys. My daughter, her sixteen year old daughter, and myself round out the group.[/quote']

I am a Carnival fan vs RCI, especially if you do not feel that you need or want all the bells and whistles/extras. Depending on when you travel (peak times like summer, spring break etc) Carnival is consistently cheaper in my searches. But I would pick one of the newer ships like Sunshine (our family's fav), Magic, Dream, Breeze, Vista etc.

For route, I would definitely pick Western as there are so many more varieties of activities. For ruins, we loved Altun Ha and River Wallace in Belize. In Roatan, book a private island tour and see the sloths, monkeys, birds, iguanas etc.; if you don't have them take you to West Bay beach, once you are dropped off you can easily enjoy a couple of hours at the beach at the port, though West Bay is much nicer. Sting Rays (with sharks for adventuresome people) or just 7 mile beach in Grand Cayman. Chankanaab park (book privately) in Cozumel, or otherwise pick on of the beach clubs.

Cabins

1) 20's couple

2) older couple

3) kids (they are cousins, right so they can stay together without it being weird?)

4) you and daughter

If you don't want all the kids in one room, then put your 16 year old grand daughter in with you and her mom.

I am NOT a fan of cramming people into the cabin - especially when not so many women are involved! That's a lot of bathroom and hair drying time! Also, the more space you have the more relaxing it will be!