Father won't let kids go...last minute. IDEAS?

mrsfuzzmo

UPDATE: We fly out tomorrow. The Dad signed the paperwork to let them go. All in all, he was just being an a$$. The kids and my sister are thrilled, as is the whole family.

Looking forward to having all this drama behind us and enjoying the cruise together!!

UPDATE: We fly out tomorrow. The Dad signed the paperwork to let them go. All in all, he was just being an a$$. The kids and my sister are thrilled, as is the whole family.

Looking forward to having all this drama behind us and enjoying the cruise together!!

Bon Voyage...and enjoy :D

Enjoy the cruise! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband and I are not divorced but we have different last names which he is OK with. However, I insisted that the children have my same last name. I travel with passports and we all have the same last name. On our last cruise (which was also our first) I had a letter from him, but it was not notarized. I checked the Carnival website and it did not say that the letter needed to be notarized. I also had their birth certificates with the letter, because the father's last name is different. He also would not let them cruise so I told him we were going to Canada which was the destination of the cruise. The letter stated that had permission to visit and the dates. I was never asked for the letter or any documentation other than the passport. However, I agree that is is better to do eveything by the book.

We are going on a cruise in Nov and I am in a similar situation. I do not have the money for a lawyer. A lawyer would cost more than our whole trip and I am not divorced. He has stated on many occasions that he did not want his children going on a cruise. We are traveling in November from NY to the Bahamas and I will not be asking for permission. I have carefully checked the Royal Canadian website and it states that permission is only needed if one parent is not traveling with the child. I hope this policy does not change. I will also print our the policy from the website just before leaving to verify that it has not changed and show the agent if necessary.

Even if I remarry (which is not likely)I will keep the same name as my children because I think it will make travel easier.

To the OP hope that everything works out for you. When we finally do go to court over custody, I will see if we an put in the agreement that he has to sign for their passports (kids passports expire in 5 years) and that he has to provide written consent to travel. He does not travel with kids or even visit them on a regular basis (2 times in 12 months) so if they don't travel with me they go nowhere. I hope to work everything out in family court without lawyers. He makes less money than me so I know he won't have a lawyer either.

Hang in there and I hope it all works out. Come back and let us know what happened.

• 3 weeks later...

The trip was fantastic. A trip of a lifetime for all the kids. They all got along so well and enjoyed everything that was offered on the ship and off. What a blast.

For those following the saga and with questions, My sister did have a notorized letter in the end to take with her, but was never asked for it. They were able to check-in together, no questions asked. The kids do have a different last name, but they all have passports, so I'm thinking that helped. (Get your passports people).

Everything worked out wonderfully and we had a perfect family vacation!

The trip was fantastic. A trip of a lifetime for all the kids. They all got along so well and enjoyed everything that was offered on the ship and off. What a blast.

For those following the saga and with questions, My sister did have a notorized letter in the end to take with her, but was never asked for it. They were able to check-in together, no questions asked. The kids do have a different last name, but they all have passports, so I'm thinking that helped. (Get your passports people).

Thank you for the update! I'm glad that everyone had a great time. My children and I have passports and the same last name. I had a notarized letter from their father too, but was not asked for it. Their father doesn't even have their same last name, but I had the letter just in case.

Thanks for much for the update. It is so great that everything worked out and everyone had a wonderful unforgettable time. I hope the kids take the time now that the cruise is done to explain to their father just how much his decision and actions affected them and how it will change their relationship going forward if he does it again.

I think when people see the "I didn't need it" comment others read that and think they don't either. It is one of those things better to have and not need then need and not have. Like house, car and health insurance. A waste of money until you need it.

Every time I drive over the border from Washington to BC I get asked. Heck 30 years ago when my kids were little my DH was asked why he was taking our two kids over the border, where is your mother, why isn't she with you.

Glad you guys had a good trip. For future trips though, from what you posted earlier it sounds like she doesn't even need permission from him, that she only needs to inform him.

Next time if I were her I would just send the father an email about a month in advance telling him about the trip. Then she needs to just take a copy of her order and the email she sent.

This guy sounds like a real jerk.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Glad you guys had a good trip. For future trips though, from what you posted earlier it sounds like she doesn't even need permission from him, that she only needs to inform him.

Next time if I were her I would just send the father an email about a month in advance telling him about the trip. Then she needs to just take a copy of her order and the email she sent.

This guy sounds like a real jerk.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Actually, for her court case she only needed to notify him. For Immigration she does need the letter.

Actually, for her court case she only needed to notify him. For Immigration she does need the letter.

That's not entirely true. Per Carnival, a notorized letter is not required. It's only a suggestion in case there are any questions.