Whale watching cruises...suggestions please

DaisyDoo246

Dec-Mar Hawaii for humpbacks

Jun-Sept Alaska for humpbacks and orcas

Many places to see whales but I've seen them there.

I've read that the Azores is a hotbed for whale watching and it is accessible on cruises from Southampton.

Hi there

We have enjoyed whale watching tours during cruises in Alaska, Hawaii, and west coast Mexico. All have been great.

On the east coast you have choices in the New England region, the Atlantic provinces of Canada, as well as the St. Lawrence river and there is also Bermuda. While we have enjoyed cruising in all these areas we have not done whale watching personally on the east coast. No matter where you are going to go be sure to research which are the best months to go if you want to see whales.

Cruises to all these regions would be quite different than your typical Caribbean cruise. I can't help but suggest that you should consider extending you trip to also experience some of the regions on land, whether it is Alaska, Hawaii, West or East coast Canada as well as the New England states.

good luck with your whale watching

The cruise will get you to the region, and while you might see an occasional whale/marine mammal (to include dolphins, orca, sealions, and even sea otters) from the ship, you will want to take an excursion to get close and multiple viewing. Ship's ShoreX in Juneau and private one in Seward (at the end of a northbound 7-day cruise, where we stayed on) were equally amazing. Both were in June when the whales were in feeding frenzy after their near-fasts in Hawaii, and the babies were still cute (if an animal the size of a school bus can be cute!).

We like HAL for Alaska -- most staterooms have sofas (even insides), the staff/crew are wonderful, and most 7-day itineraries include Glacier Bay scenic cruising! Tours out of Vancouver have the prettiest first -- and last on a round-trip -- day in the Inside Passage between Vancouver Island and British Columbia.

And there's always Antactica (on an expedition ship.) We saw Orcas teaching their young how to hunt seals right from the bow of our ship. We say several other whales, including humbacks from zodiacs and kayaks.

We've done plenty of sunshine cruises with RCI but are thinking of a whale watching cruise.

Can anyone recommend where to start looking, cruise lines? Destinations?

We live in the U.K.

Thanks in advance

Eastern Canada /New England cruises would be the best for this.

Pacific cruise to Alaska would also have opportunity for whales but check the season

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...

I went on a whale watching trip when we were docked in Halifax, Nova Scotia. It was disappointing in that we could only see them in the distance. They were minke whales. I will be on an Alaska cruise in September, and hope that will be more successful

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There really are no "whale watching cruises" - some cruises stop at ports during the right season for local whale watching tours: Hawaii and Sea of Cortez in winter are great, Boston, and Halifax, and Alaska ports in summer. Very rarely will you see whales while cruising at sea.

Halifax is not a good port for whale watching. However I believe there are excursions from Saint John in New Brunswick. You want to be towards the mouth of the Bay of Fundy.

There is good whale watching off the west coast of Cape Breton but the cruise stops in Sydney are never long enough to allow for this.

Halifax is not a good port for whale watching. However I believe there are excursions from Saint John in New Brunswick. You want to be towards the mouth of the Bay of Fundy.

There is good whale watching off the west coast of Cape Breton but the cruise stops in Sydney are never long enough to allow for this.

Also the time of year is important. Whales are migratory and may not be in the area where you are. Plan ahead

Also the time of year is important. Whales are migratory and may not be in the area where you are. Plan ahead

I didn't plan my cruise on the basis of whale watching, I wanted to visit Reykyavik and the other ports on the itinerary. I just assumed that if a whale watching excursion was on offer, there might be some whales to see!