Beer/Drinks on the beach

Hi!

For those of you that have been to St. Maarten recently, can you still purchase cheap beer on the beach and walk with it in hand? The last time I was in St. Maarten was in 2007. Does anybody have the current cost of a beer on the beach? I'm trying to see if the Cheers package will be worth it for us.

Thanks!

As I recall beer is relatively cheap on the island if you stick with their local Amstel or Carib and maybe the Heineken. Under $5 a bottle, IIRC. I've seen 12 bottle buckets advertised at $12, but that was a while back. If you're at one of the beaches, yes I've seen people strolling with beers and drinks in their hand. Also in downtown Phillipsburg's beaches. Not sure about along the streets but there are street carts around that sell beer at various spots.

If you're talking about Carnival's Cheers package, that's not going to help you on shore. As I'm sure you are aware you can't take bottles of booze off the ship. But if you are debating on going a shore or staying on the ship just because you have pre-paid beers, IMO you need to re-think why you cruise to different ports.

As I recall beer is relatively cheap on the island if you stick with their local Amstel or Carib and maybe the Heineken. Under $5 a bottle, IIRC. I've seen 12 bottle buckets advertised at $12, but that was a while back. If you're at one of the beaches, yes I've seen people strolling with beers and drinks in their hand. Also in downtown Phillipsburg's beaches. Not sure about along the streets but there are street carts around that sell beer at various spots.

If you're talking about Carnival's Cheers package, that's not going to help you on shore. As I'm sure you are aware you can't take bottles of booze off the ship. But if you are debating on going a shore or staying on the ship just because you have pre-paid beers, IMO you need to re-think why you cruise to different ports.

Thanks crewsweeper! I am definitely getting off in port, no need to re-think why I cruise. I do know I can go off the ship with drinks, but I'm just trying to calculate the value of cheers I'll get on port days.

Thanks for the info about current beer prices.

Thanks crewsweeper! I am definitely getting off in port, no need to re-think why I cruise. I do know I can go off the ship with drinks, but I'm just trying to calculate the value of cheers I'll get on port days.

Thanks for the info about current beer prices.

"I do know I can go off the ship with drinks". If this is the case you must hide them in a backpack. We tried going off with a specialty coffee in Maui while on a cruise that embarked in Honolulu. That actually surprised us along with 1/2 of the security agents. 😊

I hate warm beer. You can get cold beer on many beaches for a couple of bucks a piece and sometimes even less.

And let me add...that unless you've found a "friendly barkeep" many bartenders on board will open each beer. Now you might under Cheers be able to harbor some in advance in your cabin and then take them off in a backpack/small cooler, but seems like a wasted effort to me. Not found of leaky backpack dripping icy water down my back. Base don various spreadsheets I've seen, the break even per day for Cheers is around 6-8 drinks depending upon what you order. Not a too high number to achieve even on a port day. Take advantage of Cheers to order from the craft brews on board.

Was in St Maartin in Nov 2016. Bought a bucket of 5 beers (Carib) on ice, plus two front-row lounge chairs under one umbrella - all for $25. Later got a Guavaberry Colada and walked around downtown with it, then got another one on the way back to the ship. It was a good day. :cool:

Was in St Maartin in Nov 2016. Bought a bucket of 5 beers (Carib) on ice, plus two front-row lounge chairs under one umbrella - all for $25. Later got a Guavaberry Colada and walked around downtown with it, then got another one on the way back to the ship. It was a good day. :cool:

Sounds delicious!

Hi!

For those of you that have been to St. Maarten recently, can you still purchase cheap beer on the beach and walk with it in hand? The last time I was in St. Maarten was in 2007. Does anybody have the current cost of a beer on the beach? I'm trying to see if the Cheers package will be worth it for us.

Thanks!

Back to the original question.

Yes, you can buy relatively cheap beer on the beach or in downtown Philipsburg and walk around the beach/town with it, no problem.

If you are an actual buyer, shopping in the jewlery stores along Frontstreet, you will be plyed with complimentary beers and such, and feel free to carry them on to the next shop.

Beers on the beaches have mostly gone from $2 to $3, with bucket and packages available, and I really think I saw $.99 little Heineken at an alley off Frontstreet last year.

The Presidente at McDonalds on Frontstreet was $1.50.

th_DSCN4510.jpg

(click)

gary

Back to the original question.

Yes, you can buy relatively cheap beer on the beach or in downtown Philipsburg and walk around the beach/town with it, no problem.

If you are an actual buyer, shopping in the jewlery stores along Frontstreet, you will be plyed with complimentary beers and such, and feel free to carry them on to the next shop.

Beers on the beaches have mostly gone from $2 to $3, with bucket and packages available, and I really think I saw $.99 little Heineken at an alley off Frontstreet last year.

The Presidente at McDonalds on Frontstreet was $1.50.

th_DSCN4510.jpg

(click)

gary

Gary ALWAYS has the most important and useful information!!!

Cheers,

Andy