Antarctica vs. Alaska

cl.klink

Not including excursions, just concerning the physical beauty and impressions of nature, how would you compare these? We are making our first visit to Alaska in 2 weeks,and first visit to Antarctica in 2017, so I can answer then. But, for those that have been to both already, what say you?

- Joel

They're very, very different but nothing on the planet comes anywhere near Antarctica (especially if South Georgia and the Falklands are included).

Describing why is almost impossible. Only those who have been can actually understand.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We have been to both, Alaska 3 times and going back to AA next year. Antarctica is by leaps and bounds ahead of Alaska for sheer beauty. The excursions is the icing on the cake.

Not including excursions, just concerning the physical beauty and impressions of nature, how would you compare these? We are making our first visit to Alaska in 2 weeks,and first visit to Antarctica in 2017, so I can answer then. But, for those that have been to both already, what say you?

- Joel

We traveled to Alaska and Antarctica and, between the two, Antarctica was very special. We're traveling to Svalbard, north of the Arctic Circle, on our next expedition. We're prepared for big visual differences between traveling to the Antarctic Circle and Arctic Circle.

If you take a look at my blog site, a copy of my travel article on Antarctica is available for reading.

Bob

We traveled to Alaska and Antarctica and, between the two, Antarctica was very special. We're traveling to Svalbard, north of the Arctic Circle, on our next expedition. We're prepared for big visual differences between traveling to the Antarctic Circle and Arctic Circle.

If you take a look at my blog site, a copy of my travel article on Antarctica is available for reading.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. I'll be interested in looking at that. Appreciate.

- Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

There is no comparison. Antarctica wins hands down! There are no words to describe it.

I highly suggest going on a small ship (ours was 8,000 tons on Quark) and do it right. We crossed the Drake (30 foot waves, no one slept for 2 days).... the feeling of accomplishment is surreal. We crossed into the Antarctic Circle. My favorite night was when the captain stopped the boat and let the anchor down. We were in the Lemaire Channel. It was completely dark out and we could hear the ice cracking around the boat.

I can tell you it is my opinion that Antarctica required a lot more energy. We were in zodiacs for an hour or two at a time and then on land. Hiking with all the layers of clothes and rubber boots was tiring but VERY worth the effort.

Alaska is a cruise. Antarctica is an adventure/expedition.

Just go...you wont regret it. I've yet to meet anyone who has not loved Antarctica. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

"If Antarctica were music it would be Mozart. Art, and it would be Michelangelo. Literature, and it would be Shakespeare. And yet it is something even greater; the only place on earth that is still as it should be. May we never tame it."

Andrew Denton.

We've been there four times, and we are not done. However, on our most recent TA cruise, a woman disparaged Antarctica because "there are no cities there." Duh. I resisted the urge to give her a verbal smack down. Some people will never "get" it. It is their loss.

However, on our most recent TA cruise, a woman disparaged Antarctica because "there are no cities there."

This is both hilarious and very sad. As you say, some people don't get it (and I feel a little bit sorry for them), yet then why book a cruise to Antarctica if you are in this mindframe? The lack of cities could be anticipated, and there are so many great places with great cities around the world to go to instead. Sigh.

And thank you for this citation which I didn't know but really speaks to me!

"If Antarctica were music it would be Mozart. Art, and it would be Michelangelo. Literature, and it would be Shakespeare. And yet it is something even greater; the only place on earth that is still as it should be. May we never tame it."

Andrew Denton.

We've been there four times, and we are not done. However, on our most recent TA cruise, a woman disparaged Antarctica because "there are no cities there." Duh. I resisted the urge to give her a verbal smack down. Some people will never "get" it. It is their loss.

Denton and wise Jennifer were boarding my ship last year as I was disembarking so we had a great chat. They are multi polar travellers.

We had a woman on board my 3rd trip who - on the second landing (a shore with a mere 20,000 penguins) - got off the zodiac and glared at me and said "is this all it is everyday, putting all the heavy gear on then just getting on these rubber boats and standing around here? Is this the same place as yesterday?"

I said "no yesterday was a different location - seals and albatross, no penguins, and yes really truly this is what we are doing several times a day for the next 3 weeks".

She sighed and got back on the zodiac and demanded to be taken back to the ship !

One has to wonder what she thought she had spent $30,000 on.

Not just Antarctica. We're on our way back from Greenland where one woman complained about one landing beach: 'Why have they chosen one where it's rocky? I might break my leg.'!

Several seemed to think polar bears were booked to appear at a particular time at a particular location!!

Some people just don't get it.

Not just Antarctica. We're on our way back from Greenland where one woman complained about one landing beach: 'Why have they chosen one where it's rocky? I might break my leg.'!

Several seemed to think polar bears were booked to appear at a particular time at a particular location!!

Some people just don't get it.

We just got back from Greenland. Wow!!!!!!!! We had no expectation of seeing a polar bear but as we sailed in Scoresbysund they'd booked one (hahaha) to be asleep on a small slab of sea ice. I don't know I've ever been so excited. The bear eventually woke up, looked at us, stood up, wandered around a bit and then slid into the water and swam away. It was amazing!

The nothingness was the most special thing about Greenland.

Antarctica is hopefully soon

721910664_SAM_0354cropped(Large)(Small)(Mobile).JPG.53e0e5a62022270a50dd3d8621a19230.JPG

Been to Alaska twice and Antarctica once. Agree with what everyone has said about Antarctica. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I've got details of our Antarctica trip in my personal travel blog if anyone is interested. Just click Antarctica in the index on the right side.

NkiMk[img][img]m[/img]G]mk

We just got back from Greenland. Wow!!!!!!!! We had no expectation of seeing a polar bear but as we sailed in Scoresbysund they'd booked one (hahaha) to be asleep on a small slab of sea ice. I don't know I've ever been so excited. The bear eventually woke up, looked at us, stood up, wandered around a bit and then slid into the water and swam away. It was amazing!

The nothingness was the most special thing about Greenland.

Antarctica is hopefully soon

Read this blog under the section route

http://www.gotravelyourway.com/2013/07/20/qantas-flight-qf63-from-sydney-to-johannesburg/#.VhCzl7TI7vg

I was asked by no less than 3 people in the last 3 weeks which hotel did we stay at in Antarctica....

So I have no surprises that people are that naive... especially if its been booked by a couple and either he or the travel agent have planned it

(It was similar on safari in Africa.... oh no one told me we would see lions and elephants)