Flying to the cruise

honeymooner16

we are doing a Hawaii trip next month and have a 12 hour flight to get there. Any suggestions on food to take on the plan for a 1 year old? He isn't a picky eater, but we will need things that will stay without ice for long periods.

Activity suggestions for the flight are also welcome!

I hope he has his own seat; that's a very long time to hold a child in your lap. Take whatever food he likes. You can bring ice packs, but they must be completely frozen when you go through security.

Bring some new toys/books but nothing that has wheels that will roll down the aisle if dropped or that will hurt someone if it gets thrown!

My DD used to like a pad of post-it-notes that she could stick on things.

Bring whatever packaged snacks he usually likes. We always have plenty of fruit/veggie purée pouches on hand (you'll want to keep them separate for security screening). Also things like crackers, dried/freeze dried fruit, dry cereal, etc. We also had some dried meal packets that you make with just hot water. Plum Organics makes them- I know there's a quinoa/veggie and a broccoli/pasta, as well as a multigrain oatmeal.

A few new or favorite small toys and books, but don't go overboard, as you know, a one year old has a very limited attention span. The "water wow" coloring pads are good for that age. We did get an Amazon fire tablet (<$100) for our 15 month old on her first transatlantic flight, that kept her attention the longest with videos and simple games. She still loves it now as a 2 year old, but we limit screen time at home so she's only allowed to use it when we travel- added bonus is that it keeps her attention even longer since it's a special treat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My kids really like freeze dried fruit. Also (controversially) nuts, which are easy to transport but could cause problems if anyone near you is allergic. If you are going on a cruise in Hawaii, we took boxes of cereal off the ship to use as snacks. Whenever my kids get whiny or bored, I'd let them choose a new cereal and they'd be happy again.

Also, please be aware that once the TSA told me if I wanted to bring food for my child through security, they'd need to hand-search me. I don't know if the TSA lady was just trying to bust my chops or if it is their actual policy, but please be aware of that possibility. She gave up almost immediately when she realized the search didn't bother me.

Take an empty ziploc bag or two and a small soft cooler. After you go through security go to a restaurant and get a cup of ice and pour into the ziplocks. Then purchase some yogurt or cheese sticks or milk or sandwich, bagel with cream cheese etc if you need to keep anything cold.

Also bring bandaids and scotch tape. Kids can play with that for hours. I used to give mine a sheet of stickers and told him to decorate my shirt. Take an ink pen and draw small people on your fingers to make finger puppets. Invest in a set of kid headphones - so he can play with the music or watch the in flight movies. Color wonder markers are wonderful for flights as they won't mark anywhere. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I second the stickers idea. Go to the dollar store and load up. Your little one can stick them all over - as long as you take them off before you deplane. Keeps them busy for hours! Also at the dollar store, pick up little toys to introduce one at a time over the duration of the flight - there is nothing like a new toy to capture interest. Even going through photos on your phone will often provide entertainment in a pinch.

As for snacks, take lots of little items that can be enjoyed slowly, one at time. Think Cheerios, raisins, small pieces of dried fruit, fish crackers, etc. Hand them out individually and drag it out as long as you can! Bananas are easy to cut up on the plane and cheese strings will keep for several hours. Maybe the flight attendants could place perishables in a refrigerator for you?

Traveling snacks we routinely pack:

1. Fresh oranges - they are so great for traveling and don't bruise easily. If they're not readily available I like the packages of mandarin oranges in juice. Yes you'll need to pour out the juice (or slurp it out), but they're a nice source of fruit in a pinch. Bonus, peeling the orange will totally occupy my daughter for a solid 10 minutes and cuties in particular are smaller, but not overly juicy/messy.

2. Bananas if I have the space to storm them and keep them from bruising.

3. Animal crackers

4. Cheerios or other cereal of some sort. Pro-tip, while cruising, grab an extra box and a banana to keep in your room for emergency snacks later in the day.

5. If you eat peanut butter (or sunbutter), a small container of it for dipping/spreading and a protein boost

6. Celery stalks (dip in the peanut butter!)

7. Graham crackers

8. At a year, I'd skip raisins (potential choking hazard), but consider dried apricots.

9. Sometimes I cook muffins the night before to cart along. If you have any of the silicone reusable muffin liners they'll help protect them from crumbling during travel. They are slightly less messy than Nutri-grain type bars.

I avoid things like Nutri-grain bars at that age because my kids always made such a huge mess of them, crumbling the pastry and smearing the jam everywhere.

You can absolutely take food through security. The mandarin oranges maybe not (although I use them in the car and for other types of travel). None of my list above requires refrigeration, however I might also bring other cut up fruits to consume early or pay the high prices to purchase them at the airport or during a layover. You can easily find fresh fruit, baked goods, sandwiches and yogurt in the airport.

We used to bring different sets of the soft somewhat thick gel window clings (like during holidays putting them on home windows for decorations- those types). it would occupy our daughter for at least a few hours off and on. Plus it doesnt leave a film on the windows or where ever else they may land. food-wise, bring like finger foods like nuts (if no allergies), oranges (I always peeled my daughter's beforehand to avoid the mess) and pretzel type foods. Dont bring stuff like cheese puffs that color little fingers orange as they will touch everything and turn it orange (I know unfortunately from experience)

• 3 weeks later...

I second the idea of packing some stuff that you can put on ice and a cooler. You can dump the ice in the bathroom right before security and than refill the ice once you get through from a restaurant. Take along high proteim foods, cheese, yogurts, nuts (if you have started introducing those). The protein in those will keep your kiddos blood sugar more even during the flight.

When we fly I board during the 1st "needs assistance" wave and get everything stowed away. I also give the arm rests, table and so on a quick wipe with a Lysol (bleach) wipe, just to make sure we aren't picking up anything from those. My DH will bring the kiddo on board at the very end of the boarding. That way we are all set to just get seated by the time they come along.

Have a great time!

I only want to say, good for you! Many people wouldn't do that plane ride and cruise with a 1-year-old, but I think it's great. Your little one will grow up traveling and be a great traveler at a young age. You didn't ask about this, but it's only a plane ride, and whatever happens on the plane stays on the plane. You are planning ahead, and I am sure it will go well.

• 5 weeks later...

Not sure exactly when your trip is, so maybe you will not see this in time.

You should be aware that any fresh fruit brought on the plane and not eaten, cannot be taken off the plane in Hawaii due to agriculture laws.