Driving to Galveston- best route?

Skippy

We are about a 4 hour drive from Galveston. Is it better to drive in the day before or morning of? Coming from Austin, do you suggest taking 290 or 71 to I-10? We haven't been to Houston in several years and I don't know if the tollway 290 extension made it all the way to Houston yet.

What side of Austin are you coming from?

It really will make little difference, unless at time, there will be construction on any of those highways? Like last time recently, we were on I-10, there was major construction near Columbus. We generally like 290 (less commerce trucking) relative to the current circumstances of the day.

As to coming in day of cruise, that's relative to any uncontrollable circumstances. Is 290 tollway complete? I'm not sure. But last time we came in from Austin , 290 near Houston town was nearing completion.

There is always construction around Houston and on way to Galveston.

Much improvement in traffic patterns and completions of sections of I-45 have occurred past Beltway 8 to Galveston.

I don't know if you are coming in this weekend but I-45 (Gulf Freeway) is scheduled to be closed at Fuqua exit which is between 610 and Beltway 8. I would take 71 to I-10 and then Beltway 8 (Sam Houston Tollway) to 45 South. That puts you just south of the closure.

I don't know if you are coming in this weekend but I-45 (Gulf Freeway) is scheduled to be closed at Fuqua exit which is between 610 and Beltway 8. I would take 71 to I-10 and then Beltway 8 (Sam Houston Tollway) to 45 South. That puts you just south of the closure.

Believe Fuqua closure was last weekend. Check you sources ! Do not see anything presently on net. Usually out by now . It might be coming though.

Believe Fuqua closure was last weekend. Check you sources ! Do not see anything presently on net. Usually out by now . It might be coming though.

Now I found something for Fuqua, there will be southbound closure this weekend . Take alternate routes.

Edited by ssb