Dining, theme nights, and shore excursion questions

cheramello

Ok so for dining onboard the MDR and buffet are included with our cruise but are the specialty restaurants also included or is that an extra cost? Is that what OBC is used for? Should we purchase some of that ahead of time or do they charge everything to your account and you pay at the end much like a hotel?

The website, when I can get it to work, barely has any info about what to bring and expect. How do I found out what type of theme nights, formal nights, and activities that will be offered? Should I expect an email from MSC when it gets closer to sailing time (we leave end of July)?

Does anyone have any recommend tour companies to use for excursions aside from the ships? I found Jaital and they seem to have pretty good reviews. Any others?

After reading some of the threads in this community I'm scared to get off at Nassau for fear of missing the ship! :eek::') I have only cruised one time before and it was way back in the day, I went with my sister and it was all very casual so I'm not sure what to expect now. Thanks for your patience!

Hi Cheramello

Only the MDR and buffet are included in your cruise fare, speciality restaurants are chargeable.

When you get onboard, you can link your credit card to your cruise card and this is what you use to pay for any purchases onboard, including dining.

There's no incentive to purchase onboard credit as $1 = $1 - the money is better off in your account.

In terms of theme nights, a week long cruise will have two formal nights, a white party and a meditteranean theme party. Generally people only dress up for formal and white.

For Shore Excursions, if it is the Western Caribbean itinerary, I would highly recommend Peat Taylor tours for Ocho Rios, and the Cozumel Chef in Cozumel. Peat Taylor offers all of the typical Ocho Rios excursions (Dunn's River, the Blue Hole, etc.) for much cheaper and better quality tour. The Cozumel Chef offers a Mexican/Yucatan cooking class at a local woman's house, as well as a local food tour, which takes you to many off the beaten path restaurants. Both amazing experiences.

In Nassau, I wouldn't be overly concerned about missing the ship, as there is no tender. Depending on what you choose to do, just make sure to inform your tour guide/taxi driver of the time you need to be back (give yourself 45 min - 1 hour leeway for them to get you back later than the stated time you gave them) and they will make sure you are back in time. Most of the 3rd party tour companies also offer "on-time guarantees", so you are generally safe with them. People don't usually "miss the boat!"

For Grand Cayman, your best bet is usually to grab a tour right in the port area when you get off the ship. Much cheaper, and it is a VERY safe island. They also know when the last tenders are and make sure to get you back in time.

If reference to yourpayment question. This is the information that I have found out about using a credit card. Everything paid for pre cruise is sent through a Miami Bank, therefore no foreign exchange fees. So I plan on paying ahead of time. Anything paid by credit card after your are onboard goes through a Paris Bank and if you don't have a card that give free foreign exchange, you will be charged a foreign exchange fee. Neither of my CC have free foreign exchange. That is why I will take cash or pre-pay.

American lines are not like that unless you do a money exchange.