Galveston Sights/eats

seagunthera

I'll be arriving in Galveston on Friday and am looking for some advice on must sees and good eats? Jazzed that the trolley will be up and running so won't have to rent a car:) So far, I'm reading Rudy and Paco's and Gaedos are good restaurants? I'll be trvelling with my daughter but she is 9 going on 29 and has no interest in the water park, etc. Anyone know what the aquarium is like? We have passes to an awesome one here in Long Beach so am thinking to skip. So far I want to hit the Pleasure Pier, Moody Mansion and the Strand...we are the types who are just happy to walk around and take it all in (I love architecture). Is it possible to gain access to the Bishop's Palace or The Grand Opera? Any suggestions from those who have been? Also, she is an animal LOVER so if there is anything in that realm, I would put it on our list. Post cruise we are spending time in Houston to hit the dog show and zoo!:halo:

Thanks for helping us!!!

You're going to get the best information on TripAdvisor. And then click on things to do. Not really sure how much time you have to spend on the island. When you get to TripAdvisor. If you click on Galveston Island forums. More of your questions can be answered there.

Sent from Samsung's Galaxy using speech to text

Also see

Galvestonhistory.org

And contact Galveston Visitors and Convention Bureau

Consider Turtle Rescue Facility by NOAA .

She would enjoy Rainforest Cafe

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out the Turtle Rescue Facility for sure.

Gaido's is the name of the restaurant you mentioned. It's on the Seawall. Miller's is outstanding for breakfast. You can rent bikes or pedi carriages and pedal along the Seawall. There are horse carriages along the Strand. Bishops Palace does have tours.

Bishops Palace, Moody Mansion, Bryan Museum (one of larger collection of southwestern art and historical artifacts in US), and Opera House are all open for public tours.

Consider tours of Restored Elissa Tall Ship Sailing Schooner, and tour of Dolphin Sight Seeing on Port , and three short Historical Films at Maritime Museum at port

Also Tour of wooden tree sculptures from trees damaged during Hurricane Ike is wonderful.

The Aquarian Pyramid at Moody just completed a 27 million renovation so may be worth it.

The Rain Forest Pyramid at Moody is wonderful for it's tropical Paradise with birds, animals, butterflies and other species.

All the 3 D films are excellent at Moody.

https://www.ssbgalveston.org/

SCOUTING PROGRAMS

at

SEA STAR BASE GALVESTON

eb8b5f_f0dbfd07255e408695c09ff69e680fc0%7Emv2.gif

The Boy Scouts of America's Merit Badge and NOVA Awards programs incorporate learning with cool activities and exposure to science, technology, engineering and mathematics for Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Venturers. The hope is that the requirements and activities for earning these awards stimulates interest in STEM-related fields and shows how science, technology, engineering and mathematics apply to everyday living and the world around them. Counselors and mentors help bring this engaging, contemporary, and fun program to life for youth members.

2017 Dates

Inventing Merit Badge and STEM Nova Whoosh!

Jan. 21, 2017

Weather Merit Badge and STEM Nova Design To Crunch

Feb. 11, 2017

Kayaking Merit Badge, Oceanography Merit Badge & Adopt-A-Beach Service Project

April 1, 2017

Webelos Aquaknot & Webelos Castaway Adventure

May 6, 2017

Summer Camp

GALVESTON NAUTICAL ADVENTURE

Sail 23' keelboats and 40' schooners, race against other crews, kayak the bayou, and take in a scavenger hunt and festive luau, all while learning the latest Sea Scout techniques. Adventure waits for no one...get on board.

Crew: 4 scouts +2 adults = 6 total

GULF COAST SAILING ADVENTURE

Cast off on this one of a kind adventure. A true live aboard program, scouts learn what takes to run vessel while exploring the Galveston Bay area.

Crew: 4 scouts + 2 adults = 6 total

PRIVATEER ADVENTURE

Enjoy three fun-filled days and nights of kayaking along Offatts Bayou, the gateway to Galveston, practice swimming and lifesaving skills, learn all about sailing 101, participate in an engaging game of beach volleyball, race to win a privateer scavenger hunt with your fellow Scouts, and finally, dance your cares away at a closing festive Luau. Pack your Hawaiian shirt...you're going to need it!

Crew: 1 scout + 1 parent = 2 total

CUB SCOUT & WEBELOS SPLASH ADVENTURE

Spend the weekend on the Gulf Coast waters of warm Galveston Bay earning requirements toward the new aquatics program. Show off your swimming skills with your friends while making new ones. This will be a fun and educational program at our new bay-side retreat on sunny Galveston Island. Pack your swim trunks...you're going to need them!

Age: Must have completed 1 full year as a Tiger Cub or be starting 2nd grade in the Fall.

Crew: 1 scout + 1 parent = 2 total

REGISTER NOW WITH BAY AREA COUNCIL

eb8b5f_10b40447c04747829358193893b15d93%7Emv2_d_2048_1536_s_2.jpg

eb8b5f_146cc6bd86f946d9ad044605b7490a91%7Emv2.jpg

eb8b5f_e0c555e538b344238afec7c732b6e1e9%7Emv2.jpg

eb8b5f_ac7147a4efa348e8b98a007960d38e17%7Emv2.jpg

eb8b5f_53a69f937ed940efa32a0d4b788db09d%7Emv2.jpg

I second the advice to tour the tall ship Elisa! I personally also like the Galveston Railroad Museum.

I'm glad you are going to go to the Houston Zoo. Be aware that it will be HOT. If you are driving yourself, I highly recommend that you be there when they open. Parking does fill up. Depending on where you are staying, there's also the option of taking the MetroRail. Within a short walk of the zoo are Hermann Park and the Houston Museum of Natural Sciences (which is EXCELLENT and has a nice butterfly center, a planetarium, IMAX, etc).

Gaido's is the name of the restaurant you mentioned. It's on the Seawall. Miller's is outstanding for breakfast. You can rent bikes or pedi carriages and pedal along the Seawall. There are horse carriages along the Strand. Bishops Palace does have tours.

Thanks...will hit Miller's for breaky:p

Bishops Palace, Moody Mansion, Bryan Museum (one of larger collection of southwestern art and historical artifacts in US), and Opera House are all open for public tours.

Consider tours of Restored Elissa Tall Ship Sailing Schooner, and tour of Dolphin Sight Seeing on Port , and three short Historical Films at Maritime Museum at port

Also Tour of wooden tree sculptures from trees damaged during Hurricane Ike is wonderful.

The Aquarian Pyramid at Moody just completed a 27 million renovation so may be worth it.

The Rain Forest Pyramid at Moody is wonderful for it's tropical Paradise with birds, animals, butterflies and other species.

All the 3 D films are excellent at Moody.

This is exactly what I was hoping for...thanks for taking the time to write.;)

The wooden tree sculptures sound intriguing and I will for sure go see the three historical films. 27 or 37 million dollar renovation (who's counting?) to the AP may indeed be worth a peek:)

I second the advice to tour the tall ship Elisa! I personally also like the Galveston Railroad Museum.

I'm glad you are going to go to the Houston Zoo. Be aware that it will be HOT. If you are driving yourself, I highly recommend that you be there when they open. Parking does fill up. Depending on where you are staying, there's also the option of taking the MetroRail. Within a short walk of the zoo are Hermann Park and the Houston Museum of Natural Sciences (which is EXCELLENT and has a nice butterfly center, a planetarium, IMAX, etc).

Thanks for the advice re: the heat/parking sitch. We will be at Zaza so I'll have them drop us off:) Any good restaurants you can recommend for dinner/lunch within walking distance?