Water level on the Moselle and Main rivers

KathyK13

We are considering a Moselle & Rhine cruise on AMA or Avalon in 2018. There are many discussions on the Danube, Rhine, and Elbe rivers but I haven't seen anything about the Moselle & Rhine. Are these rivers less likely to have problems with high or low water?

We are considering a Moselle & Rhine cruise on AMA or Avalon in 2018. There are many discussions on the Danube, Rhine, and Elbe rivers but I haven't seen anything about the Moselle & Rhine. Are these rivers less likely to have problems with high or low water?

Oops, meant to say the Moselle & Main rivers.;)

Hello KathyK13,

have a look at post #97 here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=53383552#post53383552

As you can see the Moselle has very few problems with low water but will be similar to the Rhine in high water as they are close together and often have similar weather patterns. The Vosges mountains (Alsace - Lorraine) both feed the Rhine and the Moselle!

The Main is similar but I am not familiar with the situation there. The Main is controlled by locks meaning low water is less likely to cause a problem than on the notorious stretches on the Rhine and Danube that are free-flowing.

I assume you are thinking of a trip along the Moselle, Rhine and into the Main like Paris to Nuremberg or similar. In addition to the three rivers you will then be sailing on the Main-Danube-Canal as well. For that reason you are likely to get some info by referring to past cruisers' experiences on the Grand European itineraries.

But I am sure experienced cruisers will answer your question here soon as well.

notamermaid