January/February or September/October for Caribbean cruise?

kren250

Hi! I've started planning my first cruise, which will be sometime in 2019. I'd like to go to the Caribbean.

I was all set to book a cruise tonight for February 2019, but one concern I have is that I'd be flying out of the Minneapolis airport, and of course in Feb. there's always a chance of a blizzard shutting down flights. I would fly down to the port a day early regardless of what time of year I go, but it would be just my luck to have a huge blizzard go through that would mess flights up for more than a day.

On the flip side, if I go in Sept or Oct, then there's the concern of hurricanes and tropical storms in the Caribbean. I'm also not a fan of heat or humidity. Our last trip to Orlando was in September, and I swore never again:'). I've never been to the Caribbean, but I imagine it's the same type of heat and humidity in the early fall. I'm hoping to avoid spring break, summer, Thanksgiving, and Christmas all together due to higher prices and lots of kids.

Any suggestions as to when the best time to go would be? For those who also live in a northern climate, is it better to take your chances with a blizzard or with a hurricane;)?

Weather in the Caribbean will be the same year round. Well, perhaps 5 degrees cooler in winter... If there is a tropical storm/hurricane the ship will sail, but maybe alter route and visit different islands, or maybe just do the itinerary backward. But since you live in a colder climate, I would take the cruise in the winter, so you can more appreciate the warmth. Why leave home when you weather is still pretty good? EM

We love cruising in November, the week after Thanksgiving is our sweet spot, usually.

ETA: we're from Iowa, so the weather is always on our minds!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Edited by Anthomaniac

We are from the tristate area. We did a Caribbean cruise in January last year. Last day of cruise was Snowstorm Jonas and NY/NJ airports were closed for our return home. All our 2-day expenses for our rescheduled flight were covered by our travel insurance. Weather is unpredictable regardless of month. Our insurance takes out the worry in it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

The winter weather will be more unpredictable.

Whatever you do be sure to fly in a day or more before your cruise. If you can arrive two days before all the better.

The only issue with a hurricane is if it impacts the port where you begin or end the cruise. Otherwise if there is a hurricane in the Caribbean then the ship will just alter it course.

If you want to have less risk I would go in September or October.

Keith

A couple of years ago we lost a cruise because of a major snow storm that closed down the Atlanta and Charlotte airports for the better part of 5 days. We were to fly to Tampa 3 days early. The soonest any airline could get us out would have been 2 days after our cruise started. Thank heavens for travel insurance and refundable airline tickets.

Another year we had just started a cruise out of Tampa and were in Key West when the captain announced that because of Hurricane Paula, we would be doing an eastern Caribbean cruise instead of western Caribbean cruise. So if you cruise in hurricane season be prepared for an itinerary change.

I would do Jan/Feb. If there is going to be a major snowstorm, you will know it's coming and can adjust flight to maybe 2 or 3 days in advance. Of course you MUST get the insurance and read the details to know what is covered. Right now ships sailing out of Galveston are being route adjusted because of weather. If you can't get off at ports because of rain and wind, sort of takes the fun out. Not to mention there's no lying on the pool deck in rain either. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think September/October is the safer bet. We live in New York and I am always hesitant to book cruises from Florida during winter because of the weather. We go in April.

If a hurricane foils the cruise and the itinerary is switched that's not such a big issue. But, stressing over the weather is.

Jonathan

I've been in Minneapolis in February (on business - why would I ever do that to myself voluntarily?). That would be the time to get out of town - rather than September or October.

The Caribbean is much the same year round - certainly little weather difference between October and February.

Flying to a port ANY time of year should be at least one day early- I would be inclined to do it two days early in February, to allow for slight increase in flight delay risk - but having an extra day (or two) in South Florida that time of year is not a great hardship.

I would just go whenever time of year you prefer to go. We tend to cruise in the fall and/or winter but live in Florida so flights are not a concern. However, there is always a slight chance that something will happen, no matter what you plan. Just make sure to purchase travel insurance. In the winter, I would fly in two days if at all possible. Orlando is a fun place to hang out for a day or two. If you want to splurge, spend one of your days at Discovery Cove.

I prefer Jan. and Feb. because it's nice to have a break from the winter weather, assuming you live somewhere that has winter. My favorite time to cruise the Caribbean is the week or two after Thanksgiving but before Christmas. Good rates and few children.

Roz

I would go on the winter.

Make sure you buy travel insurance. If need be, insurance will help you catch the ship a day or two late.

About a week before the cruise, start tracking the weather. Look at not only your airport, but also find out where your flight is coming from. Look at any connections you may have.

My plan is always to leave on my flight, fairly early in the day, the day before my cruise. We make sure we are packed and can get away early in case the weather predicts a winter storm and the airline allows free changes. We can always fly out an additional day early.

I also look at alternate airports within a reasonable (6 hour or so) drive. If need be I'll rent a car one way and drive to Little Rock, Louisville, or wherever. Heck - Fort Lauderdale is a 22 hour drive from me. If I know it is coming - I'll drive the whole way.

We love cruising in November, the week after Thanksgiving is our sweet spot, usually.

ETA: we're from Iowa, so the weather is always on our minds!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Fall is our favorite time for several reasons. 11/30 is the wife's birthday, (score a point there), it is one of the cheapest times to cruise, and the water temps are still decent. We sailed Halloween last year and the water was perfect. After December the water cools down a little unless you are cruising farther south. We did a cruise in early spring once and the water in the Bahamas was cool. Air temps are usually upper 70's/ mid- 90's.