Dress Code

gkgk123ca

Why should it be any different ?

Because this is more of an expedition. People spend much of the time outside, bundled up to see the sights. I'd much rather be in jeans and a polo, so I can quickly throw on outer wear and get outside, then in nice slacks and a freshly pressed shirt.

As someone who dresses up as much as I dress down, I personally feel that dress codes are dated and something of the past. I would prefer people be able to dress as they feel most comfortable for the event and to respect how others choose to dress.

So a dress shirt or sweater implies a long sleeve shirt. We'll be cruising the Greek islands in July. By 6pm it will probably have cooled off to around 80 degrees. Do they really expect you to put on a long sleeve shirt (most likely with tee shirt underneath) in 80 degree temps?

And is the shirt required to be tucked in with a belt, or can you wear a long sleeve shirt that is meant to not be tucked in.

Thanks

So a dress shirt or sweater implies a long sleeve shirt. We'll be cruising the Greek islands in July. By 6pm it will probably have cooled off to around 80 degrees. Do they really expect you to put on a long sleeve shirt (most likely with tee shirt underneath) in 80 degree temps?

And is the shirt required to be tucked in with a belt, or can you wear a long sleeve shirt that is meant to not be tucked in.

Thanks

On casual nights you can certainly wear a short sleeve shirt or a long sleeve one that's not tucked in.

I wore "dress" short-sleeved aloha shirts throughout my recent cruise, except for the formal nights. Perfectly accepted and acceptable.

What is an aloha shirt?

My beloved has some short sleeved, check cotton shirts which he wears with dress pants most evenings then, as I don't want to have to bring a suit and dinner suit, it will be a dark suit, white shirt and tie for formal nights (although he does prefer short sleeves to long!)

What is an aloha shirt?

My beloved has some short sleeved, check cotton shirts which he wears with dress pants most evenings then, as I don't want to have to bring a suit and dinner suit, it will be a dark suit, white shirt and tie for formal nights (although he does prefer short sleeves to long!)

You have got to come to Hawaii to find out!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloha_shirt

Here is the kind I was wearing:

http://www.toririchard.com/browse.cfm/in-the-shade/4,2595.html

So a Tommy Bahama short sleeve silk print like this

http://www.tommybahama.com/en/Shut-the-Frond-Door-IslandZone%C2%AE-Camp-Shirt/p/T313609-390

would be OK?

What about something like this:

http://www.tommybahama.com/en/Alongshore-Striped-Shirt/p/T312871-343

untucked?

Here is the printed standard: "Men: slacks with a collared dress shirt."

I don't believe all this. We recently left 2 weeks on the Quest, Lisbon to Copenhagen. Dress was virtually all over the place in terms of style. Generally casual in the Colonnade. Very few men wearing tuxedos on formal optional night….most wearing a dark suit and dress shirt plus tie or jacket (light or dark) with slacks plus shirt and tie. Some omitted the tie. All other nights, men came into the main ding room wearing anything from slacks with jacket and tie (presumably because they just felt like it) to slacks with a sweater. We saw several men wearing jeans, yes JEANS, with just a shirt or sweater….in the MAIN DINING ROOM. Everyone was seated. Nobody died. Get a grip.

• 2 months later...

There MUST be more important things to worry about than what to wear on formal night!

It could be that the Brits care a bit more than some others?

We are regular Seabourn and SilverSeas cruisers. Our last cruise was to St Petersburg from the Tower of London and back.

The passengers were predominantly Brits and we saw a higher ratio of black ties at the formal dinners than we have ever seen before. We hardly saw a pair of male jeans on the boat let alone in the main dining room.

Isn't it more a question of whether you care than what you are 'allowed' to do?

Tony

Edited by T&C Fulham

It may be Brits who care more than Americans but I also suspect it's older people who care more than younger ones. And like it or not the luxury lines are actively pursuing the younger demographic and I predict within five years the only tuxedos one will see is on a cruise to Antarctica where Emperor penguins abound.

It may be Brits who care more than Americans but I also suspect it's older people who care more than younger ones. And like it or not the luxury lines are actively pursuing the younger demographic and I predict within five years the only tuxedos one will see is on a cruise to Antarctica where Emperor penguins abound.

Funnily enough we spent time with people in their 40's and 50's in the second cruise in July and the men wore a tuxedo or black/dark suits on formal night. The women were dressed beautifully. They commented on the fact they enjoyed dressing up. The people who were dressed the most casually including cardigans, jeans and rumpled shorts in the evening looked more into their late 60's and 70's. I am not sure what nationality they were.......nor does it matter.

Julie

The people who were dressed the most casually including cardigans, jeans and rumpled shorts in the evening looked more into their late 60's and 70's.

This has been my observation as well. Those I've socialized with in their 30s-50s have been dressed appropriately for each occasion, both men and women.

I know I look forward to my cruises as an opportunity to dress up as I don't get the opportunity at home often enough (at least not outside of professional settings). It's fun to plan my wardrobe for cruises. (I'm smack in the middle of that younger demographic.)

For what it's worth, I wore floor-length gown on both formal nights on our last cruise and I donned a dress and heels (or the equivalent) the other evenings. I did wear a sundress and nice sandals one evening but that was to dine at the Patio Grill and I felt like I'd need to go out heels on if I was going to have a drink elsewhere afterwards.

I have read the whole of this thread and still don't know whether to pack my OH's Dinner Jacket (tuxedo). When we sailed the last time with Seabourn in 2012 twice on Legend, the majority of gentlemen wore dinner suits, and the rest wore suite and tie. The ladies wore evening dresses, short or long and it was all very glamorous.. From this thread it looks as if this is no longer the case, but I am not sure.. I will be wearing long dresses, but thinking about a dark coloured linen suite for my OH. He is disappointed that DJs are no longer de regeur.

We are on a Canada Cruise leaving in 2 weeks. I am bringing a formal dinner attire (white Jacket and bow tie) to wear on the dressiest evenings. I will also bring a couple of sport coats to wear - with and without ties - on other evenings.

I am probably in the younger age range for Seabourn and have been sailing with then since my twenties. I for one love dressing up and enjoy seeing the effort people have gone to. I have found the younger people to dress very appropriately, and agree with Jen as to who the dressed down age group are.

I would much sooner be over dressed than inappropriately dressed.

I always find it such a shame that there are always some who try to stretch the rules, and in the past have argued with the maitre'd who has not allowed them into the dining room for inappropriate dress. I only wish that all of SB' s maitre'd's would adhere to the dress code all of the time, even if it is out of respect for others.

Edited by Tillylovesseabourn

Jay23

We will be on the same cruise with you just boarding in Monaco. I am bringing a dinner jacket (first opportunity to wear it) and tux as well. My opposite number is bringing a long gown and numerous cocktail dresses. We enjoy looking glamorous (well the wife looks glamorous anyway). See you on board

I cruised with Seabourn in 2011 and the dress was jackets for men in the MDR evenings. Now I look at Seabourn's web site and it indicates jackets not required for men, except formal nights. Can someone tell me for sure if jackets are not required in the MDR except on formal nights? I'm not asking about jeans and shorts, just Jackets!

Also, it indicates the number of formal nights being different on "crossings". How many should I expect on the 12 night Dec 7 Lisbon to FLL?