Is MSC right for us?

cocacola86

We're in our mid 30s, we've cruised Carnival, and next year RC. We don't like to dress up, we don't party or drink, maybe one a day on vacation. We were looking at Oct 2017 to the Med, we just seen an exhibit on Pompei And loved it. What is the dining like, is it more American? How're the shows, do they have Coke cause that's a plus for us. Would you recommend this cruiseline to someone new or look elsewhere

I have done two Med cruises with MSC and enjoyed them both. Actually had a great time once solo and once with my son. Kids used to sail free with them, not sure if that is still the case, and during school holidays (and Half term in Europe) overrun with kids.

The one I did in May last year was much better.

Another negative is that people board at several ports so there is not as much continuity with guests you may meet. Perhaps different table-mates half way through.

MSC in the Med will be distictly Italian with almost exclusively Italian food in the MDR. Seafood is better than meat. The buffet does have a fast food section, but that's about it in terms of American food.

People tend to dress up for gala nights, although this is not an absolute requirement. We've seen people in jeans as well, but that was the absolute minority.

They do serve Coke. I can't remember how much it costs, but might be worth getting a package if you drink lots of it.

Overall we like MCS, but you have to be aware that it is an Italian line with the vast majority of the passengers coming from Italy and other European countries.

We're in our mid 30s, we've cruised Carnival, and next year RC. We don't like to dress up, we don't party or drink, maybe one a day on vacation. We were looking at Oct 2017 to the Med, we just seen an exhibit on Pompei And loved it. What is the dining like, is it more American? How're the shows, do they have Coke cause that's a plus for us. Would you recommend this cruiseline to someone new or look elsewhere

Here's a link to my "MSC from a North American POV" review. It will give you some insight what I believe are differences between an European and North American cruise line experience.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-3/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=262738

Look at the reviews posted on this board. They should give you a good idea of what to expect on board, especially the food, which to me looks yummy.

Do not expect Coca Cola in Europe to taste like the US version. They use a different formulation over there & I personally don't care for it (Tastes almost like Pepsi to me.). However, I have found other European brand sodas that I really like (Kas in Spain for example). If I can't find something that appeals to me, I stick to water or coffee.

We took an MSC Cruise and it was BY FAR the worst cruise among many we have taken. Customer service throughout the company is simply horrible. I would consult the Better Business Bureau rating of MSC as a "F" and read the reasons for it.

Thank goodness for clients like yourself, Arnold.

As, well established cruisers with MSC, we depend on your comments to keep the prices low and the 'grumpies', away !

Lol

Mandy x

• 3 weeks later...

I am not new to cruising, but I am new to MSC. We will have our first MSC experience on Oct 4th on the Musica. I know we will have a great time as what's not to love about cruising! However .... first impressions with their website is not good. IMHO the website and chat service on the website suck compared to other cruise lines I have been on. It is very difficult to navigate and get answers for chat service members. I have just given up. :confused:

Hoping for the best and hoping my first impression changes as soon as we get on board.

Mmmm...we have only done one cruise with MSC but are considering doing another with them.

The main reason is itinerary...they are doing a cruise that ticks our boxes in POC.

One of the main things that stood out to us was the buffet and choice of...for us absolutely the best of all cruise lines and we have cruised with many different cruise lines but for us was the best.

Entertainment ...once again not into production shows but the artists and ambiance in the bars was enough for us.

Quizzes were non existent.

You have to remember that MSC cater for many different nationalities and languages so if you are expecting everything "|English" ...think again

If you want an " an all happening bells and whistle" sort of cruise ...think again. But if you want POC... acceptable standard of entertainment and good food then this cruise line may be for you....it is for us

We took the Divina from Miami and loved it. Quieter and more laid back than Carnival, but more upbeat than HAL. The shows (in my opinion ) were great. The Main Dining food was good, but not amazing. Enjoyed their pizzas and actually really liked the buffet.

Either way, go for it, and have a great time!

With over 90 cruises under my belt I found my cruise on MSC Divina to be one of the worst. My outside "upgrade" cabin was like a shoebox and no way reflected the line's floor plans and images on their website. It was tight for a single so I can't imagine how 2 people would have room. I recently read a review on this website which mentioned that they needed to keep their clothing in their suitcases. The food is nothing to write home about, especially in the main dining room. The dining room is cramped ,the service is slow and poor. I showed up on formal night in a jacket and the rest of my table were in t-shirts. We barely received our desserts one evening when an ass't maitre d' asked us to leave because they needed to set up for the 2nd seating. Not our fault that we first received the dessert. Buffet waiter actually pushed into me because he wouldn't give me the right of way. The pool areas are overcrowded. Good luck finding a lounger/sun bed if you aren't out at the crack of dawn. The only people who seemed to rave are the ones who pay big bucks to be in the Yacht Club. But if you need to spend that kind of money you are better off paying for a luxury line like Crystal or SilverSea. As far as I'm concerned, the only raves on this thread come from people who need to validate their choice. Just take a look at the reviews and see the Divina only scores a 61% approval rating. That ought to give you an idea of how wonderful this line is.

I just came back from cruising with the MSC Preziosa from Aug. 21-28 sailing the Mediterranean and it was my worst cruise of the 4 I've been on. Previously I was on Holland America and 2 Carnival cruises. The services are terrible specially in the buffet areas. We had to fight to get a table everyday. I remembered one day because my hubby was so seasick I went to the medical center, the woman was lecturing me about why my hubby was so sick! My kids rooms were all smelled of smokes. I believe other people were smoking in their rooms so the smokes were coming in to our kids' rooms. We did complain, they did come to clean and it did not work. The bands on the ship were very boring. The over all mood of the ship is not good. The workers don't seem to care and no smiling faces. The ship is pretty new and yet the carpet is not well kept! I would not go on another MSC cruise ship!

My husband and I have cruised with MSC three times, twice on the Poesia and once on Divina. We have booked our second cruise on MSC Divina. As a person, who values other people's opinions, I heavily depend on this board. What I have learned that the truth lies somewhere between "this cruise was the worst," and "this cruise was the best." This is true no matter what cruise line you book. We have cruised Carnival, Norwegian, and Royal Caribbean. What I have found is that the better prepared you are for your cruise, the better the cruise should be. I take advantages of any hints, tips, and advice given by cruisers on ships, ports, and excursions. I find out what dishes are recommended and know which dishes to avoid. In short, know as much about your cruise before you leave. I have never been disappointed by MSC. I would cruise MSC more often if they left from Port Canaveral.

With over 90 cruises under my belt I found my cruise on MSC Divina to be one of the worst. My outside "upgrade" cabin was like a shoebox and no way reflected the line's floor plans and images on their website. It was tight for a single so I can't imagine how 2 people would have room. I recently read a review on this website which mentioned that they needed to keep their clothing in their suitcases. The food is nothing to write home about, especially in the main dining room. The dining room is cramped ,the service is slow and poor. I showed up on formal night in a jacket and the rest of my table were in t-shirts. We barely received our desserts one evening when an ass't maitre d' asked us to leave because they needed to set up for the 2nd seating. Not our fault that we first received the dessert. Buffet waiter actually pushed into me because he wouldn't give me the right of way. The pool areas are overcrowded. Good luck finding a lounger/sun bed if you aren't out at the crack of dawn. The only people who seemed to rave are the ones who pay big bucks to be in the Yacht Club. But if you need to spend that kind of money you are better off paying for a luxury line like Crystal or SilverSea. As far as I'm concerned, the only raves on this thread come from people who need to validate their choice. Just take a look at the reviews and see the Divina only scores a 61% approval rating. That ought to give you an idea of how wonderful this line is.

Thanks for the review. Wow a 61 percent approval rating.

Am considering a December Divina cruise, as the price is great. If another line/ship has an attractive price, I will have to think about it.

I guess me considering MSC is out of curiosity and of course the great price, in that I want to see for myself. I have heard both sides, and mostly like what you have said.

Happy sailing.

Thanks for the review. Wow a 61 percent approval rating.

Am considering a December Divina cruise, as the price is great. If another line/ship has an attractive price, I will have to think about it.

I guess me considering MSC is out of curiosity and of course the great price, in that I want to see for myself. I have heard both sides, and mostly like what you have said.

Happy sailing.

Yes, they snag you with a price. When I sailed on Divina I went to a Cruise Critic gathering the MSC rep was begging us to allow for the fact that they were new to the American/Caribbean market. ***? They were using us to cut their teeth! And it looks like the European sailings are even worse since they don't bother with what American cruisers are used to. Also, since the European cruises may have several embarkation points, if you have a gty category they can make you move during the week. The folks with Yacht Club accommodations loved the cruise but they are paying big bucks for the special treatment. One issue I forgot to address is the safety drill. If you are way atop the ship and need to get to your muster station, with the elevators shut down, it becomes a Costa nightmare to get to your station. I just remained by the pool since they don't bother the guests as many people do back-to-backs and aren't required to attend (other cruise lines do require you to attend the safety drill for each sailing). MSC doesn't offer anything above and beyond on the mass marketed cruise lines, so there is no reason to book with them, other than not being able to afford a cruise on another line.

You could really go for it and cruise on the ship due in service in june 2017, the MSC Meraviglia, It sails out of Barcelona on Oct 6; 13; 20 and 27.

By the time it gets to October the crew should be up to full speed and all the teething problems ironed out.

It will still only be 4 months old then.

As nobody has been on one of these ships yet there will be no preconceived ideas about it.

An added bonus, for you, is one of the ports of call is Naples which is the port for Pompeii.

The itinerary is Barcelona, Marseille, Genoa, Naples , Messina, Tunis, day at sea, Barcelona.

I've booked to go on her in September embarking at Genoa. It will be my 15th cruise on MSC!!!

there have been some good deals on her. I booked into the Yacht Club and got a YC1 balcony for £1300pp ($1950pp) for my sailing. so look out for a deal and get on board.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

You could really go for it and cruise on the ship due in service in june 2017, the MSC Meraviglia, It sails out of Barcelona on Oct 6; 13; 20 and 27.

By the time it gets to October the crew should be up to full speed and all the teething problems ironed out.

It will still only be 4 months old then.

As nobody has been on one of these ships yet there will be no preconceived ideas about it.

An added bonus, for you, is one of the ports of call is Naples which is the port for Pompeii.

The itinerary is Barcelona, Marseille, Genoa, Naples , Messina, Tunis, day at sea, Barcelona.

I've booked to go on her in September embarking at Genoa. It will be my 15th cruise on MSC!!!

there have been some good deals on her. I booked into the Yacht Club and got a YC1 balcony for £1300pp ($1950pp) for my sailing. so look out for a deal and get on board.

Pete

OMG Pete, thanks so much for the tip! I just saw an offer with similar price on Msc Belgium, to spend my birthday on style in October 2017! I'm going for it :-) thanks again!!!!

I disembarked Divina this week. To my surprise, it was Pepsi and 7Up onboard. I'd only ever seen Coke and Sprite on other MSC ships before.